Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

forward pass posted:

The season after the Who Shot Mr. Burns? cliffhanger was when I tuned out. Every episode seemed to revolve around an unfunny celebrity guest and I just didn't care anymore. Phil Hartman dying didn't help, either.

This. Armin Tamzarian and any Lisa episodes are bad, sure. But celebrity guests appearing as themselves are what turned the Simpsons into irredeemable garbage. Mel Gibson was the first I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Groovelord Neato posted:

the mel gibson episode was very funny tho.

Compared to the Lady Gaga one I guess. There were probably a few decent writers still on staff, the Mel Gibson episode just always stood out to me as the glaring example of when the focus of the show shifted.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah it's very funny. not just in comparison to gaga.

I'm not just comparing it to gaga, I'm also comparing it to the episode with Hank Scorpio. And Mel Gibson is no Hank Scorpio.

I might be extra hard on it, but I distinctly remember feeling after I watched it that the family had changed from the Simpsons into The Simpsons™

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I want to change my vote to the lady and the tramp bit. That is the worst.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People who say they are Simpsons fans but actually hate 40-80% of their "favorite show" and are constantly spouting off about the fact are garbage, and it shouldn't be socially acceptable.

If I was constantly talking about how I loved burgers but really what I love is just eating a single bite of the bun and then throwing the rest out somebody would call me out on it eventually but nope none of that for "Simpsons fans".

have you not clicked on any of the links in this thread? also talking about the simpsons isn't socially acceptable thats why were doing it here

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Ork of Fiction posted:

The funniest thing that the Simpsons have ever done is produce nearly two decades of absolute poo poo without losing the majority of their audience.

To be fair I think all tv as a whole has had a similar decline.

E: from here: http://toddwschneider.com/posts/the-simpsons-by-the-data/ which has a lot of other neat graphs and poo poo like this algorithmically derived list of the most important phrases in each episode: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XETUC97k1AvVPwqGnPuSPnWVtMrk2YhO8aHbo53RcoU/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Dogmeat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 7, 2017

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah, as of ~2010 you need streaming #s to get a real picture of what's going on. So if, 1:10 of Hulu's 12 mil subscribers watches the Simpsons, that's still significant.

He mentions in the article the streaming data was pointing to the older episodes getting more play.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I think it came on after the Super Bowl that year.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Which episode was that? I don't remember that plotline.

Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles

They go to a spa and all fall in some mud that turns them into teenagers I think? Leela is happy to spend some time with her parents as a teen, but the rest of the cast tries to fix the issue, but it fails and they become even younger. Leela babysits them. The professor has a dumb gargoyle that saves them all at the end when they get stuck in the fountain of aging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

WeaponX posted:

I hate to do this to you guys but I’ve seen it and now you all have to. It’s very real

https://youtu.be/Dfob4stBbo0