Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

death by computer posted:

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVdLSPE7qo

gently caress that was terrible. i voted for gaga one but id vote for this being the worst in a heart beat.

Libelous Slander posted:

just for "fun" I looked into what episode had natalie portman..

that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PallasAthene posted:

Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

ehh. those work well and are great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7peg0gq-o

That's a clip from S18. It's nothing earth shattering, but the idea and UPS being A.S.S are pretty solid. The rest of the episode is homer making a rec room in a basement and kicking the kids out which is how they get into that situation. If all the later season episodes were like that one I'd call anyone complaining cranky old nerds. Like the people who hate on south park. A show can't be hitting it out of the park for decades. It will have to slide into some mediocrity groove at some point. Unfortunately, that's probably one of the best later episodes I've seen. Most new simpsons is not mediocrity just really, really bland. :(

ehh. its not the worst thing i have seen but its way to long and not that funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Lisa is the worst.

yeah, almost all episodes that focus on her suck. it also sucks that none of the new ones even make fun of her bullshit anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRt_JEoBRU

they did it in the old days. but now she is just the lovely rear end in a top hat liberal character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Izzhov posted:

I would kinda like to see Evil Morty come back tho. I wanna know what that dude's deal is

I kinda assumed he was ricks Original morty or some weird poo poo like that.

fish and chips and dip posted:

I remeber watching the Frank Grimes, Tamzarin and the Lord of the Flies episodes when they aired (in Norway so like a year later than the US I guess?) and enjoying them finding them funny. The first episode I watched which really made me think something wasn't right was the death of Maude, that was really strange and awkward at the time. I still kept at watching Simpsons though although not as regularly as before enjoying the odd modern episode (24 minutes,The Seemingly Never-Ending Story som others as well). The episode which really put the final nail in the coffin was the myPod episode, after that one I've stopped watching Simpsons and that was in 2008.

Edit: two years ago in 2015 two of the latest seasons at the time were put online for free on one of the Chinese streaming websites (legal streaming), my wife who is Chinese insisted on watching an episode and we watched the tree house of horror where they did the Clockwork Orange parody and it was just so loving painful to watch.

i liked the frank grimes episode, but i can understand why people hate it. it was definitely the beginning of the end of the Simpsons. like at one point the Simpsons despite being lovely people sorta, they were at least well meaning and loved each other. there was a heart to the show. now its just family guy where everyone is a mean rear end in a top hat with few redeeming qualities.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I feel like Rick shouldn't really be at the center of an episode. He's best when he's the setting, a force of nature that all the other characters have to deal with.

this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Were the Simpsons mean lovely assholes in that one, though? I'd say Homer was portrayed more as self-centered in an oblivious childlike way, with the added gag that they point out for the first time that he does pretty well for a guy that should be dead or in the gutter several times over from his stupidity.

yeah. your right, i stated it wrong. i was just saying it was the beginning of the mean spiritedness, even though thats one of my favorite episodes.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think the Frank Grimes episode carries a lot more weight as an adult because no matter what level of success you have achieved, there will always Homers doing better than you.

It is one of the earliest instances of jerkass homer but at least it was to make a point.

this. it was clever and funny. now he is just a retarded uncaring rear end in a top hat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Why is Ned Flanders punching people. :(

this. honestly the thing that pisses me off more then smoothbrain jerkass homer, is rear end in a top hat fundi conservative ned flanders. in the golden years, ned was the steriotype of the "Reagan" christian ideal american but he was also genuinely a nice person to a extreme fault. now they have just made him the mouth peace for lovely evangelical poo poo and he is a passive aggressive dick.

Wizard Master posted:

The Simpsons is about to being its 29th season. And guess what. You can look forward to a Game of Thrones parody, and Ed Sheeran plays a musician named Brendan whom Lisa falls for — and, yes, Brendan will do some singing.

The Treehouse of Horror episodes are usually heavier on screams of laughter than screams of fright, but executive producer Al Jean thinks the final segment in the XXVIIIth edition may change that. "We have what I think is the scariest segment we ever did," he says. "I don't want to say more." Please say more. "I’ll give you the title: 'Mmmmmmm, Homer.' We actually put a disclaimer on it again like we used to — a warning to the audience."
There's also a 3-D parody of Neil Gaiman's Coraline, titled "Coralisa," which features Neil Gaiman voicing the cat.

isnt it kinda late for a GOT parody. the show has one season left and is on its way out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

to me, the draw of golden era ned flanders was that he was so nice and caring that homer looked like a real piece of poo poo by hating him for seemingly no reason. they played off each other well

the jokes about macgyver and matlock didn't age as poorly as they could have because the joke wasn't the reference, it was the people who liked those shows (weird, perpetually single women and old people, respectively)

yeah. old flanders was just a nice guy who happend to fundie beliefs. now he is just a fundi.

also the old show/movie jokes have aged pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjqc1hqbRmA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Simpson family becomes helplessly stuck in traffic while returning from a ski vacation. To pass the time, Bart, Lisa and Maggie spend hours playing the repetitive and noisy game "Bonk-It", much to Marge and Homer's annoyance. Homer loses his patience and throws the toy out the window, where it is crushed by passing vehicles. By a twist of fate, another father throws his children's Bonk-It out of a car window, and it lands in the hands of the Simpson children. Eventually the batteries run out, but Bart plugs the toy into the car's cigarette lighter, causing it to play even faster. His patience long gone, Homer smashes the Bonk-It with his foot, but it becomes lodged under the brake pedal. He loses control of the vehicle, hits a deer reminiscent of Bambi and ends up on a frozen lake, where a mysterious person drags them out. When the family wakes up, they discover that the mysterious person who saved them was Cletus. Cletus tells Homer about moonshine, and invites him to taste the latest batch. Homer impresses Cletus and his hillbilly friends with his moonshine-tasting skills and is invited to be the judge of a moonshine competition.

