Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People always say the golden age is 3-10, but I disagree. 8 is mediocre and 9 and 10 are just BAD. Seasons 1 and 2 are FAR better than 8 - 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

...you can expect to Homer Badman, you only move twice, Lisa the Vegetarian, Marge vs The Monorail and so on...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Imagine thinking the season with You Only Move Twice, The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie show, Hurricane Neddy, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, A Milhouse Divided, and loving HOMER'S ENEMY is a bad season.

My other hot take. You Only Move Twice is good, not great, and wouldn't even make my top 20 episodes. Homers Enemy and El Viage Misterioso are also pretty good, but also not all time classics. The rest listed there are perfectly fine episodes, but nothing special. The rest of season 8 is full of weird plots that feel like they're starting to dig deeper in the barrel for ideas, but not QUITE at the bottom yet.

Season 8 is where the characters start to not feel like the same characters we had grown to love. There's a distinct shift in the tone of the show that's hard to put into words, and it began that year. 2 is definitely better than 8. I may concede that 1 is then at least equal to 8.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

you guys realize that even rugrats didn't look the same throughout its run right? its first season was just as rough and hideous as the simpsons' first season

also, can we PLEASE stop defending seasons 1 and 2? why go to bat for it so often when there are far more deserving seasons you can defend?

Seasons 1 and 2 are better than seasons 8 and 9. :colbert:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, how do i get torn six ways from sunday on here with my comment about seasons 1 and 2, yet THIS guy roams free completely unscathed despite his comments on seasons 8 and 9??!

Because I'm right, and we all know it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The Cleveland Show is no more problematic than any other adult cartoon ever.

I’m genuinely curious what adult cartoons wouldn’t be considered “problematic” using the same metric.

Tuca and Bertie. :colbert:

May also be part of why it was axed.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I like to see my favorite New Orleans restaurant featured in popular media (the one in the thumbnail.)

But not like this. Not like this...

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Lot of people saying post season 10 drop off.

I say seasons 9 and 10 were terrible. 8 is when the cracks began showing.

And don't start on 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are great.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup, this is a good take. Although I’d disagree about S8 having cracks, could you provide examples? Skimming the ep list for S8 and wouldn’t skip a single one.

Just cracks, but still a very solid season. A lot of the plots started to get a bit more out there. It's still good, but the overall tone of the show just started to feel a little bit different. It's hard to put exactly into words. I didn't care for the Spin-Off Showcase, the boxing episode, the military academy or lisa dating nelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I had a friend recently tell me at a gathering lately that the current season of the Simpsons is actually pretty good.

He's wrong right? There's just no way.