Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We're gonna groove tonight! We'll make you feel alright! Simpsons Skibidi Toilet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the idea that it's the worst episode of all time and a definitive turning point has perpetuated ever since internet nerds in 1997 said it and it somehow stuck. There are still good episodes after it, and I would argue that there were at least a few worse episodes before it. It was a bit of a shocker at the time, but that was the point. It doesn't even come close to the depths that the show has sunk to, over and over again, for the last 25 years.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like the babysitting episode because it plays out exactly like a nightmare someone who babysits might have.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Had to read the comments to see that it was supposed to be this song, which I've never heard before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtwKn_gX4ZE

The segment is slightly less wtf after hearing it because now I can hear the melody they were attempting.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It’s “better” in the sense that they are no longer doing actively cringy and appalling stuff and it’s mostly just bland, soulless, and low effort.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh wow, that's weird and obscure. The song is from a 1969 album made for the old Archie comics. Which technically the album has been referenced before in the Simpsons in 1993.

Except "Sugar, Sugar" is a better-known song, having topped the charts in 1969 (which is often cited as an example of how popular media at the time can just kinda be forgettable garbage compared to the other songs from 1969 that are more famous now), and even with that, the 1993 reference doesn't even rely on you knowing where the song is from, whereas the 2017 Hot Dog reference is more specifically riffing on the song itself (but also riffing in a weird way? Why does Homer want to rhyme with relish?).

And not that I think the Sugar Sugar joke is even strong, but it's less than 20 seconds and leads into a better joke, while the Hot Dog joke is 50 seconds and then goes nowhere.

Plus, the "Sugar, Sugar" segment uses the actual song, even when everyone in 1993 would have likely known it. Here, they're really off key and off tempo singing an obscure song. At the very least it should have had instruments behind it so people had an idea of what they were attempting. Because when I first heard it I assumed it was some half-assed tune the writers made up on the spot and went with it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every subsequent generation has grown up with boomer music as omnipresent background noise, it's quaint to think no one would recognise a song from 1969.

Are you talking about the hot dog song? Because it's pretty drat obscure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Every single thing about that podcast clip was just dreadfully depressing. It makes even that hot dog song clip which is apparently 5 years old seem to have life.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Despite the fact that for the last literally twenty years I've watched maybe thirty new episodes, and probably like three tops from the last five years, yeah I would watch it. But it would be more like watching a childhood friend finally be at peace after a long battle with a terminal illness.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BalloonFish posted:

When my sister and I used to watch the simpsons during the good years, we would cook up theories about why, in the opening titles, the family were in such a rush to get home to cram onto the couch to watch the TV. I had this notion that that would be a good ending for the series ("when they decide to end it, which must be soon - it's not like it'll keep going to series 20 or whatever" - BalloonFish, aged 11, 1998) to end with the intro sequence - in the last season up to the end Homer loses his position as safety inspector and goes back to the 'shopfloor' (so he's wrestling with the glowing carbon rod), Lisa starts biking too/from school etc. etc. And then there's some big TV moment or event or reveal that all the Simpsons have to be home to see. They all pile onto the sofa, but instead of the fanfare it just ends.

Single-digit-season-number Simpsons could probably do something cool and funny with that idea. I wouldn't trust current Simpsons to.

This may actually be the best possible way to end the show (other than ending it 25 years ago). Make an entire episode that recreates the opening sequence. Cram in as much fanservice and goodbye nods as possible as each family member makes their way home. Make the reason they're trying to watch TV together something bittersweet.

Something like this acknowledges that it's a final episode and it's over without trying to do something drastic, which it definitely should not.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If it had ended after season 8, it would have been remembered as a perfect TV show.

If it had ended after season... 12-ish? It would have been remembered as one of the best comedies of all time that faltered in its final years (like The Office).

If it had ended after the movie, it wouldn't have completely overstayed its welcome and could have gone out with a spectacle (though I maintain that the movie is pretty bad... but the general public seems to think the movie is decent?)

Instead, we got... well, you know.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well he's smiling as he winks. The wink and pause are for, like, the audience is "expecting" him to say pounds, but when he says tons they can be like "Ohh, the statue". I always took it as Homer thinking the joke and delivery is more clever than it actually is. And then it backfires on him because someone freaks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So the next time you see a big book... shoot it!

...a British smile!

(I'm not sure what we're doing here)