Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Saint Drogo posted:

Lmao that homer raped by panda was not some kinda standout terrible lowest point but a forgotten blip that doesn't even make the shortlist of worst episodes

It's not even the most uncomfortable "Homer gets raped" scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Irradiation posted:

The episode where they make fun of Portland was probably worse than I remember but I enjoy anything that shits on Portland.

It was less making GBS threads on Portland and more blowing Portlandia for 20 minutes.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Drawn Together was a bad show with some high points. I mean, it's not Secret Girlfriend bad.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Junk posted:

i'm not going to watch read or listen to any of those things, can you just give us the rundown?

From what I learned in the Community TVIV thread:

Dan Harmon can't shut the gently caress up about his D&D Game. Years before Harmon Quest or whatever he would bring it up in every episode of his podcast. At one point his DM was hanging out with the crew like all the time.

He drinks all the loving time.

He's kind of a self loathing dick in general.

Honestly he's probably one of the goons defending Rick and Morty.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Calaveron posted:

And just because it portrayed families dealing with poverty and low social status instead of the idealized and idyllic life styles presented in other sitcoms (even though the Bundies lived in a huge two story house on a shoe salesman salary and I guess being a nuclear technician pays pretty well)

Iirc Roseanne was a lot more toned down from her original standups at first. They were gonna try the Mike and Molly thing where it was "idyllic sitcom family, but the parents are fat."

Then Rosanne decided that in a scene where she was supposed to back down from Dan that it made more sense for the two to have an actual fight. After that they decided that gently caress it, the Connors should act like a normal lower income family.

They still had the big house but it was clear they bought it off Dans first well paying job and they were constantly in danger of losing it. And you got fun scenes like the one where Roseanne is stalling bill collectors by sending them each others Past Due notices.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Will Farrell wore a flightsuit every time he appeared as Baby Bush after "Mission Accomplished" happened. Same with Robot Chicken. Robin Williams would appear on talk shows with shirts reading "The Decider" and poo poo.

Wheres this idea that Bush criticisms were only whispered in coffee shops coming from?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Snakes on a Plane was a self aware cheesefest that you had to see in theatres. Everyone knew that at the time. The only redeeming factor was yelling Sam Jackson's lines with the audience.

The Simpsons Movie actually wanted you to invest in Marge and Homer's 800th round of marital problems and Bart doing pranks. I remember getting into a pre screening where half the shots were still unfinished Maya frames. Spider Pig was already in and at least 3 of my friends said that it jeeded to stay in the movie at all costs. I think I wrote that I liked Drunk Bart but that was probably just the movie triggering alcoholism in my brain.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Homer Jay O. Simpson

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Homer is perpetually 36. To the point that there's an origin episode where he works a drive-thru in the 80s to pay for Marges prenatal care and an origin episode where they break up so Homer can be in both Boys II Men and Nirvana.

So if you care about such things theres a Simpson's 90s that we watched happen on screen and a Simpson's 90s where Bart and Lisa weren't born yet and Homer was two music icons.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Krusty is based on an old TV clown. A specific clown called Rusty Nails who was/is working in Portland. Krusty is basically a callous, sellout parody of Rusty, who is genuinely a good dude that hosts a show on local TV for cheap.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Looking back at the Simpsons and South Park both of them have a clear moment where the creators told the audience they were done trying and it was just gonna be the established formula forever.

In the Simpson's it was the Tamzarian episode.

South Park had the You're Getting Old two parter.

Now you have predictive texts writing better Simpsons pitches than actual episodes and the last time I watched South Park it was a Black Friday episode that literally ends with a commercial for the Stick of Truth.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I had that season downloaded as an insomnia remedy. The gag is that Homer and Marge are curling in the Olympics and you think "broomwork" is a reference to that.

The only reason I bring it up is that the joke is even in universe nobody watches the Simpsons anymore.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Turns out the lowest point of the Simpsons is when Hari Kondabula correctly predicted that most would loudly critique The Problem With Apu without actually watching it.

