Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Alan_Shore posted:

The Rick and Morty opening is the best thing the show has done in like 10 years. And I'm guessing they weren't involved in that at all.

I have a feeling the Simpsons family were meant to be properly rendered as crushed to death, but Fox wouldn't allow it, hence why they just turned into yellow goop instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What was the episode where Groening demanded his name be taken off? It was because someone changed one of his jokes from an actual joke to a random non-sequiter. (I think)

Not that it was the lowest point, but it shows some kind of rift in the writing.

I remember not seeing the Simpsons in years, then they had an episode where some TV producers were the T-1000 and were yukking up the fact that they couldn't get killed. it was p.poo poo.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Really? I could have sworn it had something to do with a time machine.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just looked it up and I think maybe he removed his name from another episode as well. Never seen the one I'm talking about, mind you. Only read about it in another Simpsons thread on SA. It was a joke about science or a time machine or something and one of the script writers changed to joke to Marge just saying something random and dumb instead.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Tell you what, it's funny how they got away with certain things in the earlier shows. Like Lenard Nimoy "beaming up" because everything else was great. If they did that poo poo now it'd be awful... And not just because he's dead.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Don't even think they showed the Critic here in England at the time, but it was still a great episode.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Still never seen The Critic. Guess I should change that, huh?

Tell a lie, I saw the Orson Wells peas bit. That was p.good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember watching the episode where they go to the restraunt which is a de-railed train and there's a dude in a costume to make it look like he has no head.

Being a dumb kid I didn't click that it was a costume. I remember thinking that it was a really stupid thing to have in The Simpsons. Everything else was (relatively) realistic and all of a sudden there's a dude who survived getting his head cut off AND he could talk? Get your poo poo together, Simpsons.

Now we have Elves, T-1000 people and Homer is litterally immortal. loving hell. A headless conductor would be tame in comparison.

Remember that episode where Mr. Burns went mad and made the "Spruce Moose"(?) that tiny model plane and tried to force Smithers into it? If they did that these days they probably would shrink down and fly it around.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"WE WANT CHILLY WILLY"

Was a good cameo.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Watched Bart Gets an F last night for the first time since it aired and even if it's not a prime Simpsons episode it was great to see a kid acting like a kid whilst there were also still jokes and funny cutaways in the form of his imaginings. Then there's funny character moments like Homer sobbing at the end of a giant monkey film and Otto bragging that he failed school and now drives the bus.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Homer thinking about a sandwich in a car when you think he's thinking about fukkin and sukkin is funnier that Peter randomly talking about Paul Weller going paintballing because one is a joke with a setup and punchline and one is a gag that you'd get on a sketch show.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember liking the Simpsons platformer. The one where you end up fighting Matt Groening and he summons Bender and Zoidberg to fight for him. It was more a piss-take of gaming in general really.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How did the Venture Bros go up its own rear end?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

porking a pork bun posted:

The show definitely became more self-referential as it's gone on, but personally I think it's all the better for it. The creators spent the first half of the show meticulously creating this crazy world with a shitload of lore and interesting characters, and by about half-way through the show's run they'd done enough world-building and table-setting that they could finally let loose and just have a load of fun in the universe they'd created.

Been re-watching the entire run again, backwards, for whatever reason and I don't half miss Vatred, Billy and Pete who are pretty much main characters now. Also fatstrong 21.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It makes you wonder if the writers are being told to make it as poo poo as possible.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Grandpa should die.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The Clerks cartoon did a good clips show.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cosmik Slop posted:

She came to her senses before doing the deed, and showed up to the nuclear power plant where she and Homer reenacted "An Officer and a Gentleman".

Is that where he proudly exclaims he'll be in the back seat of his car and won't be back for five minutes? That cracked me up when I watched it and then me Ma and Da started ribbing me for "getting" a sex joke.

Then there was the episode where Home was maybe going to have an affair and he started making jokes about calling a "Hotline" and it made us all uncomfortable because it was the worlds worst kept secret that every teenage lad would furiously jack it to that show on Channel 5 which, in its infancy, was basically just a channel for softcore skinflicks.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was a 2011 Treehouse of Horror segment, except worse.

