Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Anyone say That '90s Show, yet? 'Cause that's when I felt loving insulted having watched the show for so many years.

Retconning how Homer and Marge met, retconning everything else by moving the established past ('70s and '80s) up into the '90s, a shitload of unfunny anachronistic "HEY, IT'S THE '90S REMEMBER THIS?!?!" entire decade references, and Homer's stupid grunge band with even stupider song parodies. gently caress that episode.

It was so bad, the following flashback episode had Marge and Homer back in high school in the '70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, that Sideshow Bob episode where he had a family in Italy I think and his kid kept saying VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA

Holy Mary mother of gently caress was that beyond annoying.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Code Jockey posted:

HE STEPPED ON A RAKE AND GRUNTED AGAIN LMAO

Feh, you just don't enjoy the works of Gilbert and Sullivan.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

When I think of a pointless celebrity cameo episode, I think of that one where Homer literally drops through a celebrity couple's skylight and spends the rest of the episode giving them relationship advice. I tried to refresh my memory on the details, but then I instead found an episode about Mandy Moore stripteasing at a baseball game and then later pole-dancing in front of Bart and moaning while Homer gives her a massage. Homer then crashes a blimp, but is fine.

I think the very first pointless celebrity cameo that made me think the show was starting to turn to poo poo was having Paul and Linda McCartney just chilling on the roof of the Kwik-E-Mart for whatever reason in Lisa the Vegetarian. Like, okay, Paul said that he and Apu were old friends from India, but what business did they have being on the roof of the Kwik-E-Mart at *~that exact moment~* Lisa needed enlightenment about vegetarianism other than being a pointless celebrity cameo?

It was a dumb cameo in an episode I'm not quite fond of.

The episode where Lisa becomes a Buddhist follows a similar structure (both in tone of the episode and a pointless celebrity cameo): Lisa becomes disillusioned with something, finds a new thing, is mocked and ridiculed for said new thing, and RICHARD GERE OUT OF loving NOWHERE at a Buddhist temple to enlighten her about balance between her beliefs and others . Just ugh.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 18, 2017

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aging Millenial posted:

1. Skinner's Vietnam War story. This is the sort of joke they used to do all the time except this time it's VERBAL instead of it being a visual gag:

I love Principal Skinner (you know, before the whole Armin Tamzarian thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d2jtlypuBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LZlD76DD3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWnp0zs2iU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ3keVaQZog

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't get it. Is Bort a common name in America?

Eat up Martha.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Junk posted:

Murphy, you are a elf... uncontrollably, I think.

Think unsexy thoughts, think unsexy thoughts!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Terrific Accident posted:

Comedy Central is a distressing paradox, because every single show on it is in a constant state of being the least funny show on the network and on the planet. How can multiple shows be the least funny? I don't know, but they are.

Comedy Central also made Futurama terrible. Like really, really bad. Only the straight-to-DVD movies were much worse, and CC loves to play those split up as single episodes a metric poo poo-ton.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Heard Zero by Smashing Pumpkins today and thought of this thread.

Homerpalooza aired almost twenty one years ago.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Lisa The Vegetarian is a oval office who ruined the barbecue

and it was one of the first random celebrity just being a celebrity guest stars. why the heck is Paul McCartney at the Kwik-E-Mart

people just give it a pass because it's ~~The Beatles~~

I said the same thing earlier in the thread. Paul and Linda McCartney were just chilling on the rooftop of the Kwik-E-Mart... why? Because Lisa needed her lovely newfound opinion to be validated by a vegetarian celebrity. It may have been the very first "WOW, IT'S [CELEBRITY CALLED OUT BY FULL NAME]! MAYBE THEY CAN HELP!" moment that started it all.

At least with the other two Beatles, their appearances had an actual purpose, and who doesn't love seeing George Harrison with a brownie?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Quote-Unquote posted:

"I'm sergeant pepper's lonely hearts club man, I hope I will enjoy my show"

I'll admit, this is great. The rest of the episode isn't.

Guess I'm hosed.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Same thing with the "EEEHYEEEEEEESSSSSS?" guy based on Frank Nelson. I don't even know why they even considered creating or parodying a Frank Nelson-ish character since he added nothing to any episodes he was in.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

berth ell pup posted:

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I honestly can't even imagine what that demographic would consist of. Left on in rooms of coma patients maybe?

Can you imagine if one of them woke up today after having been in a coma since 1994?

"Oh boy! I can't wait to catch up on my favorite show, The Simpsons!"

