Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Benny Harvey posted:

The one where Homer gets paid by famous sports stars to choreograph their victory dances. It starts off with Homer doing this awful Dad-dancing which is cringe worthy in a way it doesn't even mean to be cringeworthy.

Wasn't that like, season 1 or 2?

For me I think it was the one where Lisa goes to school in disguise as a boy for whatever reason, and to pass the boys' initiation she has to punch Ralph who starts crying and runs away. That bugged me. It was completely out of character for everyone and the wrong kind of mean spirited that I came to expect from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like those clowns in congress did it again! What a bunch of clowns!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

TheIllestVillain posted:

can't talk about early Skinner without posting his most iconic scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ3keVaQZog

I never noticed this before (I recently rewatched a lot of this show it's still fresh in my mind) but at the 27 second mark when Bart runs down the hill, this is just a reused animation from the Kamp Krusty episode where the kids are running away from a rolling boulder, but with only Bart and the image is backwards.

edit: I just noticed someone pointed this out in the video comments but I totally had that realization on my own

Junk fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I hate to defend new Simpsons, but Marge always did have a problem with behavioral addiction, so it's at least kinda believable she'd get hooked on an MMORPG

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Cobweb Heart posted:

Danny Devito/Homer's brother apparently hated his time on the Simpsons for some reason

I can't find anything about this, do you have a link or know why he didn't enjoy it?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Every so often at inappropriate times I remember this and I start laughing out loud and can't make myself stop

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Cobweb Heart posted:

drat, that is funny and I don't even remember that one!

Other characters they DIDN'T gently caress up: Lester and Eliza have never been seen again, except beforehand as generic kid designs.

It was in that scene that Baby Gerald got his name.

Also Lester and Eliza are based on how Bart and Lisa used to be drawn in the earlier Tracey Ullman shorts.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

Eat up Martha.

Murphy, you are a elf... uncontrollably, I think.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't Prince or someone else turn down an appearance because he wrote his own script based around his appearance and the Simpsons people weren't having any of it?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress the haters, Drawn Together was funny

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I'll concede that season 1 wasn't great, but any episode after S1 that centers around Captain Hero is great

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Drawn Together is the third-worst cartoon I've ever seen, after Tom Goes To The Mayor

hey

gently caress you

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Streak posted:

How can any of you idiots talk poo poo about drawn together holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZmlrYJ3vc

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I wonder if it has the same writer as the episode with the giant women.

cabbagepots confirmed ex futurama writing staff

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Venture Bros was good until it eventually climbed entirely inside of its own anus

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

A slightly less early draft of rick and morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

insufficient guns posted:

Rick and Morty is pretty good but really not amazing and I don't see how it's got such a huge devoted following.

This, however, is hot garbage. And the characters pointing out how garbage it is doesn't make it any less garbage.

I would rather watch a million Foamy the Squirrel videos than see that ever again.

Troppa-loppa-doo, troppa-loppa-dee

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Houle posted:

La Miserable

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Scudworth posted:

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.

i'm not going to watch read or listen to any of those things, can you just give us the rundown?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

You should, Harmontown (both the doc and podcast) is amazing and funny and honest and just a good time you know?

but that other guy said it was "utterly depressing" so one of you is lying

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

ok anyway I just remembered anotehr low point of the simpsons that caused my younger self to clue in "yeah this is becoming poo poo"

The one where grandpa got a girlfriend who was just using him to drive her around places. He crashes his car and she leaves him for someone else, then it ends with him and Bart going to Branson to tell her off

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They brought him back for one okay but less funny episode (the one where he hypnotizes Bart to be an assassin), and that was like an okay but unneeded coda that then REALLY should have been his final episode, especially since it ended with him supposedly being executed by guillotine.

This episode... dear lord. The guillotine ending was a huge turning point towards the mean-spirited era of Simpsons. Also this episode had Mr Teeny doing a strip dance and Krusty announced it as "The Full Monkey." who the gently caress thought that would be the slightest bit funny

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Simpsons used to have its own style of wryly naming businesses. Remember Wall-E-Weasel, Stern Lecture Plumbing, The Crematorium, Lil' Bastard, King Toot's, the Frying Dutchman, and— oh yeah—Itchy and Scratchy and Duff Beer?

Wee Monsieur was pretty good too

Painless Dentistry (Formerly "Painful Dentistry")

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

the john k couch gag sequence was so awful

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

54 40 or gently caress posted:

There was a very touching redemption for Marge in the episode you mentioned where she sees people taking advantage of Lisa's niceness, does a screaming u-turn and gives her a heart to heart where she tells her it's okay to be sad and that when she'll do the smiling for both of them when it happens. It was really very sweet

The sweet part was how that talk made Lisa smile sincerely.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I just remembered that stupid episode where Bart has to go back to 3rd grade and Lisa gets skipped ahead to 3rd grade, and they wind up on a field trip to the governor's office and bart changed the design for their state flag to be about farting and the governor started wailing out loud, but I geuss they didn't record enough of Tress MacNeille doing the scream beacuse they repeated the same scream clip quite noticeably a few times in a row and it was super obvious and hokey.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

This was always my favorite Marge moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2eud_tEIj8

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

There was also that episode where Bart had a crush on the babysitter from next door. I only really remember him being anti-girl when Milhouse got a girlfriend.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Jose posted:

he says won't and i have always thought that

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

"He's right!"

"Give us hell, Quimby!"

I miss the normal crowd extras.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

So, are we pretty much in agreement that at this point Family Guy is better than The Simpsons?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Modern Simpsons, yes, but nothing touches the good seasons of the Simpsons.

yeah this is what I meant

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Smirr posted:

Tbf I wouldn't really let a 6-year-old watch the Simpsons either, certainly not the first season. Or rather, I wouldn't expect the kid to want to watch it in the first place. In my specific case it was also that Bart the General deals with war in a very existentialist fashion, and Germans have some hang-ups about war for some reason.

"We were just following orders!"

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Accents aren't racist. They have more to do with where you're from than what color your skin is.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

The best laughter comes from good, clean, inoffensive fun.

So this medical caregiver of indeterminate gender - because nurses can be male or female - says to his or her disabled, or should I say differently-abled patient, "why do you have a penguin on your head? They're endangered!"

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Riptor posted:

grandpa not in public okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6m6Aw9rfg :ssh:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Several years ago some white friends of mine who are a married couple dressed up as Muslims for halloween. Husband had this huge beard which helped complete the look. They got all the clothes on loan from their Muslim friends who were totally down with the idea and only stipulated that they not drink liquor while wearing the clothes. Everywhere downtown that they went, Muslims that they met were enthusiastic and delighted at their costumes and took pictures with them. The only people who gave them a hard time about it were white people.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

It's from real life, give it a shot sometime.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Razorwired posted:

You forgot to add the part where all the Muslims stood up and clapped after your friend dressed down the woke hipster straw man for being the TRUE racist.

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I want to say that they only started doing episodes like that around the season 9 mark, but there was the early episode that starts out being about Homer getting the trampoline and then it suddenly turns into the Do What You Feel Festival plot.