Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I like Rick and Morty, it is a generally very funny show. When the fan base got infested with insufferable assholes I stopped interacting with the fan base and continued enjoying the funny science man show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
That seems a bit of a stretch to me. MLP attracts weird adult men with deviant sexual desires, I don't then think letting children watch MLP will turn them into sexual deviants. I like South Park (even the newer episodes are decent) but it isn't like I watch the earlier episodes deriding climate change as an environmentalist conspiracy and think "Hmmm, well this show IS funny, so maybe i should take everything it says seriously and let it guide my world views!"

In the case of Rick and Morty, I've met those same kind of insufferable fans in a dozen other fan bases for a dozen different kinds of fandoms and it's always a case of the person already being an insufferable rear end in a top hat and merely using their fandom as a conduit for that. Guys who unironically think they're "a Rick" or whatever would be latching on to some other fictional character that is "the cool guy" in some other fictional narrative if it weren't R&M, in my opinion.

I get that nobody is immune to propaganda, I just don't think 18-20 year old edgelords identifying with totally rad Mary Sue cartoon characters falls under that umbrella.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Oh gently caress, I recently watched a few episodes of Drawn Together for the first time since it was cancelled and holy poo poo that show is even worse than I remembered.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

People don't have to invent complicated takes to justify it, it's fine to not find something funny!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Greg12 posted:

bart makes his sister cry and then recognizes her pain and works to make her feel better
homer is stupid and cruel, but we are mocking him
rick is an edgelord and is the hero and smarter than everyone and good

we teach through stories and always have since we learned to talk

Rick is smart and competent and dominates the galaxy. He is ruining his grandson's life, as of the latest season his daughter no longer respects him and his family no longer trusts him. Throughout the show his presence alone nearly tore his daughter's family apart until she started questioning her own abandonment issues he gave her.

Rick is only a space god to mindless assholes and mouth breathers who care that he can outsmart the government or beat some flavor of the week bad guy. His personal relationships are all a mess and nobody gives a poo poo about him.

edit: SEE I CAN DECONSTRUCT A SHOW TO SAY WHAT I WANT IT TO SO IT CAN MAKE MY POINT TOO! I ALSO HAVE A BACHELOR'S DEGREE!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Eh, I haven't watched since season 2 but the show constantly framed Rick as the coolest, smartest, and correctest with everyone else just being too naive or stupid to deal. The occasional "actually no Rick is a man of contrasts" moment felt like an afterthought to cover their asses.

Rick frames himself as such. It pisses off everybody around him including his family giving him a place to live. He's always right about stuff to do with science and tech and the way alien civilizations only he has visited work. When it comes to basic human interaction and giving a poo poo about others he fails across the board and people resent him for it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Has any show gotten more than 10 seasons and not gotten worse?

Archer is still pretty popular, despite a lot of fans not liking the three coma dream seasons. South Park still has a pretty big fan base over 25 seasons in and the quarantine specials were pretty funny.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah since Dennis got his own show and largely dipped out in S13 it's seemed like they're winding down. Still funny tho, just not as consistent

Does Howerton still have his own show or did it fizzle out like The Mick did for Kaitlin Olson?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Boy, sure do love these "EPIC CROSSOVERS" we get to have now that Disney owns 90% of all successful IPs

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Cannot wait for the Simpsons to parody Alien, with Ripley played by Bumblebee Guy or something who gives a poo poo, subscribe to Disney+

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Nevermind

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Sourdough Sam posted:

So I've never really watched the Simpsons until it was all on D+. I had the privilege of the classic episodes being mostly new to me. Since the pandemic started I've become quite familiar to Seasons 3-10 and knew to not go past there. Having never seen what this show became I decided to see how long I would last on an episode from the current season.

Dear god.

There are no jokes. Just plot points and Homer screaming all his lines. I know this thread is well aware of the show's decline but I'm just glad I didn't see it happen gradually in real time.

As someone who grew up with the classic episodes, but was still in his early teens when the show declined, it's actually insane to me that some people try to write off the "don't watch past season 10" sentiment as simple nostalgia.

The drop in show quality by season 12ish is just so stark I don't know how anybody doesn't see it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup, this is a good take. Although I’d disagree about S8 having cracks, could you provide examples? Skimming the ep list for S8 and wouldn’t skip a single one.

Yeah I'd actually say the cracks started forming in 9, especially kicking off with Principal and the Pauper (some good bits, completely disregards established characterizations for sake of telling a nonsense story for lulz). I'd see the show didn't get truly bad until 10-11 though could be mistaken, it's been a while since I've watched that far.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Have you heard a lot of people saying that's where the show started to dive? Not saying you're right or wrong, just curious since you have a fresh opinion and that was a major hot button episode for a long time

I've seen it said in some Simpsons meme groups I'm in, I know it's not an uncommon opinion that that episode sort of represents the beginning of the end for a lot of fans.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
The Nelson dates Lisa episode isn't great but I do always get a laugh at Skinner's faint "Nooooooo!" When he goes to check his birdbath while Nelson watches from afar.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Reboot should be left alone anyway, without Tony Jay to play Megabyte there's absolutely no point.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Junk posted:

oh yeah, i always wondered

is this a reference to anything in particular? i watched the episode with the commentary but all they do is chuckle at this part

Actually I'd like to know this too. It's one of the scenes that never ever fails to get a laugh out of me but I have no idea where the concept for this guy and his hilarious vehicle came from.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
His "Gear!" Reaction when he first sees Marge's painting is also excellent

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
2000 was the year Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 came out, perhaps the last game where you could destroy the WTC in one mission before that sort of thing would become wildly inappropriate for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American Dad is probably helped by that its premise was pretty out there in the first place, what with the alien, talking goldfish and CIA shenanigans, and they pretty quickly realised that and the characters all being their own various kinds of unhinged was basically an excuse to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Nothing helped American Dad more than deciding to ditch their running commentary on Dubya Bush era republicanism early on in the series and just getting weird with it.