Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just saw the Kamp Krusty sequel last night (having an Every Simpsons Ever randomizer in the FXX app is a hell of a monkey's paw).

The thing that floored me most about it was that they seriously did this joke:

"You don't name a company Microsoft when you're gettin' some!"

I mean ... whoa, fuckin rip roaring wordplay comedy straight outta 1992, god drat

Also my favorite Simpsons "moment" ever, as it has been since I first saw it as a kid, is Homer's bleating scream when he pulls the wad of Otto's hair out of the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

FYI "SMRT" was Dan Castellaneta loving up the line, and they thought it was funny and kept it in.

How does that even work? Him screwing up the spelling is like the whole joke of that scene. If he didn't gently caress it up what would the line even have been?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By the way, catching up on the thread and I have to LOL at the general opinion a while ago that Homer Badman is "more relevant now than ever".

I mean it's an amazing episode and all, one of the show's best ever to be sure, just for sheer density of top-tier jokes... but I mean yeah, what we need right now is for someone to make a strong statement that sexual harassment is a made-up thing that hysterical women peddle through a complicit muckraking media to drag innocent men's names through the mud

When the episode came out "sexual harassment" was like a brand-new term in the public consciousness, it was a response to the whole Anita Hill thing where we all learned that apparently politicians pronounce it "harris-ment" ... and apparently the Simpsons decided that the way to tackle such a touchy subject was to portray Homer as the victim of fake rape accusations

The show had some pretty buggy takes even in its best moments

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the accuser comes off pretty okay; it's everybody else in the whole media circus (including all the other women standing with her in solidarity) who don't.

The turn of brilliance in the episode for me though is how they took the Rock-Bottom-edited "grab that sweet can—swee-swee-sweeeeet can" soundbite and evolved it instantly into a catchphrase of fictional Homer: "Time to grab me some sweet. :smuggo:"

Instant memeification in remix culture, predicted 20 years in advance by the Simpsons. *cranks up the Crazy Old Man Singers*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what has to be in the top three worst things about modern Simpsons? Whenever Homer breaks randomly into song.

It’s always these drawn-out, overly “clever” riffs on existing songs played like homer is just ad-libbing new lyrics off the top of his head, like two and three verses of super punny meaningless crap out of nowhere.

I mean an occasional snatch of misheard lyrics in the old days was funny and in character, but this is just like ... wtf

E: oh god and they’re straight up doing amnesia episodes now, kill me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s unpossible!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Homer and Marge's marriage is on the rocks" is a story concept that should be a huge deal that comes up like once in the entire run of a show like this, but it happened like three episodes into S1 and they basically had no choice but to do it again about every fifth episode from then on until eternity

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And another thing, Lisa hardly ever plays with her peach tree anymore

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 › What was the point of the Simpsons

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doing more harm than good imo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How is it even plausible to be that unfunny

And with this kind of material to work with

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

not true, have you seen what SNL is up to these days? freaking comedic gold

Yeah, but hasn't their season been over since before Spicer left?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait, no, I know

I know the moment when the Simpsons turned its back on me, the moment when the Simpsons broke my heart

It was in Season 11, when I found out that they had stolen "Jebus" from Family Guy, rather than the other way around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AJebus

Like .... why

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It at least dates back to Homer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How many times have the Simpsons got a computer / email / The Internet Eh? for the first time now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maya Fey posted:

bush was in a bunch of south park episodes too though

Most of those that I recall were basically making fun of “The President” though, not Bush specifically. They barely even drew him as a recognizable caricature.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why in the christ is there an episode where comic book guy gets a Japanese girlfriend and it’s somehow more racist than anti-neckbeard

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just wish they’d had the decency to let a few one-off gags remain one-off gags, instead of bringing them back over and over as canonical elements, as though that makes them funnier instead of totally ruining them retroactively.

Like Mr. Sparkle, or hell, Sideshow Mel

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

High points: the "Raven" segment in the first Treehouse of Horror was pretty fuckin amazing all around

Great acting, great animation, great jokes, James Earl Jones

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked the part where Homsar showed up in Homer’s ecstasy hallucination

