Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Houle posted:

Crazy Cat Lady.

God drat that was an amazing joke/gag/scene.

once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yep, that's a freaky beatnik all right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been rewatching a lot lately, and damned if I'm not enjoying S2 more than the next few classic seasons. The writing and production got slicker afterwards, but it's still very funny in a more grounded way. I enjoy its family-centric setup and I actually like all the characters more than the caricatures they started becoming.
So basically, the low point = seasons 3-29 :fry:

What I always have to remind myself is that when the Simpsons debuted it was a cartoon. A prime-time cartoon for grown-ups, but a cartoon.

Seasons 1 and 2 were as much about the silly wacky animation as they were about the jokes and character development. It was really only after S3 and the Film Roman switch that they started leaning a lot heavier on the cerebral verbal humor and we entered the period when most of the memes and memorable gags come from. Before that you got tons of laughs purely from oddball Groening character designs and off-the-wall animation antics, Warner Bros./MGM style. The rest was family-based, everyday well-grounded sitcom humor where the kids were ten-year-olds and the parents were blue-collar schmoes, not astronauts or barbershop Beatles or folk singers playing for a power plant walkout.

One of the biggest laughs I ever got from the Simpsons when it was airing new was that goofy-rear end run cycle on the bear cub in the Happy Little Elves video :newlol:

E: ^^ Check out Mr. Burns' voice, Harry's hardly even trying to sound like him anymore

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao at "Grade School Confidential", where the very idea of someone admitting to being a virgin at 43 years old was so unthinkable that it forms the basis for total exoneration.

Now we have incels and volcels

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Homer Jay For Forty Simpson

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Smirr posted:

That episode is also instructive because the badger poo poo takes up 3 or 4 minutes and only serves to "set up" the actual plot, which is some unfunny garbage about area codes (guest starring The Who as themselves). Homer could have used a phone for any old reason, and the badger is literally dismissed, in a way that says "we just wasted 4 minutes of airtime and you're going to like it", and I don't know why I know any of this since this episode came a season after the Florida alligator one, which is where I thought I stopped watching

Even toward the end of the "golden age" as a teenager I was noticing how the whole first act was often a completely throwaway setup story that had no bearing on the actual plot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even when the show was brand-new in the early 90s it had this weird retro feel like it was really taking place somewhere between the 50s and 70s.

Phone numbers that start with "KL5".

Volume dials on TVs.

The most popular sports include boxing and dog racing.

Cable TV is so expensive a middle-class blue-collar family can't hope to afford it.

The local power plant (surrounded by anti-nuclear sentiment that was absolutely an anachronism in its own right) is not a public utility but rather is run by a self-made tycoon who sits in a mahogany-trimmed office on the premises.

And of course in a town full of weirdos, every single last one of them goes to church every single week.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

I think with the ever exponentially increasing speed at which technology develops they forget what TV was like at the time.

In about 1990 (possibly 1991), my parents bought a brand new TV, it was olive drab (yes the finish was flat). It had a VHF dial, a UHF dial, a volume dial, and a selector knob to switch between VHF and UHF. Granted they bought this TV so my brother and I could play Nintendo in another room, but these things still existed into the early 90's.

Also, cable was considered expensive until the mid 90's and it wasn't until the early 2000's that it was considered the standard. My family got cable in the summer of 1994 because my mom "got a good deal*" on installation. I get the feeling that up until that point cable wasn't really that great anyway, and you'd just get a bunch of crap channels, with TNT, TBS, USA, Nickelodeon, and MTV. I remember FX was just a cable channel that would show reruns of Married with Children and In Living Color.

*knowing my mom, it wasn't a good deal

Oh, well do I remember these things. I was 13 when the Simpsons started, and we saw the first episodes on a 26-inch TV with dials and a screen that was medium greenish-gray when it was off.

It was old trash then though, and we were in the process right then of getting a whole new set of AV equipment, which was all slick black plastic and not a knob to be seen.

Aesthetically they were very much not trying to be cutting-edge. They were doing a show about behind-the-times schlubs. Hell, I think the TV even had a coat-hanger antenna on it now that I think about it.

The backwardness was absolutely on purpose, is what I'm saying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

*time travelling old man appears*

would you like to see the alternative future where the Simpsons was cancelled in season 1?

