Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

death by computer posted:

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.
that episode ended up being a dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In the early 2000s, there was a Treehouse of Horror episode where one of the bits involved Springfield getting rid of all of its guns, which brought Billy the Kid, a different Wild West outlaw, and Kaiser Wilhelm II back from the dead. They proceed to terrorize the town, and after it's resolved, somebody (maybe it was Moe?) says something about "getting me a cavewoman hooker." That was a truly awful bit of Simpsons history.

People here have talked about The Simpsons being "mean-spirited" lately, and I'll take their word for it. It's a shame, because while classic Simpsons was subversive and cynical about society, it always had love for its characters, especially the family. Sucks to see it fall into the same trap as Family Guy has.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

upon further research apparently frank grimes jr. did not die. but it was still a thing they seriously did
yeah, they brought frank grimes jr. as a mysterious person who was trying to kill homer, and they hired sideshow bob to find out his identity. during the big reveal, he said "my dad like hookers." fuckin cringey bullshit

"the principal and the pauper" wasn't bad on its own, but combined with other lowlights of Season 9, it signaled the true beginning of the end of The Simpsons. the episode where the kids were abandoned on the island, the episode where they turned Ralph Wiggum from a lovable idiot to a special ed kid with rear end in a top hat habits, and "Realty Bites" were pretty bad too. one episode doesn't tell the tale of when The Simpsons took a turn for the worse

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scudworth posted:

The messed up thing about that episode is that as soon as the kids get to the island it's not a parody or a satire or a "send-up" of Lord of the Flies, it's just straight-up Lord of the Flies, which has no comedy potential to begin with. Zero. I can't imagine how confusing this episode is for people who haven't read it, not that it makes any sense if you have. It's some boring weird poo poo to take up more than half a cartoon show with.
the icing on the cake is when the narrator wraps it up by just saying that moe saved the kids. no explanation, no how he did it, he just picked a random name and said that was it

honestly that episode might have been worse than The Principal and the Pauper, but that one just had the unfortunate timing of being released first

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read that entire "Zombie Simpsons" book-like thing and the part about how the only things that will take them off the air are unprofitability or a voice actor's death got me thinking: the only death of a recurring voice since Phil Hartman was the woman who voiced Mrs. Krabappel. about 18 years passed between deaths. iirc she wasn't a regular either

i guess the secret to their seeming immortality is Scientology. i know that Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson) is in, but who else of the six actors are part of that racket?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only other thing i know yeardley smith from was a brief appearance in City Slickers, where she tells one of the friends who go on the ranch trip that she's pregnant and he's probably the father
she died before Phil Hartman. or are you saying she was a scientologist too?

TwoStepBoog posted:

lol I picked a random later episode to read the plot of and it involves Comic Book Guy getting married to a young Japanese girl writing a manga with the help of Homer and Stan Lee.
when FXX had that Every Simpsons Ever marathon a couple years back, the NY Times did an editor's choice list of the best episodes of the show. this was the only post-Season 8 episode that made it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not sure what year Season 19 was, but an episode called "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" was one of two post-Season 9 episodes voted on as a Top 100 all-time episode by fans of an active Simpsons online community. thanks to the goon that posted the link to that Zombie Simpsons site btw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my favorite episode is probably "Boy Scoutz N Da Hood"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

My favorite episode is Homer Badman, and could you imagine the thinkpieces that would create in YOOL 2017
i watched that episode recently and something struck me: not only has society not changed when it comes to someone trying to redeem themselves for saying or doing a bad thing, it's become more widespread in the age of social media

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, the show seems to have nothing positive to say about religion anymore and it's kind of ugly the way that anytime Christianity is brought up in the show, it's to tap the well of "haha, look at this superstitious, pious boob."
now i wanna fire up "Homer the Heretic" again, that episode was good and also had the exact opposite message

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yet another incident of "this joke was done much better in the old days"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"the principal and the pauper" gets all the ire among fans because it was the first episode of season 9 that felt off. the Lord of the Flies episode was worse, and if any number of those not-as-good episodes were in the place of that one, it would be the one fans point to as the downfall

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there any examples of a celebrity being brought in for a Simpsons episode, seeing how dumb the script is or how retardedly they're used and refusing to do it?
i doubt it. too much money and vanity involved

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Irradiation posted:

Ugly Americans didn't deserve to be canceled.
i'm still upset that Brickleberry got a third season and that didn't. doug (the koala, not the Nick cartoon character) for life

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the best episodes of futurama definitely play to more of a niche, while the best simpsons episodes have a broader appeal

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that Review is getting a proper sendoff. with the ratings it's gotten, you'd think Comedy Central would throw it to the curb and say "gently caress you" to the fans. it's dark as hell but never stops being hilarious

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They keep getting dumb shows that get rating spikes piggybacking off other premiers and hyping up some stupid popular memes and then Comedy Central is like alright let's give them 4 seasons even though they barely have enough material for one and then cut all the actual writers off after one season despite giving them poo poo time slots and no bumps or perks. And now they have like no new shows because all those hot-right-now idiots have fizzled and they've pissed off like a bakers dozen of the best comedy writers in the industry hoping for a new South Park cash cow when they could have had like 6 or more really funny shows. Not even an opportunity for people to develop characters. :shrug:
they still get good shows regardless. Detroiters is funny, and my friend likes Jeff and Some Aliens, though he does have lower standards. plus, they picked off Broad City from FX

i gave Legends of Chamberlain Heights a shot but the third episode (about the eight millionth The Warriors parody made since the movie came out) was stupid and not nearly funny enough to make up for the stupid stereotype jokes, so i quit after that. and Moonbeam City deserved to be treated much better than it did

