Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
i looked this up because i did not believe you. turns out its 100% true. from the looks of the descriptions every single episode has multiple celebraty guest stars. I assueme that The Simpsons is now just a celebrity vanity project, only watched by guest stars to stroke their own ego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_24)

It's cool that the 'Ad revenue' section is at the forefront of this article and the episodes and stuff are listed beneath it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

"Mean-spirited" is a pretty good descriptor for the Simpsons past, uh, 2001 or '02 or so.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Whenever someone talks about The Simpsons not getting good until season 3/4 I remind them of Bart the Daredevil.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The first season wasn't too bad, just really mundane. The people writing it were just making a very straightforward family sitcom and hadn't yet realized that having it be animated basically gave them free reign to do whatever they want.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I saw this for the first time around '99 or so. I think I was 9 and that was the hardest I'd ever laughed up until that point

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Dogmeat posted:

This. Armin Tamzarian and any Lisa episodes are bad, sure. But celebrity guests appearing as themselves are what turned the Simpsons into irredeemable garbage. Mel Gibson was the first I can remember.

I think it started with that episode with Alec Baldwin and Ron Howard. They had celebrities playing themselves up until that point- James Woods, Aerosmith etc- but they were mostly relegated to C plots or quick cameos. That was the first time an episode actually focused on celebrities (unless you count the "Michael Jackson" episode, which is pretty dubious. I don't think he even got credited)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I believe the same thing I believed a decade ago: Behind the Laughter should have been the final episode, and the movie should have been the finale.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

It was, which is a huge improvement compared to the last 15 or so years.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I remember reading an interview with Matt Groening a few years ago where he said that making the animation as stiff and stale as possible was something he personally started enforcing around seasons 9-11 and that it was 'really important to the integrity of the show' because he wanted the writing to stick in people's minds instead of the visuals, and that old Hanna-Barbara cartoons that reused animations and backgrounds all the time were basically the standard he wanted to get to, and I honestly couldn't tell whether or not he was just taking the piss.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

I just remembered the Baha Men did a song called "Who Let Her Jugs Out?" for the episode where Marge gets breast implants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOzTqkLdGvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Rambling Robot posted:

When something like this is greenlighted, everyone's just phoning in. Why bother?

For whatever reason, investors still consider the show important.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

death by computer posted:

Anyone remember the episode where Moe falls in love with a midget and tries to shorten himself with surgery so they can be together?

Lol

e: Nevermind, this actually happened.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Take this DeviantArt crap to the DA thread.

e: oh

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

tbh, and just imo, I feel like the ongoing popularity of the Simpsons is largely because of Europe.

They loving eat that poo poo up. I swear it has to be one of the most watched shows in most European countries. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or "lol those dumb Americans," or what.

But oh god the dubbing, especially German

Europeans are overwhelmingly mentally ill.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

homer badman is still relevant today

Homer Badman is more relevant today

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

berth ell pup posted:

7 is the best season of the simpsons as almost every episode is gold. It starts to crack in 8, 9 is eh 10 it becomes bad.

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.

Wtf

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

John K is still alive?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

Even on the DVD's of Ren and Stimpy, a long-time fan of the show was a girl that sounded early 20's was invited to talk on the commentaries. John was trying to flirt with her the whole time. Imagine...one of your beloved shows from when you were a kid, and the creator just wants to bang you.

That's astounding

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ralph Bakshi's stuff is cool. Give me rotoscoping over Flash motion tweening any day

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

The panda one is funny because pandas are infamously not into loving, so that's the joke.

The panda rape thing isn't really funny on its own, but now that I think about it the concept of a bunch of Simpsons writers and animators gathering in some conference room and having a fervent round table discussion on how best to go about having Homer get raped by a panda is very funny and I wish there was video of it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

that video a page or two ago by the weird irish kid really nailed it

I quit watching after the first word he uttered revealed his low-t Virgin Voice

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Riptor posted:

I dunno, Ted Cruz did some pretty great impressions of his favorite tv family the stimsons

I could have gone the rest of my life without remembering this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Whatev posted:

Randomly watched a bad episode on youtube yesterday so here is a really embarrassing bit from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kknltynNco

The video thumbnail is more than enough, thank you.