Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's so crazy to me that this show was already so heavily syndicated when I was a child. 20 years ago, I was 9 and could watch The Simpsons somewhere between 3-5 times a day if you knew what channels to swap to.

I've conservatively estimated in the past that I've seen seasons 1-10 probably 10 times over because of syndication, and it blows my mind that there are almost TWICE as many episodes of this show I used to love that I haven't seen.

Now it's some lovecraftian madness parade where someone says the absolutely dumbest thing you can imagine and *voila* here is a clip from 2013 where they did it but with fewer jokes than you thought. The Lena Dunham thing was unforgivably bad... but the animation from the Russia thing is like Newgrounds.com levels of laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

The movies were bad. The reboot seasons came back and I was IMMEDIATELY struck by how mean spirited it was compared to the OG seasons, and I personally felt gross about the "Zap & Leela get trapped on a planet and gently caress" plot line because it makes zero sense, is pointlessly cruel to Fry, singlehandedly undoes all of their character development of like 4 years in 10 minutes, and is never brought up again.

I also think Workaholics is pretty funny (though I don't really understand how it got 6-7 seasons other than "It's so loving cheap to produce", and that Broad City is the most overrated show of my generation. Like both of these shows are about millennial potheads sucking at adulthood, but one of them has jokes and good acting (Anders Holm is a riot in every scene to me) and one of them has Hannibal Buress sometimes? I watched like 4 episodes of Broad City and just didn't get why everyone was like "this revolutionary women's comedy will pave a new path for people who want to watch girls smoke weed in dirty underwear". Women are funny, I want to laugh at them and their silly 'Dan Armistice watches us clean in our underwear' plot line... it just never got funny.

I would easily, easily place Futurama S1-4 up there with Simpsons S2-S8 as "practically perfect television". I don't think I made it through the whole reboot, but I'll look up the episodes mentioned here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty is popular because Futurama was the only Sci-Fi comedy on TV for like 10 years and it was originally set for family appeal, which is why the movies and late seasons come off as edgy or cringey, because they started writing toward mature audiences.

Rick & Morty has never been for children and doesn't ever talk down to the viewer, it just talks down to Morty & Jerry. Further, R&M has tons of discussion about morality and emotional availability, like I could bring up more than half the episodes here, but also is zany and madcap and graphic, so it's entertaining to watch and thought provoking, which is rare in modern cartoons.

When's the last time you were watching an animated western show and had to pause it because you were really thinking about what just happened? Rick & Morty does that for a shitload of sadbrainz nerds like me, because it is written by sadbrainz nerds for sadbrainz nerds, and we don't get TV that doesn't treat us the The Big Bang Theory does...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It contains both the "Chocolate So Dark... Light Cannot Escape It's Touch" and the "Poison//Antidote" hose gag, and those are both gutbusters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John K being a creep is sad, but even the tame-ish Nickelodeon seasons paint the picture pretty clearly.

It's not nearly as bad as Doug Tennappel, beloved creator of Earthworm Jim and brilliant comic book author, is actually a racist MRA homophobe. Like Everything about Earthworm Jim suggests that you are funny, smart, and talented, Doug, why you gotta be the worst kind of person?

I'm glad Matt Groening never came out as a scumbag.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah basically Hank Azaria has gotten away with his massive racist stereotype character for years and people like the guy from Harold & Kumar and Aziz Ansari grew up wanting to be actors and were like “what the gently caress and this guy isn’t even Indian!?”.

Imagine if, during seasons 2-9, Carl was always depicted with an afro, eating fried chicken and talking about Soul Train. We’ve basically let Apu go on way too long

Hmm I just realized the Simpsons have no Asian character that I can discern, or they certainly didn’t during the Golden Years

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Riptor posted:

I think Apu was originally just written as "convenience store clerk" and wasn't actually supposed to be Indian but Azaria just did the accent and they all went yeah sure lets go for it i guess

It was 1990, they wouldn’t have named him Apu if not for the jokes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 1 IS funny, but their voices aren’t there yet and the animation is visually very grating. I only rewatch it with friends and skip it for personal rewatches.

My recommendation is 2-10, 9 is the beginning of the end but looking at it 10 still has a few that I’d consider classics.