Meanwhile, Bart and Cletus's sons play with a box of grenades that Cletus's wife Brandine, a former soldier, had brought back from Iraq, and Lisa plays hide and seek with Cletus's daughters. They do not find her, and Lisa gets lost in the woods. Trying to find her way back, she encounters three girls who are Wiccans, practicing their full moon Esbat. Lisa is initially skeptical of their ability to cast spells, but becomes interested after she happens to mention in the witches' Circle that she wishes she did not have to hand in her unfinished art project, and her wish comes true when Miss Hoover is taken ill with a stomach virus. The girls ask Lisa to join their coven and she accepts, but on the night of Lisa's induction, Chief Wiggum turns up after being tipped off by Ned Flanders and arrests the three girls on suspicion of witchcraft. Outside the courtroom, the girls say a chant, asking their goddess to 'show their persecutors that they are blind'. Many of the townspeople then suddenly become blind, and blame the three girls, who are then put on trial. When the judge dismisses the case, the townspeople decide to take the law into their own hands, and wish to drown the girls in an impromptu witch trial. Lisa, however, proves that the real culprits behind the town's temporary blindness are Homer and his friends, who threw their moonshine in to the town's reservoir after thinking that they were about to be arrested by the police. The girls are released, and Homer entertains himself by using the witch-dunking chair to binge drink the moonshine water, but falls off the chair into the river.

The episode ends with Lisa ice-skating on the frozen river to the song "Season of the Witch" while her skates carve a hole in the ice that frees Homer.

:psyboom:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

to me rick and Morty is very hit or miss. i find some of it genuinely inventive and funny with how it plays with sci fi poo poo but alot of it kinda falls into stupid long drawn out jokes with no pay off OR some weird drawn out "gently caress the audience and myself" harmon episdoe. i do think the newer episodes are better outside that a couple of them though. then again my humor style veers AQTH/smiling friends type poo poo to old clever Simpsons stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

It was better when the non Jerry family members had different personalities and weren't all just variations on Rick. Or when Rick didn't immediately undercut all tension, drama and humor by breaking the fourth wall to explain that the story they wrote is cliche or whatever.

yeah pretty much. weirdly enough i genuinely liked the evil morty(including the ending which alot of fans hated apperently) and rick-Morty based society stuff. the decoy one was solid too. again hit or miss.

someone said it in another thread that its very much the Monty python of millennials/zoomers. can be funny and genuinely clever but the fans are obnoxious and quote the least funny parts constantly and use it as substitute for humor.

honestly the funniest rick and morty was this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA&t

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 18, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

I love this style of humor but I do not know anybody else who does.

this guy's Adult Swim series was solid

e: Michael Cusack. I can never remember his loving name

i dont mind it. i like it when its well done, like the whole final to rick and Morty newest season is that but it clicks and works.

my issues were "lets make a Beth and jerry marriage is poo poo" episodes over and over which he seems to have gotten away from. that's less against him and more that i am tired of every relationship being a giant sinking ship in adult animation and every couple hates each other. i don't mind it when it works as a mutually destructive horror show but not every show is moral oral or helluva boss or etc which can pull them off by not making it just a one note joke that gets repeated ad nauseum until you just hate the characters. i mean they loving doing all the time on the simpsons now. like in the golden age they had those episodes but they made it more then just a "its time for this plot joke again".

also Cusack cocreated smiling friends which is also great.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 19, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, homer isnt peter griffin, he is kinda of boomer(i guess millennial now) shithead/oaf but he genuinely cares his wife and kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

je1 healthcare posted:

True, but the 80s began and ended with recessions and crime rates were 3x higher than in the 2000s. Wholesome family sitcoms remained dominant then because people sought TV as a form of escapism, to see what their real lives were missing.

But when the Simpsons debuted it was the first mainstream animated series to say even tame cuss words like "drat", Bart was an overnight rebel icon for kids and president Bush sr himself named the Simpsons as an example of decaying family values

That was just the start of the 90s, but by the end of the 90s there were even edgier cartoons taking off, the wholesome family sitcom was dead and replaced with Malcolm in the Middle. Dysfunctional TV families became the new standard and the Simpsons remained as a parody of a genre that no longer existed

yeah its interesting to see whats edgy and then it becomes normal. like south park and family guy are main stream and all kids of adult swim and indie animated poo poo would make the 80s conservatives legit stroke out from moral panic.

PostNouveau posted:

This is something else that was perceived as more profane back then because it was thought to imply oral sex "You suck (dick)". Not sure if that origin was ever really true or if it has been totally lost in the years since.

yeah, the implication was worse back then, now. what i find interesting is the GOP has been slinking back into the moral majority bullshit harder again, so lol if we see chuds ranting about cartoons again like the bad old days.