And we have Poe's Law in effect again because gently caress knows if this is real or not.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
On the front of the newspaper today (Star, i think?) it was saying something about there being an outcry over Apu being racist or something? God knows I'm not touching a tabloid, but does anyone know what that's all about?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Creamed Cormp posted:

"subtle political satire"

Hahaha. I haven't watched any of the aul Simpsons since they aired. I'll have to watch them as a man-child adult for these gags I missed.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not enough fukkin' an' sukkin'.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've taken to watching entire runs of TV shows of late. Like, 2, 3 episodes a night after work as I eat tea and do some chores before my 2nd job. I did South Park and then American Dad and when you watch them all one after another it becomes really obvious when they start slipping. Even if at the time they didn't seem that bad, what with waiting weeks between shows and then a year between seasons.

Point being I'll probably do the Simpsons next.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Milo and POTUS posted:

AD never got as bad as South Park and Simpsons. It's still pretty funny

Oh God, yeah, American Dad is still decent. But there was still a slip somewhere around season 9 where it started getting goofier than usual.

Scudworth posted:

If I watched the first season of American Dad and found it never funny, is there a better season to try out?

Season 1 is almost an alien show(pun intended?) compared to season 2 onwards. It felt like they really didn't know what to do with the premise for a while.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oddly enough, season wise (though not episode count wise) South Park got bad right about the same time Simpsons did. That Return of Chef episode was bad bad bad and I think that was like the start of 10.

And like The Simpsons its when every episode was about *insert celebrity*. Like, before that they'd have parodies or piss-takes and they'd have to be a bit witty or clever about it. But then it's just Steve Jobs turning up and Maroon 5 or whatever.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cheapsteaks posted:

Remember when FG showed like, a glitch or cheat from Tecmo Bowl, but they just took a random video from Youtube without crediting it and inserted it into the show? I think when Seth or someone was called out on it they just ignored it.

Didn't the goon who made that aul "Peanutbutter Jelly" video have a back and forth with the Family Guy people as well? I think they sent him a t-shirt or something dumb.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

dracky posted:

dead cats episode

Yet if this was an American Dad plot with Steve losing more and more cat in zany ways it'd probably be great.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I still can't get over the fact anyone could look at the poo poo they write, nod their head and go, "yes, this is what I want the world to see." I guess I'm not getting paid thousands of dollars for doing gently caress all though.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If they did that T2 gag these days it'd end with Homer sitting there, after falling from Ned's car and out of nowhere Robert Patrick would show up and go, "Hey, I'm Robert Patrick. Your form is lacking. Let me show you how its really done!" Then he'd chase down a random car and grow metal hook arms and as he's climbing up the back of the car he'd shout something about the X-Files.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ned is a senior citizen with nearly 30 years on Homer, but he appears much younger thanks to a clean, Christian lifestyle.

This is canon.

Wasn't that pre-zombification? Not saying it makes it any better, but if it was done NOW it'd turn out that Ned was pushing 100 or something ridiculous.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
A horse gets hosed up to Death Grips which was pretty dope.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I started thinking about that episode where Burns buys them a giant Xipe Totec(?) head and had a good chortle, even though it was absurd.

Absurd and daft can be cool and funny.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mammon Loves You posted:

Homer and Marge join an Uber like startup called CarGo

That's something approaching a joke. These writers are getting sloppy.

Ahhh, that's the sweet stuff.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Simpsons from 1990.
"what the hell this isn't even remotely risque"

In 1991 I can't think of a single boy in our school who wasn't watching "Bottom". The Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson living cartoon about two wankers who fight and fart and talk about hard-ons for half an hour every week. Yeah, it was on after the watershed, but we'd all watch it anyway.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Also here in England every tabloid newspaper had chicks on the front in bikinis throughout the 80s/90s and on page 3 someone would have their jugs out. We're an island of perverts.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I recall the commentary for SPACED saying one of the biggest laughs when they first screened it was showing how cheap the lovely little flat they live in cost to rent. Fair play to them for even trying to justify how a comic nerd and a "writer" could afford it, like.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Al Jean - "The evidence is in the bottom corner."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I echo the sentiment that if they're letting random Twitter accounts write episodes they should draft Wint and Da Share Z0ne to take the reigns.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Have Okilly Dokilly changed up their act any? I remember when they first showed up none of their songs actually had anything to do with The Simpsons of Flanders and I think they were just their old bands song... but they were dressed like Ned.

If you're going to have a gimmick then go whole hog like Arnocorps and dress like Arnie, make every song about Arnie and try and sound like Arnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sure Groening took his name of a Futurama episode too because the staff re-wrote one of his jokes. I forget the details, but he'd written something as an actual scientific joke, which nobody in the writing room got. So they made Leela(or whoever) make a pun about it instead which got big laughs and Groening threw a fit.