Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

vaginite posted:

The low point for me was the episode where Judge Judy ordered Bart and Homer tethered together. I remember the exact gag, they cut the tether and Judge Judy gave them a dirty look from a camera that was in the tether. I watched this episode the night it premiered, and it was the exact point it clicked in my head that the Simpsons wasn't going to be good anymore and that it's recent downturn was going to continue. I remember it in detail because it was traumatic, it was like the moment you realize a family member really is dead and really isn't coming back.

I hate that I remember this in the exact same way, with a sense of sudden realization of loss. Like realizing grandma isn't actually seeing you when she looks at you anymore, but is seeing some poorly remembered daydream and she'll never be ok again. This is just who she is now. Simpsons is dementia.

Everywhere at the End of Simpsons is currently in post awareness stage 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Simpsons is that guy at a party who makes a joke about a conversation that ended 30 minutes ago.

Wait a minute... something said, not good. Don't pick on Homer! Wait, no, that's okay... slow! He called you SLOW!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I honestly can't remember the episode, but in my last full series rewatch i made a literal post-it note that in season 8, the very first self-aware joke about how they were running out of ideas happens. There are solid episodes for seasons afterwards, but you can pinpoint the precise moment its heart rips in half.

actually hell looking at the episodes in season 8 the back-half is ALL the episodes where they started getting weird with it on purpose. spin-off showcase, homer's enemy, you only move twice, itchy scratchy and poochie,

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 9, 2021

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm 100% ready to be "kids these days" with that guy saying "I liked the MCU episode, because it reminded me of the MCU, which I have also seen! I enjoy it when things I see are things I have seen already."

But still, a lot of earlier Simpsons references are probably pretty hard to GET if you're 20? Comedy ages faster than any other media, and even the cultural touchstones early Simpsons was making fun of are just, alien and unknown to someone who grew up in a culture that Simpsons directly influenced and created by making fun of what was at the time the normal.

Media goes so FAST these days, with entire genres of ideas living and dying in a year. When I was a kid and the Simpsons referenced a trend or show or a theme I hadn't seen, media was still SLOW enough it was still in the cultural memory pool for me to understand what it was about. Media's so fast now if something isn't contemporary it's forgotten, which isn't like, a value judgement it's just different. I can get people who only consume temporary, ephemeral media to not really be into anything that isn't directly about the exact moment they live in, I guess?

It did help that when Old Simpsons referenced a Thing I didn't know, they still did it where it provided its own context and was also funny on its own two legs.

I watched the MCU parody Spoiler Boy episode and I'll be honest, while it was really loving stupid and I can't recall a single joke from it, I wasn't... bored? Or annoyed? It was serviceable garbage TV? But it dated itself instantly because while Old Simpsons would make references to things, they had a wide pull of time periods, and the references would always be partial. This was like, an entire episode on the cultural moment of people being anxious about the next Marvel movie.

In five years that's going to mean nothing. They could have abstracted it out to fear about having things you're into being spoiled, but they just went full-on "No, this is specificially about this" which is also fine. You can make media that exists only to speak to a specific moment and then be discarded, I guess.

Simpsons exists now on the Twitter scale of time, where it exists to be enjoyed in the moment of its creation and forgotten about instantly when it's over.

But gently caress to say the part you liked about the episode was that "Haha I know of a character called the Hulk who is big, and in this they have a big character also, but he is instead a whale, because whales are large themselves! Haha!"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Avatar's setting was like babby's first xenofiction and anyone who thought the planet was the ideal world to live in is either super super depressed at our current world and would obsess over any vaguely realized fictional world, and/or has never consumed media not set on earth before. Boring rear end earth but everyone has six legs! Flowers can glow! Wow!

Cameron was really just out there doing a story about magic native americans rallying all the beasts of America to defeat the British right down to the "the native americans can communicate with the trees and the wild animals! a white guy goes native and saves them from the colonizers!"

Also my parents let me watch Simpsons, encouraged me to watch Simpsons, as a tiny child my father and I would talk to one another in Simpsons quotes. But my family also let me watch cartoons like Aeon Flux, and my favorite movie as a child was Rocky Horror Picture Show, so I think this is probably atypical.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 5, 2021

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Critical "Outside the Box" Thinking Critic and self-described sapiosexal: Yes please pander to me, corporation, I love it. Catchphrases!!!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I remember making a note that the first metajokes about the Simpsons coming to an end and them repeating storylines or doing weird stuff started popping up in season 8. It was really clear they didn't expect to go further than season 9 or 10 and when season 13 came along it was with a sense of consigned dread and directionless acceptance.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a freak in that I love season 1. Season 1-9/10 are all perfectly cromulent for different reasons and have different moods and tones. I think the last time I did a "let's watch every Simpsons" i made it to 13 before I bailed.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Homer's voice perfectly level and unmoving like a prop supported above his head. Incredible animation superior to the old days for sure!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

If they had put this out in the 90s kid me would have been amazed that the adult arbiters of cartoons were cool enough to know about something as obscure as Mario Kart. Maybe kids still feel that way :shrug: Pretty rear end segment, though.

I don't think in the modern era Mario Kart is really that obscure. Like, I remember when the X-Men movie had the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" line in it, and it was like, holy poo poo, mass media acknowledged something on our secret clubhouse: the Internet! But video games feel a lot more Normal these days. For it to really have that "oh wow they know about this??" impact, it needed to be Simpsons Skibbidi Toilet.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Look at all this great stuff, Liz! Cool, personalized plates! Matthew, Maxell, Mork? Oh come on, Mork?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm rewatching it all again and honestly there's a point around season 6 where it stops being as genuine and starts becoming self referential and whacky...... maybe the good season never existed..... Xanadu....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I looked this episode up and it is indeed an aged Marge. The episode itself sounds dumber than hell. Bart sees ghosts after being struck by lightning and he helps them move on after fulfilling something the ghosts never got to finish in life while he’s in a coma somehow. Episode is called “Flanders’ Ladder” after Jacob’s Ladder… I guess?? Cuz there’s ghosts???

Anyway, I leave you with this pile of butt farts from the episode:

The "Maggie never died" at the end I'm not gonna lie was absurd enough it made me smile. The Wiggum bit and the Lisa bit especially made me do the opposite of smile.