*watches recent episodes*

*lapses back into a coma*

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

brugroffil posted:

I think the problem is more that the writing just sucks.

Even in the peak golden era, the Simpsons would do references or even whole plots that were callbacks to movies from 5-10 years ago. Marge on the Lam was a Selma and Louise parody several years after the movie came out, but it was still good. The one about Marge being afraid of flying was a lot of Prince of Tides four years after that came out. Homer Loves Ned has tons of references to T2, which had been out for years by that point.

But they were still good episodes with lots of jokes because the writing wasn't lazy "hey remember this movie/show/thing??" references.

My favorite one of these "out of nowhere" references chock full of jokes is the entire town's chase for Molloy's treasure in Homer the Vigilante. Just one big reference to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, one of my favorite movies, which at the time was a 31 year old reference.

I mean, the same episode also has references to Dragnet and Dr. Strangelove, but doesn't hit you over the head like moderns Simpsons would with "HEY, HERE'S A BADLY TIMED REFERENCE AAAAAND :thejoke: *BODILY HARM*" like a godawful Friedberg/Seltzer movie.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 9, 2018

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

snack eater posted:

A bunch of shows did trans fats episodes too

And the best one of those is American Dad's episode.

"Mama, if you can hear me, it's Daniel. I WANT THAT SANDWICH!"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sagebrush posted:

i saw this guest animated couch gag for the first time today and it's pretty badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

This would be an okay couch gag if it didn’t have that dumbass VHS tracking problem filter over it. Yeah, I got it, ‘80s and whatnot, but it adds nothing to the actual content or ‘80s visuals. The visuals carry themselves nicely without a HEY GUYS REMEMBER VHS PROBLEMS AMIRITE wink and a nudge to no one in particular.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still love the recurring character detail in seasons 2-4 where every time someone warns Bart that this behavior will have negative consequences for his adult life, he imagines himself as some sort of alcoholic hobo drifter dying on the side of the road and says, "Cooooooooool," in all sincerity.

*writes in clipboard*

“Pleasing taste, some monsterism.”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

the episode where i decided there was nothing left in the show for me was the one with that annoying little sideshow bob screaming "vendetta!" over and over again, so i missed this one, but wow. WOW. that was completely awful :smith:

Yep, same. Sideshow Bob episodes were always good, but that was the moment when I realized "Why am I still watching this poo poo?" after about the 200th "VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA!"

Then I remember watching an episode where Bob genetically modified himself to have gills and grasshopper legs and other stupid poo poo. gently caress this dead dumb show.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I never could get into BB since the voices are all obnoxious as hell to me.

Same. Plus, no one has chins. Everyone looks like encephalitic Stick Stickleys with human bodies.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mantis42 posted:

The most successful imo were the EZ Rider one and Hertzfeldt's.

If by EZ Rider you mean the Miami Vice couch parody with “Push It to the Limit,” even that one is ruined with the dumbass decision to add VHS artifacts because ~*The 1980s*~. It’s ruined by that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Der Shovel posted:

Plus, they've started getting weird with the Roger personas. Like in some episode one of his personas will have a human twin brother, and their mother will also be Roger in a different costume. And of course, because American Dad is meta as hell, everyone else realizes how weird this is as well.

It's just such a well written, self-aware and amazingly fresh show that constantly keeps surprising me, and making me laugh harder than any other show.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Principal Lewis is another brilliant character. I think in the early seasons he's just a standard authority figure. But at one point they decided to make him a sleazy character and he became comedy gold.

Principal Lewis had this mysterious untold backstory used sparingly in the early seasons that made him great.

quote:

Pure Peruvian marching powder, grown on the Andes, north slope. I'd say it's about 80% baby laxative. Yep, this junk means only one thing. Esteban Mortia is back in business.

Tell Esteban "El Lobo Negron" sends his regards.

I am the only Goon apparently that never really liked the overused "[NOUN], BITCHES! *flips off everybody*" rear end in a top hat Lewis that came with the later seasons, but they seem to have dialed him back since.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BryanAdams posted:

Homer gets an iPad

MyMad by Mapple made by Steve Mobs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bust Rodd posted:

Roseanne was also the only house on TV that looked like my house :unsmith:

Yo, same here.

I remember reading an article back in the day during the show's original run about how they got the aesthetic of a lived-in home, and they would do stuff like toss the kitchen chairs into the air and let them fall on the ground, have crew members' kids come in and jump all over the sofa and chairs, throw fine sand all over the furniture and wipe it off to put scratches and wear on everything... it was pretty cool.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqfLOJGS_7o

This entire 3 minutes and 43 seconds is funnier than the past 10+ years combined.