*Everyone grows up quoting Family Dog or Fish Police or something*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you stopped watching before Spring '04, you've missed 0% of all Simpsons references.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nb. steamed hams is from a decidedly "non-canon" or at least "unorthodox" type episode, one that does not follow the typical formula of Simpsons stories even during the era in which it appeared and which was designed to be as much of a goofy stunt episode as any of the Treehouses of Horror

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what I think my favorite Homer Simpson line ever might be?

"All right, I have thought this through. I will send Bart the money to fly home. Then I will murder him."

Like, for just one brief moment there, he is a competent adult human being, capable of planning and problem solving.

And then the deadpan twist—is like he's actually being intentionally funny for once.

It's all so out-of-character it almost feels like it's from a parallel universe, but it also feels like this is what the Simpsons might be like when the cameras are off.

I don't know, I've always loved that moment

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have laryngitis. It hurts to talk. So I'll say one thing. You never do anything right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lot of people seem to reach their 30s and suddenly go "Hey, my parents never let me watch the Simpsons, time to find out what I've been missing"

And now we're in the era when South Park is passé and establishment

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sort of, but under that you've got stuff like Marge teaching Lisa to repress her emotions, Homer teaching Bart to fight dirty and never try at life, and Homer attempting suicide in like the second or third episode.

That’s as may be, but what they rallied around was Bart going “underachiever, and proud of it, man”, like that was a thing the show was promoting.

It was a hilariously shallow reading they went for is what I’m saying.

E: also he said hell and drat

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I grew up in California with pretty laid-back parents. When I was 14, we had a family vacation to the East Coast where for whatever reason they sent me and my younger brother ahead to stay with our super-religious aunt and uncle and their huge family in Ohio for a few days before we all caravanned out to the East in their RV to meet up with my folks.

We were in the well-established family habit by that point of watching the Simpsons, so when it came on that week as usual we suggested watching it, and of course the relatives would have none of such blasphemy in their house. I decided to plead its merits and explain how the controversial stuff was overblown and it really wasn't bad at all and especially wasn't objectionable on religious grounds. Finally they relented and we all sat down to watch it together:

"Homer the Heretic" :hmbol:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quote-Unquote posted:

that episode literally states that god is real and prayer works but also there other religions and they are good people but their gods are lies

surely fundie morons would love that poo poo?

Yeah but try watching it live when you don't know how it's going to turn out.

"OMG this show is depicting Homer rejecting the church and having a great time, turnitoffturnitoffturnitoff"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quote-Unquote posted:

okay fair enough

I really like that episode. There's the "god is real" stuff when the fire spreads to Flanders' house but overall the message is "who gives a poo poo what you do/don't believe in just help out your community and trust in your friends and neighbours"

And now I type that out I realise why fundies would find it so offensive. it's literally the message of Jesus, which must be rejected by all good Christians at all costs.

Yeah. I don't know if we even successfully finished the episode that night. They were giving us the side-eye for days after.

My extended family was full of people who were bad at watching the Simpsons in general. I finally convinced my puttin-on-airs New Yorker grandma that it wasn't just a goofball kids' cartoon and sat her down to watch "Last Exit to Springfield" when it aired live. She only paid vague attention to it, and finally at "And that's the tooth" she broke into patronizing applause and said "good show, good show" which drowned out the "Oops, I left the gas on" stinger which changes it from "ridiculously dumb hackneyed pun laugh-to-credits ending" to "clever winking subversion twist ending", and of course she was already standing up to leave and missed the whole thing :cripes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mendigo posted:

Here it was first broadcast at almost midnight and it was very heavily advertised as "a cartoon... for adults!!!" so of course a lot of parents were a bit concerned. I remember my sister and I watched a couple of episodes without them knowing, but we were allowed to watch with our parents soon enough.

It is pretty funny how everyone's perception of the show changed, actually: The Simpsons here went from "only on Thursdays at like almost midnight" to "everyday at lunch, usually two episodes in a row" in just a few years. I think by the time the second season hit everyone watched so I don't remember much controversy other than the initial "for adults!!" one.

