Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Man SMART!
A woman is! Smar-ter!
Man SMART!
A woman is! Smar-ter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Rewatching old THoHs and Lisa's voice always stuck out to me in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5klazFOs4w

"Okegh. :fag:"
I'd love to know the story behind using that take.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That, and they were also very funny, but like the Bad Dream House salesman, I think I've mentioned that five or six times.

God, that's such a great joke.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
To be fair, the town is run by a super villain. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Keromaru5 posted:

So when I imagine Homer trying to hammer down an animal that's struggling to get out after he's swallowed it whole, I imagine a game of whack-a-mole where maybe the cat dodges for a minute. And it sounds like that wasn't their first, most obvious idea?

Woulda been funny if he tried to smack the cat and yelled in pain as he's hitting himself with the frying pan.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
gently caress, I wanna know, too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was thinking of alternatives and I like, "I'm the one getting bullied by my imaginary friend!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phlegmish posted:

Interesting that you should bring that up. As a European kid who knew very little about the United States at the time, I just assumed it was set in New York City. I recently found out that, nope, it's Portland.

e: alright, looking it up again just now, that's not quite right. Apparently it's an amalgamation of several different places, including Portland, Seattle, and (indeed) Brooklyn.

So Hillwood itself is these different cities, but it is in Washington state:

Also see: Episode reenacting the Pig War.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I always thought it was in Kentucky because my dad's from Shelbyville and there's a Springfield about 40 miles from it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Forgot to add "as a kid."
Nah, it's pretty clever because everywhere has a Springfield and I'm sure there are multiple Shelbyvilles. It was coincidental my dad was from one so child me was like, "Oh yeah, of course, that has to be it!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If they need someone to do the shyguy voice I can do it spot on

Same. I played Mario Party for the first time earlier this year and it startled the poo poo out of me to hear my own voice.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Toxic Mental posted:

and did I just see Homer loving thrusting into his wife?

Came here to say I coulda happily gone my life and the life of everyone else without having seen that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Seems like the joke should have been Homer being completely oblivious to what a Destination Wedding was/is and the entire skit is everyone else filling him in with the most minute details that has him being more and more disillusioned by the prospect. Or go back to some old-fashioned Homer is dumb stuff.

"It's in the Poconos!"
"We've got to go all the way to that puppet-themed restaurant in Shelbyville?!"
"That's Pinnochio's, and they're not puppets, they're marionettes, dad. The Poconos are in Pennsylvania."
"SO IS DRACULA, LISA!"

I like this better than mine.

"Woo hoo! Free luxury vacation!"
"It's not free. And it's in a barn."
"D'oh! D'oh!"

Shorter than what we got, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Honestly having fun seeing everyone's takes. This is probably what the writer's room used to feel like!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The first "EH. :downs:" of the surprise witness really got me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm sincerely having a little trouble parsing the "Chuck's Seed & Feed" angle. So the idea is that you're supposed to think it was Suck & gently caress, but it's actually not and your mind was making it dirtier than the actual store name?

I guess I'm a little lost as to where the intervention comes in to correct the dirty version. Usually that sort of joke works like the Miss Susie rhyme, where the intervention is the punchline. Isn't that missing here? Or is the intervention meant to be that the sign acknowledges "Chuck" as the sole change, and you're meant to take it verbatim?

Not mad. Just too tired and trying to understand stuff in the Simpsons thread.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, got it! I, too, never knew there was another school of thought on the joke.

I also never knew about Homer referring to what he just saw as the one time he saw a guy yell at shoes, but I honestly like that version of the joke better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That Lasagna Cat video taking an hour to appreciate a 3 panel Garfield comic was pretty funny, tho.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You jest, but there are wars on that joke.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kinda wild to think Simpsons was already dipping into that "add a baby to keep things fresh" well in the 90's.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I Have No Mouth and I Must (Annoyed Grunt)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You jest, but graphing audience ratings and distilling them down to "good episode trait" vs "bad episode trait" checklists is extremely executive accurate.

Why Marvels fail? Is it woman?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Montague Tigg posted:

yeah, the Cronenberg showrunner era was pretty fuckin' weird but at least we got Graggle out of it

Yet another character they threw a baby at which out-ages Maggie. And Mr. Burns.
At least it only lasted one episode, but it feels a little Snowball II in retrospect.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hate the zealot Flanders spin. It ruins the entire drat joke and now Homer's the straight man because of course you hate the nosy, judgemental bigot.

I've never seen a funny joke come out of Flanders being a Stephen King Christian Lady. Cynical and hypocritical Lovejoy was the perfect vehicle for that already.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

all those Simpsons-Dragon Ball memes

I am now learning a thing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I honestly miss the steamed hams AI channel despite loving loathing AI.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Have they introduced any stereotype characters in the last 20 years? Everybody was talking about Disco Stu and Bumblebee Man and I was just wondering if they introduced Crypto Joe or Karen.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can get where if you jump the gun on something and add in animation turn around, you might be referencing a flash-in-the-pan that was stale within weeks. *Cough*SusanBoyle*Cough*

But, like... Yeah, Mario Kart is an odd choice if you're gonna be that bland with it. It's not a deep cut or interesting commentary, so what's the point?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The point is probably more that Homer is anxious about Lisa apparently doing some kind of race.

It would be the same if they referenced Fast & Furious or Grand Theft Auto since they didn't do anything particularly fun with the material.

"I am [Character A]!"
"I am [Character B]!"
"I am [Character C]!"
*Character C attacks Character A*
*Dream ends*

A more fun and imaginative Simpsons referential dream sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0968-36s4

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

Oh god what the hell. I don't know what that is but it's not the Simpsons

It's like if someone did a joke re-animation of some other unrelated skit but with Simpsons characters overlaid on top

The Rick & Morty trial reading, but the transcript is some struggling Youtube drama channel.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

shyduck posted:

Yeah to make sure it's dead

... Shoot it again, Sam.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That's hideous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My eyes keep getting drawn to Dash like a trainwreck black hole. WHY IS HE SO TALL.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

shyduck posted:

I just let out the biggest sigh

I heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was just appreciating the "chimpan-A to chimpan-Z" lyric yesterday. I would be so proud.