Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Moon Atari posted:

Someone has to do something. It can't be allowed to go on any longer.

"Mr. Huts!!"

"You'd be surprised how often that works; you really would!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The kind of sense of humor (and the STYLE with which it is carried) that the Critic used felt almost one of a kind, and it's hard to find something similar these days.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Aesop Poprock posted:

The closest thing is probably Bob's Burgers mixed with family guy in that it genuinely liked the characters it portrayed but had a lot of pop culture/cut away scenes. But it was way before either of those shows was a thing so I'd guess it probably gained the most influence from Leslie Nielsen comedies?

I really do need more Leslie Nielsen in my life. The bits I caught of The Naked Gun really do seem up my alley.

Fully agreed on Bob's Burgers.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Critic should have gotten six more seasons minimum.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
When Homer is working at the kwik E mart and sleeping on the job, Flanders acts naughty by giving him exact change and walking away chuckling. Great character moment.

All of that is gone.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

it blows my mind how it's been almost 30 years and none of the six main voice actors is dead yet. phil hartman, the woman who voiced lunchlady doris, and the woman who voiced mrs. krabappel were all guest voices

HA!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vuVjiF8Jk

There are more jokes crammed into this scene than the last twenty years of the show.

I think this works because everything was focused on one single aspect: media gets carried away as gently caress with reporting high profile cases. Many of the jokes all focused on the same idea. Not a single joke required shoving in a product to make it work, it was based on a fact of life we are all at least somewhat familiar with.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
At what point did Mr. Burns go from the insane villainous bad guy to the goofy, detached old grinch? I think maybe that's been covered, but for his character specifically when was it most noticeable?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

54 40 or gently caress posted:

John Kriscfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy. Notorious rear end in a top hat and noted creep

Even on the DVD's of Ren and Stimpy, a long-time fan of the show was a girl that sounded early 20's was invited to talk on the commentaries. John was trying to flirt with her the whole time. Imagine...one of your beloved shows from when you were a kid, and the creator just wants to bang you.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

the voice work in this entire sequence is top notch, john k (as ren) is underrated as a voice actor (though of course billy west did a fantastic job after he went crazy)

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard another voice actor ever match that level of intense rage. Although I think at one point he started getting all manic and laughing a lot, but I guess that was when Billy took over? I do know that was how John K originally sold the show, by apparently acting almost exactly like Ren to whoever he was pitching it to.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Piss de Bundy posted:

stop it! stop it! he's already dead

does anybody else just start laughing when they think of random simpsons lines or episodes?

if i think about homer as he yells "oh no you DON'T, that trampoline is MINE!" as he swipes the car i lose it.

or "that's not america! that's not even mexico!" that was a good episode, when Bono assures the crowd homer will get the help he needs as security beats him

My sister and I always bonded so much over our favorite Simpson's quotes :unsmith:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Johnny Aztec posted:

The critic isn't perfect, and has it's flaws, but it is also loving good and you should watch it

ALL HAIL DUKE

DUKE IS LIFE

It was something like only 2 seasons, but those 2 seasons are actually not that bad if you can get past the animation and dated references. That style of humor is something I've always enjoyed, but had a hard time finding in other places.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

New England, you're going back to old England!

e. The Clinton joke here always gets me, every god drat time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZEio9pet4

Here's some of the good bits. Although honestly there's more to it than just these scenes, it's all worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-NhOHHVvk

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"Sexual powers" is a wonderful phrase :allears:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
A good older gag I thought back to was the one where Patty (Selma?) was doing the self advertisement for dating. She says "You're looking at a free-lunch, boys. Come and get it..." Then the weird nnnnnGHHHAAAAaaann growl and then turning her cigarette into a pretzel with her tongue. Then capping it all off with Willie saying "Back to the loch with you, Nessie..."

As a kid, I vaguely understand it had to do with dating, but seeing that as an adult made everything so much better.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The dude on the far right is like a reskin of the Jingostic gunshop owner with one arm.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
How did Marge's affair end again? I can only remember something about the guy she was seeing was some pretentious actor or artist.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The show is also full of endless establishing shots and exposition. Also the classic character-falling-down shot that uses as few frames as possible then lingers on the character not moving at all.

I had a theory that when Fox bought Family Guy back there was some agreement to animate as cheaply as possible.

In the commentaries for the first couple of seasons of the Family Guy DVD's, they mention a specific "tongue thing" that was a set mouth image that got used out of a series of different static mouth-types. They pointed it out because it was easy to spot, and it was hard to unsee it afterwards.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

webmeister posted:

I just watched the comet episode from season 6 and holy poo poo - that's in serious Best Episode Ever territory.

"Flanders, get out - my family needs to use your bomb shelter"
"Well I figured this might happen, so I made the shelter big enough for both our families!"
"No deal, out"

The little chihuahua that walks up to the remains of the comet was a nice call back to Homer being right about what would happen :allears:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
At least Matt and Trey at some point came out and admitted they no longer "get" what young people are into these days.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

this is the lowest point of the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06OzHwkV3bA

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Watching that moment where he spins and the hair remains still like a static object, you can almost feel the cold precision of the software being used to create the scene.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Always loved the ending bit of the Krusty clown college of Krusty being cornered to pay what he owes. The mafia guy ominously stating Krusty owes $48. Then Krusty just pops out a $50 bill nonchalantly, and then the mafia don cheerfully takes it and gives him his change.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

PostNouveau posted:

Also from the synopsis:

This was Season 14, which had some of the worst episodes the show's ever done.

I just see a lot of off-center homer mouth's for the abs.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Detective No. 27 posted:

The joke is that Tibor gets blamed for all of Homer's incompetence and mistakes.

And then Homer complains about Tibor getting promoted despite being blamed for all of Homer's poo poo.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: that you didn't have The Simpsons Sing The Blues on record or cassette

I had the Christmas edition, and one where Mr. Burns sings about being surrounded by morons. I actually kind of miss hearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Another issue I have with Disenchantment that I haven't seen mentioned is that there are a few episodes that try to be emotional or touching, but the general pacing of the episodes kind of ruins it. It's like when some big event happens that's tragic, the show moves at such a fast clip that none of the weight of what happens never gets enough time to sink in. I find the overall pacing of the show in general to be a little off putting.