Where is "here"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As recently as like ten years ago "Indian" was not really thought of as a thing you could be racist about. I'm not sure why. Apu was all in good fun, fake Indian accents were a way to get an easy laugh at a party, and Drawn Together did an entire episode making fun of Indian culture and Bollywood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-3CJz4pmk

The entire joke was "haha, Indians don't mind being made fun of, imagine if we made an episode like this about black people or something, hooooly poo poo"

I bet they feel pretty gosh-darn silly now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Rob posted:

The thing that's always confused me about everyone saying how offensive Apu is is that he's probably one of the most well rounded characters on the entire show. I can tell you his religion, he has a college degree, the type of car he drives, he's a successful business owner who is friends with Paul and Linda McCartney. In fact the joke of the simpsons seems to be that while apu is highly educated he can't get a job other than clerk while known moron homer can get a job at a power plant with barely a high school education. I think the complaint is valid about a white guy doing the voice, but beyond that he's a character who has more depth than most of the other stereotypes on the simpsons.

Whenever you have a white guy doing an ethnic accent, it's necessarily an act of caricature, and so there's invariably some measure of mockery in it

e: I mean yeah, there's nothing "offensive" about any of the rest of his character (at least until they start getting into the giant-family stuff), but without the comic accent his struggles as a small business owner and even the skepticism he faces as an immigrant are just good story development and not part of the clown makeup

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 11, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hooray! Everyone will react the same *puts on blackface, heads out on the town*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Is Mel Blanc a racist for doing this voice

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZfCar-Ks8

Lol at the comments, "People need to stop being offended", "This is a cartoon, supposed to amuse you, not a political statement, get over yourselves!' etc, to a man

Duder this was absolutely a gigantic and absolutely well-earned slag on the revanchist south, how are you capable of not seeing it that way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s a rough 10

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MctUo-tP52Q

I feel it's pretty established that Homer's a dad rock fan

That’s because music achieved perfection in 1974, it’s a scientific fact

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

The early 90's were weird as hell

Klasky never produced anything so good before or since though.

That choreography is legit too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now you're thinking either of that Shia LeBoeuf stage play or the Futurama episode with the multiple universes and the boxes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They already apologized for that like the very next episode by having Bart write "I WILL NOT DEFAME NEW ORLEANS" on the chalkboard

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Twenty-five years ago they had an episode where Ned became the principal.

And the moral was "prayer in public schools is probably ok" lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that the place with all the donuts in the world, or the one with the free cable TV hookup?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Tire rotation is a scam. Anyone who owns a car should know how to change a tire, and if you can change a tire you can rotate them in under an hour.

I rotate my tires thousands of times every day, I don't know what the big deal is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FilthyImp posted:

That was such a bitch move because he felt The Critic team was trying to use the Simpsons to garner more audience members and, like, just do your former crewmates a solid Matt.

Family Guy talk reminded me of the moment i turned off the Simpsons. It was the Halloween Episode with the Homerclones and in the sea of degenerate Homers, they included a Peter Griffin. I thought it was such a petty move that I just stopped watching altogether.

At the time I thought that was a well deserved dig because I had a heck of a grudge against Family Guy for supposedly usurping the Simpsons' premise.

Little did I know how things would have turned out. (Though I probably should have.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watch this Lis. You can actually pinpoint the second when the animation rips in half.

Sagebrush posted:

Sigh. Animation these days is so detailed and so dead-looking.

e: never a bad time to post this

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah remember when they had Julian Assange

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mayde Flanders' death, op

Lowest point, not beginning of the end / point of no return

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Better, what with all the computers and all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calaveron posted:

A Phil Hartman Zapp Brannigan, it would’ve been incredible

I mean I'm not gonna say the Billy West one is bad in any way, but...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just caught this tonight and for fucks sake I laughed until I hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICU1pQ8fkM

It was once so good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's weak only if you are a philistine who doesn't appreciate movie parodies from before Seth McFarlane salted the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So many of the early SP episodes were unbelievably funny at the time just because of how transgressive the comedy was. An episode dunking on environmentalists and saying we have to stop the rain forest before it destroys us all! Lol!!

Then the real world kind of .. interfered

All the stuff SP trashed ironically because nobody could "seriously" trash it, the world's shitheads found a way to do it for real.