Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Tik Tok is funny and weird and I'm glad it happened. the couch gags should have free reign to be stupid and not make sense

the show doesn't actually keep getting worse and worse, it has a slight fall off around season 10 followed by a deep plunge into poo poo and then there's a decades long clawing up to "not that bad". compare any of the Matt Selman episodes from recent seasons to Kill the Alligator and Run if you don't believe me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Riptor posted:

watch out i pointed this out months ago and got attacked for it for some weird reason

I'm sorry that happened to you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

The saddest part of that tweet is his implication that it's perfectly fine for a scene to have a single, single-layered joke

what tweet?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

The Bible posted:

Not just that, but hidden in the smallest part of the scene, directly under a massive non-joke that will clearly draw the eye much more.
this is the only line of discussion itt rn that sounds interesting and I have no idea what the context is

e: here is a good scene from "The Simpson's" (the show), imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdz4bc2LGMM

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Al Jean twitted a promo screen for an upcoming episode with some text like "The Simpsons go to the N&N store! Can you spot the hidden gag?" The 'joke' being that the Simpsons were walking out of the store, each carrying a bucket of candies, except Homer who was carrying a struggling mascot, instead. All the responses were people piling on that 'N&N' was a dumb name, so Al finally relented and tweeted "the joke is in the lower right corner."
oh. yeesh.

thank you, though

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

yes. in "a totally fun thing bart will never do again," the simpsons end up on a cruise ship and bart inadvertantly uses the ship's video library to convince everybody that there is a virus overtaking the entire world. the ships descends into anarchy and they sail towards antarctica. eventually the ruse all falls apart and the simpsons are dumped near a penguin research station

this is real

Cubone
May 26, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I remember a cartoon episode with this plot, but was it really The Simpsons?
yeah I googled it

and it was actually titled "a totally fun thing bart will never do again" :confused:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

dead rear end thought they actually added Roy to the show

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I'd rather watch Lisa vs. Malibu Stacey, Lisa the Iconoclast, Lisa's Wedding, The Old Man and the Lisa, Lisa's Substitute, Summer of 4'2", or My Sister My Sitter, than $pringfield, Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield, Marge in Chains, Marge Be Not Proud, or A Streetcar Named Marge
e: also Bart vs. Thanksgiving, which IS a Lisa episode, it's definitely not a loving Bart episode ok

BUT I'd rather watch Marge on the Lam, The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, or Marge vs. The Monorail, than Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington, I Love Lisa, Lisa the Vegetarian, or The Secret War of Lisa Simpson.
e2: and Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment is a Homer episode, but if it were a Lisa episode it would go here

I hope everybody's taking notes

Cubone fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 17, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I had to pause from laughing after the kid whose mom "only celebrates Bastille Day" excitedly says "I know where we can get some baguettes" and then the cut to Marge going through Homer's purchases from the previous scene, and when I unpaused it immediately got me again with "heheh. this baby's sure to kill somethin'!"

the comedy is just so dense! MAN, what a good show.

:(

Cubone
May 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Lisa's parts in Summer of 4'2" were bad.

she's the heart of the episode you clod!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Lisa sucks.

leave my girl alone she is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4GD2feZ8Q

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Nonviolent J posted:

So all the cool people voted homer and the dumb retards left over voted Lisa, gotcha

Cubone
May 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Lisa the Vegetarian is Season 7.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

milhouse's parents getting divorced and staying divorced at the end of the episode was hilarious exactly because by sitcom logic it shouldn't have happened

"can I borrow a feeling" was perfect set-up and pay-off for getting them back together and luann was just like EW NO.

e:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourites are the ones that clearly demonstrate how the writing has degenerated as the character has got less funny over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ti-KRlZuZI
jesus, it turns on a loving dime

whenever it leaves standard definition it's like being punched in the face

Cubone
May 26, 2011

season 5 is also around the time they went into syndication

I don't think I ever watched The Simpsons on Sundays, I always caught it in reruns
UPN weekdays at 6:00 and 6:30 (7:30 central) :goleft:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

even Season 12 had HOMR and Trilogy of Error

as soon as Al Jean came back as showrunner they somehow managed to have a bad Treehouse of Horror
and then the next good joke was in season 16

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Laterite posted:

The highest-rated episode in absolute viewers is Bart Gets An F. That's pretty wild.
that's probably due to the high quality of the previous episode, which I preserved the memory of in a tattoo

*rolls up sleeve* "Some Enchanted Evening"!?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Junk posted:

also i would like someone to name one good simpsons catchphrase from season 14 onward
"Spider poison is people poison!?"

:colbert:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Snospmis Eht only gets better every season. Snrub is my favourite character.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

quote:

rather than risk having to change the tone of the show and alter its legacy.

still so culturally relevant, and sort of such a pillar of our culture

Cubone
May 26, 2011

that's not al jean, it's yeardley smith

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I suspect if we ever figure out what that message was meant to be, we will achieve a sort of anti-enlightenment, where we might be able to guess the truth by remembering everything we know is wrong. It's delivered like a message, but I can't figure out what it's meant to be.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

I watched it when it originally aired and I was a pre-teen, I think it had the old guy from Coach?
OH poo poo the TGIF show?
lmao

yeah I watched that poo poo too I must have been like 8 or 9

Sabrina the Teenage Witch had taken off the previous season and they went all in on magic with that and a show about a genie
the premise was the one kid dies from eating an old burger and becomes the guardian angel for the other kid

the only episodes I remember was, the teen angel learned he could time travel, so he traveled back in time to stop himself from eating the burger, but then the other kid ate it and became an angel, but it didn't stop the original teen angel being an angel for some reason, and the two of them traveled back again to stop them both from eating it, but then Jerry Van Dyne slipped on the burger and fell out the window and died. eventually everybody in the house was murdered by the hamburger. I don't remember how it was resolved