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah fuckin review, broad city, another period, Beavis and butthead (4 episodes blech), all canceled. And then poo poo like workaholics and brickleberry get like 4 season contracts off a pilot with some black magic humor that only some high level corporate sadist buttlickers are gonna feel the slightest twitch in their flaccid worm penis over or know is funny. :shrug:
uhhhhh did you just say that Broad City got canceled? this better not be true

iirc Brickleberry got only 3 seasons, which was still too many

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't see another season of broad city maybe they broke the 2 season curse of actually funny poo poo or..?
they did, since the third season happened last year. the middle episodes were a step below its usual quality (let's never, ever speak of the Hillary Clinton episode again) but the beginning and end were top-notch as always

i thought you meant that there isn't gonna be a fourth season, which would be weird because they announced that the show was getting it right before the debut of the third

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 27, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

for whatever reason, i have the DVDs of the first season of Drawn Together. most of what i remember was the pig forcing the Pikachu ripoff make shoes in a sweatshop because "lol asians," followed by the Pikachu killing something with "honor." also the Disney princess and the black fox woman were lesbians or something

it's pretty bad. the superhero is a decent character though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't remember the jockey elves episode at all. i'm glad i don't

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"That's Lobstertainment" was based on vaudeville and old Hollywood, so there was more thought behind the premise than, say, the "Susan Boil" episode (ugh). it's just that those are two topics that not many people know about

NiceGuy posted:

Search your dark heart, and fear not the answer you find inside

it didnt
it seems plausible, though. when i stopped watching the Simpsons once and for all, they were really playing up the "lenny and carl could be a gay couple" angle

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I dunno, I never really liked Rick and Morty as much as Futurama on the whole. It kind of annoys me how Rick doesn't get much comeuppance through most of the show and it can be really reliant on 'So Randumb!' humor (I hate most of the inter dimensional TV stuff).
i didn't like the first half of Rick & Morty season 1, thought the second half was good, and liked the second season. by the end of that he shows unusual selflessness, and it comes out of left field because he really is a piece of poo poo

i definitely understand why people wouldn't like a show where the main character doesn't get knocked down a peg- that's why i hate Girls so much. i do think it's funny but not as transcendent as its fans say. it's definitely a lot of homage humor

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

venture bros. is the superior homage comedy on Adult Swim anyway

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?
that describes everything about Rick outside of being a self-insert. it's telling that the humor on the show comes from the pop culture parallels and retellings than from the characters. you can only get so much mileage out of making GBS threads on the dad for being an unemployed sad sack

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scudworth posted:

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.
i thought Rick was a character created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, where they just made Doc Brown from Back to the Future a drunk rear end in a top hat. shame

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah but I didn't say art I said "modern art". It reminds me of those weird videos you can see at modern art museums that are designed to make the viewer as uncomfortable as possible.
take THAT taste the pain

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sketch_nimrod posted:

much like the simpsons this thread started off as smart and thought provoking then evolved into a bunch of retarded assholes shouting at each other
there's only so much mileage over saying how much the simpsons suck. hell if people are gonna go into stuff past season 14

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the episode name tonight is "22 for 30" and here's the description

quote:

In this parody of a cable sports show, Bart goes from delinquent with detention to the star basketball player at Springfield Elementary. Lisa covers Bart's success for the school paper, and Homer becomes the team’s coach. Things go awry when Bart gets involved with the mafia.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Cape Feare" is the best Sideshow Bob episode imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.
way back in this thread, there was a post of two videos with the same joke about the Buckingham Palace guards. one was from "Bart Vs. Australia" and it was a 15-20 second video, ending with the american embassy guard punching homer in the face. the other one was from some episode where they go to China and it was more than 4 minutes of homer getting the poo poo kicked out of him. also Marge explains the joke in it

they can't even make good joke rehashes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the simpsons arcade game owned

Megaspel posted:

I'm going to say it's probably when they decided Homer was a flat Earth truther.

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/812165205442449408
this twitter account also owns
https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/844953420561723392

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only show on network tv that i find consistently entertaining is The Mick

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just tried watching the one about Bart dissecting frogs and I turned it off after five minutes. How the gently caress do you get a job writing for an enormously well-known, highly-rated, culturally significant show like The Simpsons and write humor so infuriatingly half-assed? I have to imagine there are tons of legit talented, funny comedians out there that would probably kill for a chance to be on the writing staff for a show like this and make it funny again. Certainly Fox can afford to pay actual talent for it. Why does everything play like some hungover screenwriting student whipped something up the night before a due date?
dana gould wrote for the simpsons for a while and the show slid into irrelevancy during that time, even though he's quite funny

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a good part about this that conan o'brien and presumably other simpsons writers during this time went to harvard, so there's a sense of self-deprecation in addition to it having more laughs in 15 seconds than most modern simpsons episodes have in their entire runtime

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i didn't really like the rick and morty ep that just dropped because it was character-driven, and rick is a lovely character. it's better when it's making fun of sci-fi plots

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd rather not know the context or the joke they made about this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The context is college students these days
this season's episodes sound like they have more in common with some Baby Boomer-blowing CBS show than The Simpsons

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only lasting legacy of latter-day simpsons is the fact that a minor league baseball team got its name from the episode where they were planning to move the Springfield Isotopes to Albuquerque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I believe the flash forward where Lisa is president and Bart is a fuckup as well the fake behind the scenes episode that finished off their season were meant to be the original series finale. Interestingly I remember the first episode I mentioned getting panned when it was released, a lot of people called it a low point for the series.

If only they knew.
tbf there were a bunch of new lows for the simpsons from season 11 onwards