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I've been seeing in my random sailor's walk through the entire corpus is that they've tried literally everything. On-the-nose callbacks to old gags, brand-new throwaway gags; retreads of old stories, brand-new stories that push the envelope; stories where Homer and Marge's relationship is on the rocks for the last time or for the "first" time; rebooting their meeting to be in the 90s versus playing it like it was still in the 70s. I just saw one where Homer joined a dad rock cover band where they made all kinds of references to a "famous" but fictional 80s band called Sungazer, made up of "famous" but fictional aging rockers. The episode's "we get criticized for having too many stunt-cast guest stars" was just oozing from every pore, as was their "We're not even going to acknowledge the Be Sharps or any other occasion where Homer has been able to sing"; the writers were just screaming for the episode to be taken as an earnest and down-to-earth rethink of a familiar story framework, more rooted in Homer's day-to-day reality than even the Be Sharps one was (which was at the time basically The Principal and the Pauper, a clearly non-canonical romp on Beatles tropes that you were supposed to forget ever happened afterwards). It had all the ingredients in place, i.e. the writers trying their damnedest to get it right and to address all possible audience concerns, including implicitly demonstrating that some of the "golden age" episodes everyone loves are flawed in the same way that fans claim modern ones are. And somehow... it sucked anyway. (Clumsy "Yoko" jokes way dumber than the ones in the Be Sharps didn't help.)

I think it's just not possible for it to be good anymore no matter what they do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

what the gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always took that scene to be partly a riff on Shatner and his "get a life" comment

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

To be fair, kids these days probably don't know what an antenna is

Homer selling his soul to get cable must be incomprehensible to a modern audience

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The inhuman monster character designs from the earlier seasons were more recognizable celebrity caricatures than these bland paint by number ones

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marge will finally buy a new computer

And will express befuddlement at all the email companies with names like Moogle and Mahoo and Maltavista

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Peace de Bundy posted:

like lisa was supposed to be 14, yet homer was acting like he was in his 60's

hes 36 when she was 8

lol the writers dont even know/care and its all made by some machine

What a bunch of clowns

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just realized that Futurama is 18 years old

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All I remember was "something about a giant bubble dome"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spider pig was used in trailers and promos for weeks beforehand

It wasn’t funny then, and it wasn’t funny when we saw it in the movie, and it wasn’t funny any of the times they tried to call back to it in the show later

To this day I have no idea what the hell they thought they had going with that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

The Stone Cutters was funny :argh:

Nanananananananana leader

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean occasionally they show a glimmer of remembering that she's supposed to be an 8-year-old girl who worries about how she gets along with her father, and those are some good dynamics usually

But most of the time they're like "take this rejected Family Guy script and have Lisa do Meg's lines"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milo and POTUS posted:

the problem is kids, even precocious kids, do not even remotely sound like hollywood mouthpieces

Then again "fourth grader who talks and acts like an adult" is a tried-and-true centerpiece of much of the best/most successful comedy, from Calvin & Hobbes to Home Movies to South Park to Bart Simpson

e: Also I tend to forget how much good off-the-cuff wordplay Bart gets, like "snooze cruise" and "set your faces to stunned"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Razorwired posted:

Snakes on a Plane was a self aware cheesefest that you had to see in theatres. Everyone knew that at the time. The only redeeming factor was yelling Sam Jackson's lines with the audience.

“I’m sick of these motherfuckin snakes on this motherfuckin plane” too was spoiled so far in advance of the movie coming out that the fact that it was the only good-ish line I remember being in the movie killed the burgeoning “self-aware tongue-in-cheek cheesefest” genre dead in its tracks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sotar posted:

:clint: Yes I will.

I hate that every transcription of Homer's response to this is "Won't!"

That makes no sense as a joke to cut to commercial on

It's clearly "D'oh"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

d'oh :doh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

a) The scene just ... ends after that, like "won't" is supposed to be a punchline, but if the joke were simply some meta thing about how he's able somehow to hear the soliloquy from miles away you'd think it would go on a little further and have some kind of payoff for such a strange setup, like the guy would whisper one further line and then Homer would go "What?" or something

b) It doesn't sound grammatically like something Homer would say (he might as well pop in a monocle and say "shan't! :iamafag:"

c) "d'oh" would have been a lot funnier, as explained above; that way it starts as a meta joke about the long-distance hearing but then it has a "Homer is dumb" stinger to tie it off

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 24, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's an expression of despair and resignation against his distant unseen antagonist

It's funny that he would give up under those circumstances

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I found the answer to your question OP

I'm sorry :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't think anyone's asking modern Simpsons to be or do anything in particular; the right thing would have been for it to end after the movie, go out on a relatively high note. But that ship has sailed. There's really no way the show ends now that isn't ignominious (VAs dying, contract disputes, even stupider retooling). All we can do at this point is commentate from a position of disdainful detachment :munch: