Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's never been a bad episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

A dozen years from now, we'll be reading about the golden years of the 20th season

I don't know, it's not like SNL where people just always remember the years when they first started watching the most fondly. The consensus seems almost universal for where the peak was for the Simpsons, the only debate is how soon and how steep the decline was

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but here's a question- whose retirement or death (if any) will end the show? Would they recast Homer and the rest of Dan Castellanetta's character? Would they go on without Hank Azaria? Were they prepared to go on when it looked like Harry Shearer had had enough?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Extremely vague question, but what's the longest a good show has lasted without a precipitous decline? Seems like for comedies it's extremely rare to go five seasons without a noticeable drop. Always Sunny had an impressive run, but it's clearly running out of gas at this point.

I know Cheers ran forever and people liked it, I've never watched so I don't have an opinion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

There's usually a sort of Gauss curve with (worthwhile) entertainment products, where it starts out rough, they eventually hit their stride and enter a golden age (seasons 3-8/9 for the Simpsons), before inevitably running out of ideas and having the scenarios and writing become increasingly uninspired and self-referential.

The Simpsons is just unique in that the 'decline' period is now the vast majority of their run

To be fair, the Simpsons' golden age was extraordinarily long as well, even though it's been eclipsed by what came after.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I don't think Seinfeld ever declined and it ran, what 8-9 years?

I think a decade or so is the sweet spot, maybe a little less. After that you've probably used up all the good ideas you have.

Guess it depends on how you feel about the post Larry David years. But yeah, a decade seems to be the absolute limit that you can sustain excellence, but that's like living to 120; you're talking 99th percentile at that point. Even an all-timer like 30 Rock, which was never bad, was showing some wear by seasons 5-7.

I think Parks and Rec is a pretty good example of a typical show arc: took about 20 episodes (a season and a half) to figure out the characters, had two, maybe three unimpeachable seasons, then started to fall into the normal late sitcom patterns- characters become a bit more cartoonish, gets a little self-referential, bringing back one-joke characters just a few too many times.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I watched this last night, it's a pretty great breakdown of the rise and fall of The Simpsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

This guy sounds like baby Werner Herzog

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There was an episode of the Simpsons in the past few years where Homer gets involved in a fat acceptance group. It's not especially good, but it does have a really nice ending where he and Marge go on a walk for exercise and it goes through a montage of them walking together through the years with Homer going through a variety of different body shapes. It reminded me of my parents :3:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Whatev posted:

Randomly watched a bad episode on youtube yesterday so here is a really embarrassing bit from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kknltynNco

I kind of liked the Irish Krusty bit at the end

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

JfishPirate posted:

13 is definitely the answer. The only halfway decent episode in Season 13 is Weekend at Burnsie's. Every other episode is awful, with some of the lowlights of the series, like the one where Bart and Homer are tied together and the one where they get framed for murder. Season 13 marked the departure of Mike Scully as showrunner, with Al Jean replacing him. Jean is still the showrunner today, so there probably won't be any chance of recovery unless someone replaces him.

I'm not sure what a Simpsons recovery would even look like. The show originally caught fire for how different it was from tv orthodoxy, but now it IS tv orthodoxy. Nearly every sitcom on tv, and certainly every animated sitcom use the Simpsons template as a jumping off point. Trying to "reinvigorate" the Simpsons would be like trying to remake I Love Lucy. It's a product of its time, it really can't be divorced from the cultural context of the 1990s.

The characters have reached the point that they're cultural icons on par with something like Mickey Mouse or the Looney Tunes, and like those characters, you reach a point where it's impossible to inject any kind of life into them anymore. Our vision of them is so solidified that they're not allowed to surprise us anymore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think if the Simpsons post-season 10 existed in a vacuum as its own show, the first ten seasons never existed, nobody would think it was the worst show on television or anything, it would generally just be though of as okay (questions of why it's so popular or why it's lasted so long set aside).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I think that if the first 10 seasons didn't exist, the Simpsons wouldn't have lasted more than 2 seasons.

If season 11 premiered in 1999 you're probably right. If a show comparable in quality to the average of season 11 to present day premiered in 1989, people would probably still have been pretty blown away by it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

I could see them doing that for a season as a one-off, but I don't think it would be much more than a gimmick unless the characters have actually evolved in a meaningful way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

berth ell pup posted:

I wonder what timeframe Hartman was thinking of in 1997 as "the time the show becomes unprofitable."

Do you think he thought it would be around in 2017 with no sign of stopping?

I imagine he at least figured he'd outlive the show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Even GTA V's iFruit, while not funny in the least, technically qualifies as a joke.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bart the Nihilist

Bart develops an unsettling indifference to Springfield's turmoils after becoming unhealthily involved in an online message board community.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reading those fake/not fake episodes

My brain has been trained to look for the Loss edit joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

There's also a 3-D parody of Neil Gaiman's Coraline, titled "Coralisa," which features Neil Gaiman voicing the cat.

Really striking while the iron is hot