Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Plus it has Troy McClure. End of story, it's a good ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
^^^ ugh

And yeah, I really like those moments where Bart and Lisa get some blending of their characterization, so they're not just exhibiting their core character traits over and over all the time. Plus Yeardley and Nancy were (once upon a time) really good at matching the vocals to make the turn seem totally genuine.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
4-6 (around that range) have some very good jokes and episodes, sone of my favorites. Same with South Park's 6-10 run, which I'd call the best of that show even though it's after the initial hype of it all.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

Season 8 had some episodes, where Homer randomly picks up a new skill and it becomes his new job. I hate that. There is the boxing episode " "The Homer They Fall" and the Poochie episodes, which are fun, but are bad in later seasons

This is not a real complaint. You like the episodes because they're funny and have sharp writing and the later season ones are dull and mindless. That shows that the premise of Homer going through a wacky experience is not inherently bad.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Remember that time when Quagmire raped Marge? Was that the lowest point?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I never got the big deal. It was a funny episode, and everything went back to normal at the end.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I remember being really pissed at how dumb navigating the player controls was too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I have to throw my support behind the episodes like Tomacco too. Those ones have many decent, oddball Simpsons-y jokes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
How on earth does that joke make sense. Lisa was there when he died, she was 8, and obviously contemporaneous with whatever he could possibly reference. I hope the show gets cancelled over this blunder.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Whorelord posted:

"A certain agitator - for her privacy's sake, let's call her Lisa S... No that's too obvious. Let's say L. Simpson."

Oh yeah lmao. no episode with Troy McClure can be called anything bad, portentous or actualized. Classic episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently, I'm way behind on the new Simpsons. I rewound an episode in Hulu at some point and Hulu was just like "well, you aren't caught up so we aren't tell you when there's new ones anymore".

In the one from earlier this month, Lisa gets called up to the high school band due to an illness. She finds out that Shauna Chalmers (relatively new character, superintendent's daughter, girlfriend of one of the bullies) is a skilled percussionist. They bond and poo poo. Lisa convinces her to audition for first chair, and Shauna beats out Martin's older brother.

The superintendent gets Homer into home brewing. They bond and poo poo.

Shauna impresses the high school QB and gets invited to a party. She arranges for him to swing by and grab a case of her dad's beer, but the teens wind up stealing all of it. The party turns into a rager and Shauna abandons Lisa to make out with the QB, freaking Lisa out enough for her to call the cops. Chalmers shows up to get his beer back and gets arrested for providing booze to minors. The cops discover that Homer forgot to put the yeast into the beer so it wasn't alcoholic after all. Lisa and Shauna make up later.

Martin's older brother?!?!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
yeeeeesh

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

oh was about to ask if he voiced himself.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/At_Long_Last_Leave 2012 Feb? So he would then go to the embassy Aug of that year. (and quickly annoy the Ecuador sooo much they evoke his wifi access and make him live in a broom closet)

iirc this was when people still thought he was a good guy and not a Russian tool.

America sucks more

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I... Like that episode

There's nothing wrong with that episode. What I hate about the post-10 seasons of Simpsons is not contained in that episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The biggest problem with the later seasons is that they just felt wrong

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
we watched it over home cooked dinner at 5 o clock every day for years

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
star wars was the poo poo when it was just that vhs set

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
the best for me was the disco graph and the fish in his platform shoes

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
No

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
No

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lisa the Skeptic was a warning of things to come. Homer is full jerkass, the entire town instantly assembles around the angel so we can hear from Sideshow Mel, and they later become a mob at the drop of a hat as mobs are always funny and need to be in every episode.

I thought you meant Lisa the Iconoclast at first and we were going to have to have words. But yeah, that one doesn't work perfectly, and it's an illegitimate child of Lisa the Iconoclast and Bart's Comet. It has some funny Skinner stuff, which is my barometer on good and bad Simpsons. Once the townspeople chiming in started to become tedious and boring instead of a delight as it is in 2-8, that's when the show outlived its purpose.

And I think the problem with Marge Be Not Proud for me was along the same lines as that guy who didn't like the nastiness. It's just a whole lot of lying and anxiety over lying for half the episode, and Bart just getting in trouble over and over again. The better, earlier episodes where a character is in crisis aren't like that. They give a little room to breathe for the ""drama"" and some other characters eventually get to help. It's not just one character's interior struggle until the ending. Also it's too sappy and there aren't enough jokes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Phil Hartman does not coincide with any Simpsons downturn, I'm sorry.

Maybe the realty episode. Which I still love.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, Paul and Linda McCartney!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Well it's also not the entire basis for the joke. That's another thing that Bad Simpsons does. Dwell, endlessly, on any joke they make because that's the one the scene gets.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Dingers!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

no that one was Marge Be Not Proud

this is the one where the townspeople rob the simpsons at the end of the episode

i absolutely conflated these two

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I think we can all agree that the telltale signs were in Lemon of Troy and every episode since then was a hollow, spiteful drudgery

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

This is generally a well-regarded episode, isn't it? I hated it.

I was just loving around. It's one of my favorite episodes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Who Shot Mister Burns Part 1 was really good too. They should make a whole show that's nothing but good episodes like that

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

I've got the first season of The Simpsons on right now and I don't know how anyone can think this is bad. Is it as good as the best seasons? Of course not but there are a lot of fantastic jokes that come at a slightly slower pace. But the edge for 1989 network television is amazing. I can only imagine what it was like to see it on TV when it first aired. I was far too young to appreciate it from that angle back in the day. It's great stuff.

The early Tracy Ullman shorts are.. okay. I put those on first and I bet those were more fun in context of that show though instead of just plowing through them all in one sitting.

I'll never watch it again if I don't have to. It's not the same as the show I like in the other seasons.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
And lol that every stirring of the corpse gets its own twitter celebration that just makes it seem all the more desperate. Every time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

TengenNewsEditor posted:

the first time homer says 'dealie' the episode is good
every other time homer says 'dealie' the episode is bad
good night

There are a lot of these and it's depressing to think about (ok not depressing, I'm over it, but you know what I mean).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

this was horrifyingly difficult

Yeah I thought I could do it, and I've watched the episodes with those endings and don't think they're all bad, but I can't connect any of them except the slap of Zorro one. The Tomacco one's a good episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
What was the point of the Simpsons

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Good example of where Homer's spontaneous singing started to feel implausible and weird, and it's in season 5.

e: so was the Be Sharps. I wonder if they were consciously trying to make it a "thing"

no!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
3 is where the gettin gets good

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I'm sure Quimby has done something similar

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Back when the voice actors were trying even obvious punchline underlining like that could be funny. Some of those jokes that get cut for syndication are like this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I'd happily rewatch most of those season 10 episodes. They're like your dumber kids, you're less proud of them but you still like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
They are not