That clip led to the beginning of "The Devil and Homer Simpson," from a great THOH episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nq4RFqiT8

Same thing: this 4 minute clip has more jokes and really great animation compared to the past 15+ years combined.

I mean, that split second of Ned's face as his true form returns to Hell, Homer's descent into Hell, the demon chopping up Homer for hot dog meat... the animation is just so much more lively and vibrant than that loving gif of "robotic Marge turns head in intro, Maggie has two repeating frames of shaking fist" bullshit that plagues modern Simpsons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Phlegmish posted:

The first episode aired right before I was born, and it's still going

I'm going to die before they pull the plug on the Simpsons

When “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” first aired, Bart and I were the same age. Now I’m pushing 40 and Bart is still 10.

I’m gonna be 90 in a nursing home making GBS threads the bed, and Bart is still going to be 10 and on the air.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I like how FXX is all in on “EVERY GODDAMN SIMPSONS EPISODE EVER PRODUCED RIGHT loving NOW ON FXX”, but it’s always episodes from season 20 and up.

Even Freeform is apparently showing Treehouse of Horror episodes in marathon form this month, but again it’s ToH X and up.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I always thought Bart Gets an F was a stronger emotional episode

Every single one of us here at least once in our childhood tried our absolute best at a single thing, pushed ourselves harder than we’ve ever been pushed before, gave it our all and full attention, and still failed miserably at it. I have never seen a more accurate representation of childhood failure better than when Bart starts crying hysterically in Bart Gets an F. It’s a punch in the gut.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Phlegmish posted:

Much like the vastness of the universe the human mind is unable to comprehend just how long the Simpsons has been on air

Simpsons began with the initial singularity. It will end with the heat death.

lol jk Simpsons will still be produced by Boltzmann brains long after the Universe ends.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish I could get into Bob’s Burgers but the voices just annoy the gently caress out of me.

That, and no one has a chin.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Turkey Bart and Lisa’s faces are the perfect expression for why isn’t this loving show cancelled yet? Please, for the love of gently caress just let it die.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bust Rodd posted:

The only good reoccurring character in the Simpsons is Sideshow Bob.

I said it earlier in the thread, but there was a Sideshow Bob episode about genetically modified organisms and how Bob modified himself to have gills to breathe underwater and grasshopper legs to jump high and poo poo. People didn’t believe it was a real episode description, but it was. Pretty sure that episode is also bare minimum five years old by now, if not ten years old.

Also, let’s not forget VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA!!!!!!

Sideshow Bob has sucked fat pimply rear end for years now.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Should have just called it Zapple and have the logo be an apple with a lightning bolt through it.

Or how about Grapple (grape-apple) and have the logo be similar to Apple’s, but purple?

What about Chapel and the logo is a small church-like building?

See, anything is better than goddamn MAPPLE.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

P sure Syszlak is polish

Hey, Moe, wassamatta? You no talka wit you accent no more.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You bastard. Great minds think alike.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Calaveron posted:

See, this is half of why the new animation is so unpleasant to look at. That character is too over designed, she’s got poo poo all over her and that makes her stand out like a sore thumb while most of the older celebrity guests playing a character instead of themselves are all solid colors with maybe a detail or two

It’s this. A majority of Springfield for the longest time had simplified clothing and colors, but the new characters and guest stars have incredibly way too much thought put into their appearance (which is probably the most thought put into the show nowadays). Look at that image that you quoted, and then think back to Homerpalooza and how Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins appeared. A stark contrast to the latter example where SY and SP look like they’ve always been a part of Springfield.

I’ll spare you the hideousness of posting an image here, but look up “Homer gives Jimmy Kimmel a tour of Springfield” and cringe at how rear end-ugly Kimmel appears because of the over thinking of how Kimmel must look. I’d be loving pissed if I were Kimmel and I looked like THAT in the Simpsons universe.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

We just gotta get to the next joke man. Got 22 of these fuckers to get through this year and I've got a 3:30 tee time.

Basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s older people (re: possibly Boomers) that don’t get jokes, folks. Irony, non-sequiturs, and subversion of expectations is something completely alien to them.

Unless the joke is racism. Then they laugh. I bet if you showed them the clip of flapping dickey Krusty with zero context, they would laugh.