Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

This is made even funnier when watched in the context of how relatively straight the show had been until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm not a huge Simpons fan. I watched it on TV as a child, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I've seen all the good seasons.
Hearing these plot synopses(like the few above) just make me feel like I'm catching up on an old friend who is into some really nasty stuff now.
Like just awkward and sad,.

It's worth tracking down and watching seasons 3 through 7. The quality is very high and very consistent. 8 is worth a watch though it was starting to show wear. You'll actually appreciate it more as an adult than you would as a child, there are a lot of political and historical and a few sexual jokes that you wouldn't get as a child.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PallasAthene posted:

Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

They had to change Jose Canseco's bit so that the reason he wasn't at the game was because he was being a hero not because he was chained to the bed after a one night stand with Krabapple.

Aside from that though yeah this was a really good use of celebrities and I'd probably put the episode in my top five.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Aesop Poprock posted:

but me and my friend had drank and smoked a bunch in the parking lot before hand.

Classy

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Scudworth posted:

Are you Indian? Indian people have been saying Apu is some racist poo poo for the entire run of the show.
They get to decide, not you. Non Indian opinion on the only recurring Indian character on TV for decades does not matter. How can you possibly think otherwise?

If you can't understand why a white actor doing an accent everyone involved knew was offensive, it's still offensive no matter what you think.

i read this how i imagine a frumpy matron telling someone off for blasphemy would've sounded a hundred years ago and it all fits together

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Bart Simpson, a boy, being voiced by a woman is very hosed up. No one can understand the pain it causes.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Riptor posted:

a pretty valid criticism / suggestion for improvement that kondabolu made was that Apu doesn't actually own the kwik-e-mart, and that by now he probably should

smithers was originally black for an episode and they realized that maybe having a sycophantic black man to a rich white man wasn't a great look so they made him white. which, the fact that they were aware enough of race dynamics to rectify that but still make the kwik-e-mart guy Indian says something about their blind spots with regard to south asian representations

no, they coloured him wrong early due to a mistake in production, it wasn't intentional: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-yellow.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

now who's being naive?