Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who say they are Simpsons fans but actually hate 40-80% of their "favorite show" and are constantly spouting off about the fact are garbage, and it shouldn't be socially acceptable.

If I was constantly talking about how I loved burgers but really what I love is just eating a single bite of the bun and then throwing the rest out somebody would call me out on it eventually but nope none of that for "Simpsons fans".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was so very very very much wacky stuff, weird writing, lazyness, cutaways, pointless celebrity appearances, and "Family Guy bullshit" in the early seasons. You have nostalgia for it because you were younger back then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It had definitely become more mean-spirited and a lot of the heart had left.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dogmeat posted:

have you not clicked on any of the links in this thread? also talking about the simpsons isn't socially acceptable thats why were doing it here

I voted for the Gaga episode, which I've seen. The only clip I haven't seen is the tik tok riff because I can't bring myself to.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

It's more like you start out eating 5 Guys burgers, but gradually over time they turn into Wendy's burgers, then McDonald's burgers, then one day you look down and you're eating some plastic wrapped microwave burger from a gas station

The Simpsons is on season 28. If you stopped watching at season 13, you've missed over half of the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Better way to underscore the enormity of the show: there have been 356 Simpsons episodes since Homer got raped by a panda.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Critic should have gotten six more seasons minimum.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PallasAthene posted:

Make way, make way, you comedy peons. Famous movie star coming through, and I'm carrying something you've never seen before: It's called "talent!"

Penguins can't fly!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This is now the Critic thread. Welcome.

https://youtu.be/oaWyVjgBbnU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

While I love the Critic, it was wearing thin by the third season

There are always new movies so there's always more material.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

True, but that just goes along with the idea that you should never bring a cancelled show back. Ever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

i read that entire "Zombie Simpsons" book-like thing and the part about how the only things that will take them off the air are unprofitability or a voice actor's death got me thinking: the only death of a recurring voice since Phil Hartman was the woman who voiced Mrs. Krabappel. about 18 years passed between deaths. iirc she wasn't a regular either

i guess the secret to their seeming immortality is Scientology. i know that Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson) is in, but who else of the six actors are part of that racket?

Doris Grau bro

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

I called my big cat Bitey.

For real.

When I was 12 we got two new cats and me and my younger sibling each got to name one.

I named mine Tibor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That 90's episode marked the point of divergence between the me who had doggedly stayed with the show from my childhood through the poo poo years and the new person who didn't care any more. The man I was before I saw that was dead, and I greeted the new future with fear and trepidation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I will still argue up and down with people about their rosy memories of the first bunch of seasons. There were plenty of:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet
2. Pointless celebrity cameos
3. Bad writing wackyness

All the very specific criticisms people constantly level at the later seasons are there in the early seasons. You are glossing over them because of nostalgia. However, the early seasons could get by with lazy writing and lazy animation BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Okay so you also agree that the first bunch of seasons were better so your point is what now?

My point is that the very specific criticisms leveled against the later seasons, too many cutaways, too many celebrity guests, bad writing, bad animation, thin stories, that sort of critical eye is not applied to the early seasons because any criticisms of those episodes are papered over by nostalgia. However, the early seasons are actually funny, nostalgia or no, and that excuses everything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I liked the random people who were in early season crowd scenes. Not every group of Springfielders had to be Professor Frink, Bumblebee Man, and Sideshow Mel. There were actually unnamed random people around.

Also they gave Reverend Lovejoy's denomination of Christianity a name and I loving hate it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's "Marge on the Lam".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9Q5yCocTw

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Episode was good, for new Simpsons.

You can't compare a burger from a nice restaurant and a burger from Wendy's. As far as Wendy's burgers go, Sunday's was a tasty one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Last Chance posted:

I'm going to watch last night's Simpsons episode later today and if you're wrong and I end up wasting my time... That's a paddlin.

I hope you've seen a few recent season episodes, so you've got your expectations properly lowered.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bill Murray backed right out of being in Krusty Gets Kancelled, and they had all these lines written for him and a storyline and everything.

Source: a podcast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

it's probably the closest original show Adult Swim has ever hosted that matches the quality of oldschool Simpsons or Futurama and it's possiblyy the funniest animated show out there at the moment imo

I mean, it's no Drawn Together.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

haljordan posted:

Which was worse: that or Brickleberry?

My post was a joke, but Drawn Together definitely had its moments.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Drawn Together to me was just that 'other original animated show on CC that wasn't South Park' It's a premise that tried too hard to be mature and edgy and it sort of became one note. But I find a lot of stuff like this is sort of the same when people try parody and satire. How do you make a funny satire/parody of pop culture archtypes? Essentially, the answer is everyone is a sex addict, a horrible person, a stereotype or just idiots.

The Awesomes, Drawn Together, Supermansion... I'm not saying it can't be funny, but it seems like that's about all they can think of to do with things like that. Do something different with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZA1LvnMbY0

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 26, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

No, Tom Goes to the Mayor was very bad

Why, I must have accidentally stumbled into the Thread of Bad Opinions! Silly me!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Drawn Together made me physically uncomfortable at times, but it was also incredibly funny other times. Drawn Together was good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Don't have a cow, man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Any episode where they try to incorporate present day stuff is hated by fans, any episode where they reboot the series would be hated by fans x1000. Look at the poo poo around the new title sequence.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you didn't love how Jerry had a framed picture of the stupid Rick he made friends with you are dead inside.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was watching an episode of The Critic a few weeks ago and it struck me how much I wish they'd do a live-action movie of the show if only to cast Chris Hemsworth as Jeremy Hawke and keep Lovitz in the role of Jay.

Jay Sherman was supposed to be in his mid-late 30's at the oldest.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

For two years I lived in front of a bar, next door to another bar, across the street from another bar, and I always thought about Frank Grimes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The season 28 finale is legit good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was good about it?

I wish someone respectable would make a list of all the legit good episodes after season 10. It would be cool to have a playlist of good Simpsons episodes I've never seen.

There's like one really really good laugh out loud joke, some amusing parts, and I wasn't offended or outraged by any of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

I think people who don't like the episode are legitimately afraid of their own feelings and have terrible relationships with their families

I loving hate that episode and I'm glad other people do too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

berth ell pup posted:

7 is the best season of the simpsons as almost every episode is gold. It starts to crack in 8, 9 is eh 10 it becomes bad.

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.

Why would we listen to a poster who still doesn't know how to use a touch tone?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I posted a video a while back that analyzes why that episode is the turning point for the Simpsons. The video says that it's not a bad episode in itself, but it's where the Simpsons turns the corner from the golden era to the decline.

The episode those people were thinking of was the Stonecutter's episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does any other show have that freedom? Curb started in 2000 and it's 9th season is premiering this year.

I thought Aqua Teen was crazy with its starting in 2000 and ending in 2015 after only 11 seasons. Imagine a show running from 1967 to 1982.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Reading those fake/not fake episodes