Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

When the Simpsons movie ripped off a scene from a Leslie Nielsen movie verbatim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JogttpcKFIA
(skip to 2:16)

What's this kind of comedy called and how come nobody is making them today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Libelous Slander posted:

A Leslie Nielson comedy, and because he's dead and Scary Movie made money.

It reminds me in some way of George Burns and Gracie Allen type stuff. Like the way Gracie will turn literally every sentence or phrase into a joke or goof. I've seen Airplane and I loved it, I guess I'll just go through his wikipedia and check out all of his comedies.

Also I just watched that Lena Dunham clip and ugh. Simpsons celebrity versions don't usually look very much like whoever it's supposed to be, but drat, that's a new low. It looks more like how'd they'd draw a hipster asian woman. They also gave her the arm tat but not the turkey that defines it. If I were drawing her, that's where I'd start. Begin at the beefy arm and shoulder, work my way up to the frumpy spoiled princess face, scratch in some "hair wont fix this anyway" hair style. I don't know how they got from Lena to their little hipster fashion model design.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Libelous Slander posted:

some are the best some kinda suck tbh and there is no objective way to select. Mr Magoo was loved by many but I didn't see it more than once. I really love Spy Hard but a lot of people rate it as one of the worst ones. The Naked Gun trilogy is great though and should be watched, just to see how it evolves over time. also if you haven't seen Hot Shots or Hot shots: part deux, you should check them out. Lastly, Loaded Weapon is a great B-comedy

I don't think I saw any of those. Maybe Naked Gun when I was a kid, does he get mad about buying hotdogs in that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That kid is like 60 years old by now the power plant just really hosed up everyone's aging, they're all immortal until they're just gone

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That hypothetical friends is so much better than the one we got.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

vegetables posted:

The idea of Marge being sad about Bart growing up is always mildly sinister to me given he has now been 10 years old for 36 years

It's almost like they're daring themselves to slightly advance the show timeline.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tarkus posted:

It wouldn't be a bad idea for them to shift the show forwards in age. Homer and Marge being either quite old or dead, Bart/Lisa have kids of their own and family and they have a whole new set of problems and lore. It'd work.

It could also help some folks retire, get some new talent a reliable gig.

Homer should be a different kind of out of touch grandpa to his grandkids by now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Costco and IKEA are the only places left to get cheap hotdogs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not what the joke was

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've caught one or two of the later Halloween episodes before and I seem to recall that being a recurring thing, that they more or less became straight horror with fewer funny bits for levity. In particular, there was more extensive and gruesome violence a la something like Rick and Morty. This then extended into non-Halloween episodes with bizarre poo poo like Sideshow Bob cutting his face off and Grampa's eyes falling out.

I know some of the older ones had some pretty nasty things in them too, but they usually went circle with it until it was funny again, like them turning inside out and then doing a parody of A Chorus Line. I like horror, but I don't think straight horror works with something like The Simpsons, which (at its peak) was otherwise super charming and let you develop a connection with the characters in a domestic setting, despite said characters being yellow cartoon people. That, and they were also very funny, but like the Bad Dream House salesman, I think I've mentioned that five or six times.

I think it's best when there's a mix of straight horror tales with others that are more like surreal or bizarre Simpsons twists too weird for the normal episodes. It's the worst when it's just jokes and goofs on some horror franchise or story, just thoughtlessly running the cast through a parody.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're gonna hate when you get to an episode with Itchy and Scratchy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Newest episode has Bart and Lisa get Margery a childhood parrot she apparently had but it was a menace and she hated it.

I think Carl and Lenny might have new voice actors so why didn't they do that for Apu? Bart was sounding off in the episode as well. I think they forgot about Maggie that episode bc I don't think she shows up once but I guess I also forget Maggie because maybe she usually doesn't show up and I don't notice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It really should not be hard to give him decent back story and characterization. Really embarrassing failure on their part on all around.

YeahTubaMike posted:

In the most recent episode I saw, he didn't sound like a 10 year old boy -- he sounded (understandably) like an adult woman. I don't know if that's the "off" you're talking about, but it was certainly the "off" that I observed.

Yeah that's about it, lost the kind of high pitched back of squeeze throat boyishness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I laughed at some of the bird gags, more than at Homer's whole fear mongering app arc.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha the first Simpsons movie was one of only 2 movies my group walked out of.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Saw this on reddit the other day:

I grew up in IL and there was no question among anyone I knew that we were in "the midwest".

Lmao at the people in Oklahoma and Arkansas in denial they're part of the lovely south.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even Nintendo semi-retired Mario's voice because actors don't last forever.

Eh, no way they swapped him because he can't do it anymore, he definitely can and does in his weird "we can't just fire Mario" job. They just got someone cheaper with a worse contract, who can initiate the Mario voice and do some extra work for way less. Nintendo probably also doesn't want its VAs having big notable names. they got lucky with Martinet just being a nice grandpa Mario. Idk the new Mario va name and I wouldn't be surprised if they just grabbed another next time or in a few games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a lot of consoles and games he appears in over the years, different voice direction too I'm sure.

There's a guy on YouTube who does excruciating doves into the voice actor history of Nintendo characters. The first couple were pretty interesting, but then because they were interesting he made money off of them and is now cursed to a lifetime of scraping increasingly obscure tidbits vaguely related to Nintendo audio to make obnoxious thumbnail algorithm fodder for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finally got around to some of the new Futurama episodes. At first I couldn't tell which were new new and which were from the previous revival. But then you definitely could tell by the voices where the new new began. Not quite Simpsons bad, but noticeable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
literally announcing their parody very slowly to the exclusion of actual visual gags or a few quick jokes is such hostile execution it feels like everyone involved had to be forced to do it under duress.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought he said green version of Millhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Awesomesaurus posted:

It’s weird how random parts of the new Simpsons are suddenly over-animated, but it still manages to look like poo poo.

Haha yeah some of the hot dog mans laughter you could tell someone was doing their best to make it look like hearty laughter but then it just kind of sticks out, not used to seeing simpson do a micro expression in between frames for a scene laughing at their own bit.