But regardless, you are guaranteed ‘perfect simpsons’ from at least 2-8

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons was the opposite of all TV families at the time which is why it was so controversial then. It didn't matter that they functioned the way a real family would, they portrayed Bart back talking his parents and Homer not going to church on Sunday, therefore they were the most vile show on TV.

Married w/ Children was definitely worse and more reviled by the religious right. My very earliest memory of Ann Coulter is of her in her 20’s complaining about MwC trying to get in pulled from Fox and my mom just snorting and going “Man, what a bitch”.

The only other TV family that wasn’t all lovey dovey was Roseanne, and surprising no one, MwC, Roseanne and the Simpsons are all S-their 90’z comedy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well Lisa plays in Band and Bart is shown on various sports teams, those are time consuming and can be expensive now and then, but please also remember that in the late 80’s, early 90’s so people could afford big houses.

According to google, a nuclear safety technician makes 60-100K a year, with 60 being the very healthy median. So 30 years ago Homer was probably making between 50-70K? Or probably more like 50K due to inflation? Or maybe more like 80K because he was the only safety inspector for the entire plant?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LoL if you wouldn’t watch “Millhouse in the Middle”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part of this thread was that it got me to click on the Simpsons memes thread which is borderline pyschadelic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dan Castellaneta makes more in a year than some countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cisBEGCFSjQ

I gotta admit to getting mind blown here because ive never seen Dan before today despite having watched S1-10 literally 50 times and Id have never put together Homer, Barney, Krusty, Grandpa, but then also how many characters

CONTAINS THE ORIGIN OF "annoyed grunt!"

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Cleveland show is good fight me.

American Dad is the best one

Every once in a blue moon I’ll watch a new Family Guy and I feel like I know every joke before it lands.

I haven’t watched more than 3 episodes of post S-11 Simpsons in my life.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean do you have to be demonstrably crazier than that to believe in any religion?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ein cooler Typ posted:

psychologists do this too

Yeah but they are legally required not to tell or show anyone unless you present as a danger to yourself or others. Scientologist are under absolutely no such ethical standards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Grandpa is played by Dan, who is also Homer, Barney, Wiggum, Quimby, and Moe.

Also for reference I’m certain that all of the main cast, Dan, Nancy etc are Scientologists and that’s the only reason the show hasn’t messed with them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would actually doubt that, if only because Dan Castelletta basically lives in his fortress mansion and never leaves, Harry Shearer has been in the business for 30 years and is universally beloved and respected, and Hank Azaria is extremely publicly available and is just constantly working, I honestly don’t know when they’d have time to commit a badness.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Harry Shearer actually left in 2017, he voices a ton of extremely regular people, like Mr. Burns and Skinner

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean he was only getting $300,000.00 an episode, a dude’s gotta eat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The plots in the critic were fine, they were just always very silly.

Duke was the best supporting cast member of all time, and I use Duketastic for all sorts of things in my day to day and did something horrible but kinda funny happens I always refer to it as a Duketastrophe.

If you don’t think Jay Sherman playing the trumpet with his belly is funny, you should by a plane ticket to the SUN

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 100% of cases where someone asks me to pick one of two equally bad options, I always say “ugh... God... crab juice please.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
South Park is also a show where a “bad” episode still has enough room to be funnier than 90% of available content, and while there are totally unwatchable episodes, those all come down to personal preference.

I always skip Oprah’s Minge, The Snuke, and Queef Sisters because I, at 30, just have to own that I don’t think vaginas are funny. I think they can be cute, and pretty, and fun, and beautiful, but I’ve never laughed at one... wait that’s a lie once I was about to gently caress my friend and right before she took her underwear off she said “hey one of my labia hangs lower than the other and I call her the Underachiever.” and we giggle about for a few minutes then bone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Simpson’s were pre-meme and as a result became proto-memetic. This means now that new Simpsons memes can’t really hang with classic ones because classic ones have the syndication zeitgeist and the only people who watch new Simpsons aren’t the same people who think memes are dank

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Disco Stu is such an archaic character to bring in. Did they add a Grungie Dan yet or do the 90’snot exist in modern Simpsons?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best Disco Stu joke is always going to be “Your fish are dead.”
“I know... I can’t get them outta there.”

but special mention goes to the flashback episode where we see Disco Stu in 1979 talking about the rise of Disco and how if trends continue...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bitterandtwisted posted:

idk if :thejoke: but that's the same scene

Holy gently caress you’re right, wow, whoever wrote that episode ‘got’ Disco Stu...