He likes the show and is a fan of a lot of the people that made it. Its more about being served an ice cream sundae with a cat turd shoved into one end than anything.

Kal Penn made a whole movie about Indians only being allowed to act as clerks and doctors like 14 years ago. There's a scene where he drops "Thank you, come again!" in an exaggerated accent as a gently caress you. Apu being a racist stereotype isn't a new idea.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Junk posted:

Several years ago some white friends of mine who are a married couple dressed up as Muslims for halloween. Husband had this huge beard which helped complete the look. They got all the clothes on loan from their Muslim friends who were totally down with the idea and only stipulated that they not drink liquor while wearing the clothes. Everywhere downtown that they went, Muslims that they met were enthusiastic and delighted at their costumes and took pictures with them. The only people who gave them a hard time about it were white people.

You forgot to add the part where all the Muslims stood up and clapped after your friend dressed down the woke hipster straw man for being the TRUE racist.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
We are currently approaching the lowest point of the Simpsons.

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/984670962162348032?s=19

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Having the media turn on Moe for his voyeurism the second after his tape saves Homer was a good move in that regard.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Riptor posted:

It was willy. Rowdy Roddy Peeper

Also sweet SWEET can

drat, this is my lowest Simpsons moment

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Basically think if a girl on screen talking to her vagina is a thing you're on board for when thinking about watching Big Mouth:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The last "episode" I watched was The Stick of Truth because someone told me it was a solid turn based RPG.

I skipped Fractured But Whole.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

pooch516 posted:

I could swear they've done that same exact joke in another episode also, right down to looking it up in the dictionary.

Futurama does it in The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. People keep saying something is ironic when it's simply cruel or unexpected to Bender's chagrin. In the final act the Robot Devil pulls the "her hand... in MARRIAGE!" trick and Bender is sitting in the audience with an open dictionary and confirms that using a word in a way outside its obvious intention is in fact, irony.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was bad about the family guy I havent watched in years

Did you stop watching before or after the bit where Quagmire rapes Marge and kills all the Simpsons?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I think you mean Mill McMeilly

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
They do a similar gag in Futurama. The same sketchy guy runs the robot fights, butterfly brawls, etc.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah if you came to the writers room today with a scene where all the actual comedy is happening in the background while Homer thinks about the plot theyd cut it and tell you to think more cost effective. Or that going off model for a physical gag fucks with "the process overseas"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'd honestly count that as it being easier to write good episodes of a fresh show that's still surprising the audience than it is to pump laffs into a 30 year old marketing beast.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I misspoke I didn't mean marketing beast like it was in the 90s. I meant marketing beast as in exists to move Funkos more than it exists to tell stories about Springfield.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
He's a TV clown because Groening was a fan of a TV clown called Rusty Nails.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Pawg From Produce posted:

That post-9/11 bump.

That was probably people who were trying to perform extreme normality after a national tragedy. And watching The Simpson's on Sunday as a family had become a reference point for acting normal.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah but that's kind of the point. That same era had episodes showcasing that Bart was a skilled communicator and had other talents, one of his first flash forwards has him seated as a SCOTUS. He's just bad at the rote memorization and recitation of the 50s rear end classroom. Twigging a visually based puzzle while Lisa overthinks it works with the established characterization of the time.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Teen Angel isn't even the worst post-Sabrina magical sitcom.

The genie show, You Wish, was all about the genie trying to trick the family into using up their 3 wishes so he could leave. It had an episode where an old genie was sundowning and wanted the genie + family to euthanize him by firing his body into the atmosphere so he would burn up and become a shooting star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Calaveron posted:

Oh look, three girl characters who are ridiculously over designed and completely atonal to the general art style of the show who are interacting with Bart. I wonder which three comediennes who don't really need the exposure or care for current Simpsons but still agreed to guest star because come on, the show used to be good maybe this episode will be good they roped in

Somewhere I read that celebrities and wannabe celebrities both like the Simpsons because getting a guest spot is a pretty big status symbol.