Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
celebrity guest spots going from Dustin Hoffman etc to whoever is "cool" at that minute, and then the episode took 6 months to make so by then people had stopped giving a poo poo

They had Michael Jackson and the surviving Beatles on, pretty much the most famous people you could think of and now it's like "hey let's let Ricky Gervais write an episode and star in the episode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

it's not been said enough: the animation is awful now. The Simpsons animation first drastically, and then subtly changes throughout the series (and if someone knows a writeup spergily detailing the changes, I would be on that poo poo like white on rice), and as I've gotten older I've gained an appreciation for how it looks every season except, you know, the Bad Zone. I don't know why in the gently caress they try to make it all hyper polished slick-looking - I hadn't seen that Homer Votes clip until now and oh, it's just atrocious. My stars! I couldn't watch that stuff.

At the start it was traditional hand drawn, hand painted animation. That lasted up until around s10 or 11 when it was still hand drawn but digitally coloured so all of a sudden there was still some janky animation but no oddities with colouring which looked pretty crap.

Then sometime in the last 10 years it went full digital like a loving flash animation. There seems to be less frames in each movement now and all the colour is flat and dull so it looks like poo poo.

The first 2(?) seasons were done by Klasky-Csupo who would constantly ignore notes from the producers and do those stupid faces on characters and "rubber" animation. They also tended to colour things like a 70s Eastern bloc propaganda film. Look at something like Rugrats and see how grimy that poo poo looks, that's how those fuckers roll.

Then a few years ago they started airing "HD" versions of the old episodes but instead of re-scanning film elements which would have looked pretty decent they upscaled, cropped and applied some poo poo filter to the tape copies so now it looks worse than it ever has.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

PallasAthene posted:

Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL

Yeah they could use celebs really well in the earlier seasons. I'm Joe Namath.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

It had good moments because a lot of the old writing team came back to help with it but it seemed like the majority was from newer shittier writers. Was also directed by someone who directed early episodes and he got p good performances out of the actors I thought

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 7, 2017

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Don't even think they showed the Critic here in England at the time, but it was still a great episode.

They definitely didn't here in Australia so we had no loving idea who this Jay Sherman fella was but the episode was still amusing.

The thing about the Armin episode to me is while the plot is bizarre there's still good jokes in it. Nowadays there's no good jokes to redeem anything

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Scudworth posted:

The guy who wrote that episode is responsible for some of the worst poo poo eps that occurred while I was still watching it, including the NYC one, the tomacco one, the garbage man one, and the one where Maude dies. And the Marge getting implants one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Maxtone-Graham#Writing_credits

Other writing credits include the infamous SNL "canteen boy" sketch that's either a joke about gay people or child molestation being funny, depending on how you look at it.

one of my least favourite Simpo writers.

quote:

According to the memoir of Jay Mohr, Ian Maxtone-Graham threatened to quit and sue the show during the 1993-1994 season after an altercation with Norm Macdonald. The lawsuit never came to fruition.

Now I like Norm even more but Jay Mohr is a dickhead so who knows if that's true or not

e:

quote:

In December, Ian Maxtone-Graham, a self-described anti-smoking zealot, complained about Norm MacDonald’s lighting up in the writers’ room. MacDonald shrugged it off. So Maxtone-Graham extinguished the cigarette by squirting MacDonald in the face with a water pistol. MacDonald punched Maxtone-Graham in the head, knocking him to the floor.

Norm Macdonald is the best.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

They did show the Critic on pay tv. I saw it on Austar on the Arena or Comedy channel. This was ages ago when the music channel was called "Red".

That's where I saw it first circa 1999 or so but at the time nobody in our school had foxtel, not even sure it was in WA at the time so it was pretty baffling until I got the scoop from my cousin with the internet

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

I remembered this today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWI_ECKrBc

I'm guessing nobody got angry about it because by that time nobody was watching idk

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Been catching up on this thread over the weekend and it has been far more entertaining than the last new episode I saw

When you watch the newer ones the movie is alright by comparison but then again that's over 10 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Is Coolio part of the main Simpsons cast yet?