Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I feel like I remember a vague trend of the Simpson really sucking around election time. Does anyone else remember a pretty stupid one where all of Springfield voted for Ralph Wiggum as a presidential candidate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Razorwired posted:

It's not even the most uncomfortable "Homer gets raped" scene.

Even the scene where Homer's gay roommate kissed him while he and Marge were fighting was pretty uncomfortable.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

some are the best some kinda suck tbh and there is no objective way to select. Mr Magoo was loved by many but I didn't see it more than once. I really love Spy Hard but a lot of people rate it as one of the worst ones. The Naked Gun trilogy is great though and should be watched, just to see how it evolves over time. also if you haven't seen Hot Shots or Hot shots: part deux, you should check them out. Lastly, Loaded Weapon is a great B-comedy

Has anyone mentioned Dracula: Dead and Loving It! yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BG66Sz8SZs

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

luncheon meat posted:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL

As a kid, I never realized how much of a kissass they made Strawberry out to be throughout the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhnqEjM2Yxc

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Benny Harvey posted:

Tbh, I see this as more of a low point for Playboy.

Did the Simpsons writers make up a conversation from Marge like they did with Barbara Bush, or was that a joke cover for an interview with Matt Groeining?

I can't figure out if I would found it more or less disturbing if I went to a dude's house and saw that on the coffee table versus a regular Playboy.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Make way, make way, you comedy peons. Famous movie star coming through, and I'm carrying something you've never seen before: It's called "talent!"

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOyI9V2RfE

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Conan was what?

edit: oh, okay.

PallasAthene fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 7, 2017

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

"allow me to respond with a question: why would a man whose shirt says 'genius at work' spend his time watching a children's cartoon?"

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Watching that just made me realize how much the early Simpsons had in common with King of the Hill....they were cartoons, but they didn't play them like that...I can't remember KOTH doing anything that wouldn't have been doable with live action characters (and probably a huge budget.)

Seeing Homer get his head caught in a bridge and run over by cars without any consequences is a pretty stark contrast to seeing him bandaged up after Maggie hit him with the hammer.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

yeah take that EPA

Last Chance posted:

Even if you ignore the undeserved slam on the EPA, this is just wholly unpleasant to sit through. My ears.. Good find. We need more terrible moments in this thread

Didn't it turn out the EPA regulations were part of an elaborate scheme for a reality show with Carmen Electra, so it wasn't really an EPA agent?

I thought the episode was ho-hum overall, but I got a laugh out of this resemblance:

I hope it wasn't coincidental.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI2oOgSXKYk

Back when they were able to take Homer in the cartoonish direction without everything falling apart.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

This just feels like something that belongs in Ren & Stimpy or Rugrats or Hey Arnold or some other Nicktoons show.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyone say That '90s Show, yet? 'Cause that's when I felt loving insulted having watched the show for so many years.

Retconning how Homer and Marge met, retconning everything else by moving the established past ('70s and '80s) up into the '90s, a shitload of unfunny anachronistic "HEY, IT'S THE '90S REMEMBER THIS?!?!" entire decade references, and Homer's stupid grunge band with even stupider song parodies. gently caress that episode.

It was so bad, the following flashback episode had Marge and Homer back in high school in the '70s.

Marge thought he was on heroin because of the needles in his arm but it was insulin! Because he was diabetic! From too much Starbucks! GET IT?????

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Benny Harvey posted:

Wolfcastle being literally Arnold is another example of neo Simpsons needing to explain every joke. Rainer was basically Arnold but was better when just called Rainer because then you're ripping on a Hollywood stock character (could also be van damme or lundgren) instead of gossipping about celebs.

E: because the Simpsons was so good at sending up tropes, I used to think that Matlock, macgyver and jay Sherman were all their own creations like itchy and scratchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjqc1hqbRmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJei9xpRrI

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

a fan sent an unsolicited script to Prince and Prince thought it was cool and wanted to do it

the Simpsons writers had made another script for Prince and Prince didn't like it

idk they talk about this on the dvd commentary

I remember reading online a while back that they wanted to bring back that crazy Michael Jackson character and having him think he was Prince instead, but Prince saw that as him playing second fiddle to MJ, so he had his limo driver write a new script, which he sent to the Simpsons crew, who rejected it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

death by computer posted:

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode. And the moment I knew for a fact that it wasn't was the loving kid's show episode ("I MUST GET MY HANDS ON THOSE HEALTHY PURPLEBERRIES!").

But the way the villain cowers when Bender pulls out his chainsaw, tommy gun, and laser during the GI Zapp scene makes up for everything bad in the rest of that episode.

https://youtu.be/hWFVTIYRf-k?t=269

I'm also glad that they brought back the series because we got the line "And who created that first robot? Some bearded robot in the sky?"