Also the second joke I wrote is actually the set up for the first one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack Horseman is my favorite show of all time but it’s 100% sadguy wank material for existentialist nerds who cannot get their poo poo together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but the 3rd dimension just gives them more surface area for racism

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s like nobody gives a poo poo when Indian people like Kumail Nunjani or Aziz Ansari or Aparna Nancherla or Hasan Minhaj repeatedly say “it sucked to grow up where Apu was the only Indian on TV” and think their heartwarming memories of “Oh CALCUTTA” made it all worthwhile

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up in New York with an Italian grandmother and I was maybe 14-15 when I realized WOP, Dego and Guinea weren’t just all purpose swear words and in fact epithets.

But yeah Italians got booted to white just in time to hate the Irish, who were promoted to white shortly after so we could all get together to make fun of brown people from Asia

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching the Simpsons now is like trying to have a conversation with an ex you used to be really into.

You aren’t the TV show I used to love, you just look kinda the same

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Specifically a time when a bunch of white guys could make a super racist character and nobody gave a poo poo

(I blame not Hank Azaria for coming up with the voice, but the producers who OK’d the voice)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Simpsons season 2-10 actually had the exact same goal in the writers room that Family Guy has plaquered on the wall: “As many jokes on every page as possible”

That poo poo was so zippy. Modern simpsons greatest sin is how frequently it drags, like MINUTES AT A TIME without a punchline.

Someone did a side-by-side comparison video of S2 Arrested Development vs S5 AD and showed the volume of jokes and gags had completely eroded in the later seasons, I imagine the same must be true for The Simpsons.

In general I watch all the Brian episodes of Family Guy but the mushrooms one was the first time I was like “you actively hate the people watching this show”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Joss Whedon has done a lot of terrible things to people, but the pervasive idea that every action-sci-fi movie must also be a quippy zinger filled buddy cop movie is probably the second worst.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sight gags are important as well. Early Simpsons has funny poo poo happening in the background constantly and Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman are constantly filling space between scenes with great gags and weird visual callbacks.

Archer is a beautiful show that has only gotten prettier and prettier over its lifetime but one of the reasons I tapped out on it is the last few seasons are basically a radio show, in that unlike R&M/Bojack, I don’t feel like I’m missing important things if I can’t see the screen.

Also I’m just getting into podcasts as a hobby, but the idea that there are multiple podcasts supporting multiple people wherein they focus and dissect on only this show is really bogglesome. It’s one thing to trawl threads for dank memes, but finding hours upon hours to listen to other people talk about a single show that stopped being good 20 years ago seems absurd.

Are there big MASH or Twin Peaks podcasts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone who ever thought that wasn’t the best case scenario was shooting for the moon. What, Matt Groening gonna tweet out “Were sorry to all the Indian fans for 30 years of dog whistling, our bad!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always appreciated the way Carl was black but they almost never talk about it, as though race doesn’t matter to most citizens, but then you have Apu and it’s like, why couldn’t Apu just have been Indian with an accent but NOT an arranged-marriage-curry-chugging stereotype? When it was so easy to not make Carl really into rapping and watermelon and just give him normal lines and jokes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, which means it would be the worst possible representation of Peruvians and their culture imaginable if it was the only one they had ever seen.

To put it another way:

When ignorant people watched the Simpsons in the early 90’s, Apu was basically the first Indian person ever on TV besides... uh Hadji? from Johnny Quest, so “Thank You, Come Again!” became synonymous with Indian people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LoL if you think we can’t tell by looking at you.

The best Apu joke is when Dr. Hibbert explains he only survived getting shot because the bullet ricocheted off of a different bullet lodged in his chest from a previous robbery.

Or the military base episode where Bart misses the last target with a grenade launcher and then we see Apu installing all his brand new gas pumps and then it cuts back to Bart and Skinner talking at the base and a smoldering ‘K’ slams into the background.