Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah this week's episode was pretty crap (better than the previous one, though). And I have no idea why it's a two-parter. Have they ever even done a two-parter before aside from Who Shot Mr. Burns?

The idea of a hotshot young reverend coming to town to displace Lovejoy is not a bad idea for a plot (though it feels like it's been done before? Possibly involving The Parson? I don't remember), but this was super bland and stretched out over two episode for reasons unknown.

There was also the Catholic episode with Liam Neeson, which involved this joke (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'm too distracted by Moe telling him to 'make it through the night', when it's the middle of the day.

It's the antithesis of :perfect:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I legit thought this was Gils first appearance, because I misremembered the Jimmy Stewart impersonation being more in line with Gils stammering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz8BvaQL9Q

This has been my Gil story.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

bitterandtwisted posted:

the most important part of the Simpsons' legacy: it's effect on regional variations on "Jingle Bells Batman Smells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5u9JSnAAU4&t=618s

I'm still confused he never talked about the very first Simpsons episode, as opposed to $pringfield. That's where I learned that version.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Olewithmilk posted:

Can someone help me find a quote/name of an episode? Its from a golden period episode when The Simpsons go to a colonial village. Barney is there and Homer says something like "oh you got a job as the town drunk?" and Barney is like "what job?"

I can't find it through Google because I dont remember the rest of the plot of the episode, and there's been too many bad episodes based on colonial villages since.

I thought it was Whacking Day, when Marge takes Bart to the historical Springfield town area thing.

Turns out I was right.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I don't blame anyone for not remembering, but they already did done it

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Reminded me of this, but expanded on and not a straight rip, so

Data Graham posted:

Too close to being funny, cut it

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

But also that if he tried hard, he could end up being the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, AND get to watch the Itchy and Scratchy Movie.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MASH also did one, involving a soldier who gets the wrong blood, and turns out he traded tags with his buddy, who got killed right before he rotated out. That was just purely an attempt to get out of combat, not to replace him completely.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

We once lost a PM while he went surfing
Another one would disappear for weeks at a time when the bushfires happened, because he was a volunteer firefighter
And our current one did the same, but that was so he could go to Hawaii for a holiday or his church needed him to perform a blood sacrifice or something
So that's pretty much on the level.

I think what helps is that while the episode is not accurate in the slightest, it captures how Strayans feel about themselves, specifically the 'we play up the Paul Hogan stereotype to gently caress with people, especially seppos'. So knifey-spooney, dollarydoos and chazzwazzers are all in the lexicon. The only legit issue- nobody drinks Fosters, it's a beer for poms. Blame Hoges for that one.

Also I do not understand why Yahoo Serious was a thing and the episode mentioning him specifically confuses me. Though I think I enjoyed Reckless Kelly as an exceptionally dumb comedy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

These days, it's 'fuckwit'.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Hrist posted:

They're finally free to do things like the episode where Carl cheats on Lenny with Homer.

Wait, that aired already, right? The mouse'll fire me if I leak another one. :ohdear:

I vaguely remember one where Homer and Lenny run away to be roughnecks, does that count?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So it's a rerun of Natural Born Kissers?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I did a trivia night with a friend, who refused to believe there was an episode with a man pretending to be a lesbian. Question was on what his real name was, which I blanked on completely.

Most of the post S15 questions nobody got, to be fair.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I don't know why, but being reminded of the episode annoys me purely from Tom Scott saying that that episode was the first appearance of 'Jingle Bells Batman Smells'.

It was in the loving first episode, you pommy wanker! :argh:

But yes, Goulets cameo and rendition ofnthat song was perfect.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sentient Data posted:

He didn't need new tires, he wanted a balance :colbert:

Also it opens with a field trip to the post office, which gives us the 75% of the good jokes of said episode

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

See also-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYllbOBobM

Sadly they missed by like 15 movies...

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I mean, theres an obvious answer for why she chose this

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Only thing I recall when it came out, aside from nonstop Spiderpig posting online, was a mate seeing it in theatre and recounting the funniest moment that made everyone laugh-

The fake out 'to be continued', followed by a very loud 'GET hosed' from an audience member, followed further by '... right now' and finished with the same bloke uttering a soft 'oh'.

That and the mob scene halfway through, which I remember looking really out of place with how it was animated.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I do enjoy that bit, cause it's just 2 quick aside comments and then the punchline-

Just in and out in the middle of other important scenes.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

JediTalentAgent posted:

Homer dances out of the room, singing a badly remembered version of the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" using Pocono, Benihana, etc.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Phlegmish posted:

I remember being kind of weirded out by Lisa the Skeptic, as well as that season 2 (?) episode about stealing cable, but for cultural reasons. In general, American shows are relatable enough from a Western European perspective, but every now and then you get a reminder that they're very different societies in certain ways. To have religion feature so prominently in people's lives that the majority of the population would believe in the literal existence of angels is unthinkable here. Not because we're all frothing r/atheist types, but because it's just not something the average person would ever think about or engage with, and you would get mocked for doing so. So these types of episodes are a bit alienating, but also interesting in an anthropological sort of way.

Same but for Homer the Heretic. I still don't get why everyone went so hard against Homer because he wanted to sleep in on Sundays. Especially Marge saying 'don't make me choose between you and god'.

Homer vs. the 8th Commandment though I read as 'kid gets told about morality and takes it extremely seriously', in the same way Lisa saw how cute lambs are and extrapolated it to becoming vegetarian in later seasons. And then the comedy comes from that clashing with Homer having to deal with the consequences of his kleptomaniac actions.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ishikabibble posted:

On the topic of weird Simpsons inclusions, I've always wondered how dated/realistic Homer's barfly tendencies really were. Growing up I don't think I ever knew anyone who's dad who'd just disappear to bars to 'hang out with the guys'. But I also grew up both in the late 90s/early 00s and on the west coast so I have no idea how common an experience that was.

Hometown is a small mining town in northern Aus, and Moes felt perfectly normal- dad would either be at the pub, or he'd take us kids there, and we'd play outside in a nearby park with our mates, while our dads got on the piss inside.

This was back when smoking was allowed indoors, as well as the windows all being shuttered with minimal lighting, so that pub matched Moes for how derro it was. Most pubs these days have shifted to, well, Uncle Moes Family Feedbag. Brughter, and shifted to the food instead of just booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

And Hutz is currently in hiding, working in an Orange Julius in Capital City