Cubone
May 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Futurama had some gems in the later seasons. "The Late Philip J Fry" was an obvious standout, but even in the last season, the series finale was good, as was the parody of The Thing and the one where they become firemen.
yes

I gave up on Futurama after the Susan Boyle episode, but I happened to catch one scene from this episode

Professor Farnsworth says something like, "Any one of us could be next!" and the camera pans as he points and starts naming the people who could be next, "Fry, Leela, Bender, Jackie Junior..."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

elfo dies and a character specifically does not bring him back to life when they could

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

this sounds absolutely loving hilarious :haw:
I found it funny as a kid and honestly as an adult I still find it funny at least in abstract

Cubone
May 26, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I like to use the production codes to decide what fits in classic Simpsons vs post-classic. The classic series used the four character production codes while post-classic uses the XABF## codes. The means Bart the Mother (episode 5F22) the series finale of classic Simpsons. It also happens to be Phil Hartman's final episode which is also a good enough to reason to consider it the end of an era.

when winter rolled around, the simpsons simply froze to death

Cubone
May 26, 2011

in the 90's, [annoyed grunt] (also known as "d'oh!") was such a successful catchphrase that Fox mandated every cartoon sitcom had to have a catch-phrase, in the hopes that something would catch on in a similar way

the critic's, of course, was "hachi-machi!"
king of the hill had "dang it bobby" and "the boy ain't right" but also hank going "hwuh!?" in surprise

if you ever have call to watch The PJs, watch for Eddie Murphy's character going "uht!"
that was his
the catchphrase to take america by storm

"uht!"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn’t be sexualized
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I loving hated minerva mink. every time she showed up the show ground to a halt because she never did anything

Cubone
May 26, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Let's face it, anything that wasn't the Warners, Pinky & the Brain, or Slappy Squirrel was usually poo poo. Even Slappy was kind of ruined after they did that very special episode where she goes senile or whatever it was.
I haven't watched the show since I was a kid but I remember liking pretty much everything except minerva mink and the hip hippos
but the hip hippos I just thought weren't that funny, minerva mink made me want to change the channel
but I couldn't because I didn't want to miss the rest of the show in case they did good idea/bad idea or rita & runt
so I would just leave the tv on and be bored

I liked buttons and mindy, I liked chicken boo, I even liked katie kaboom because she turned into monsters

e: I completely forgot about goodfeathers but yeah I liked goodfeathers too. the bits where the joe pesci pigeon misinterprets a complement, and when the marlon brando pigeon shows up and just mutters gibberish were great

Cubone fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 16, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Rita & Runt was good
yeah definally. definally good

Runt was a big lovable doof who didn't realize Rita was a cat and talked like rain man, and Rita was there so I could watch Bernadette Peters sing show tunes and make my father worry

Cubone
May 26, 2011

the most new-simpsons move would be to take this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WbdD4F2LLA

and actually make him the new teacher

the "jokes" that completely miss the joke practically write themselves

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I watched disenchantment, against the advisement of this thread, because I wanted to know what I was masturbating to
it was on the lower side of ok. whoever said it finds its footing at episode 8 but it's not really worth it was right. the good parts made me wish it were better than it is

but it made me notice something about late-Groening that, once I started noticing, I couldn't stop noticing, but I don't quite know how to articulate it

to illustrate, I rewrote a scene from Anchorman in the new-simpsons' house style
please observe:

quote:

Veronica Corningstone: Mr. Burgundy, you are acting like a child.
Ron Burgundy: I'm not a child, I'm a man!
[Veronica Corningstone stops speaking and moving and stares forward in complete silence. Ron Burgundy stomps away.]
Ron Burgundy: Mommy! Where's my teddy bear?
[Ron Burgundy's mother walks on screen and hands him a teddy bear.]
Ron Burgundy: I wuv my teddy.
[Ron Burgundy sucks his thumb]
I really wish I had a short, pithy way to describe and ridicule this tendency.
it's like they start out knowing they need a joke, but they don't know how to get there, so they just have the characters say or do things that make absolutely no sense for them or the situation except to set-up and payoff a gag, and the end result is, instead of a joke, even a bad one, it's just this sort of joke-shaped object that doesn't even make enough sense to register as not funny, and then the show just sort of moves on

anyway, I also started watching bojack horseman. I'm probably going to continue watching bojack horseman, it's about as good as people say

Cubone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 19, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

(video unavailable, for some reason).
d'oh

fixed

Cubone
May 26, 2011

bob-rake was funny because the sap's got dignity

peter-leg was funny the first time
partly because it wasn't immediately clear where the gag was going (followed a willy wonka golden ticket parody iirc) and when the pin dropped it was the kaufmanesque anti-humor of wasting 30 straight seconds of network airtime back when that was still kind of a ballsy and weird thing to do,
but also partly because it's actually a really natural reaction to a charley horse, and it comes when you're not expecting anything other than over-the-top cartoon violence
the second time they did that bit they actually cut it off really quickly because part of the gag was the fakeout, like "ahhh, we wouldn't do that to you ;)"
then they did it four more times

Cubone
May 26, 2011

didn't avclub used to be Onion staff writers being just serious enough to not be talking complete nonsense?

I swear they used to have articles where they would make fun of dvd commentary tracks that went horribly off the rails and poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Karate Dave is coming to kill me is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time and I'm convinced it would be an instant classic if we weren't otherwise hearing about the president every single day in every single form of media