Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Homer and the kids deal with Marge's death. Episode is dedicated to the memory of Julie Kavner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Treehouse of Horror was disappointing. If you're gonna do a Coraline tribute, the CGI needs to be a lot better than it was. The segment where Homer starts eating himself was pretttttttty hosed up though.

Agreed 10000%. I could barely fuckin watch homer eating himself. What the hell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

How do they do a sequel? Do they have like a "previously on The Simpsons" start?

Last Sunday's wasn't a direct sequel, just a short intro at Moe's where they reform the Pin Pals sans Apu and get into the plot about Moe that was so unmemorable that I can't even describe it.

I'm curious about the Kamp Krusty sequel and if they showed clips from the original episode or something though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching seasons 13 & 14 just to see where the long fall really starts becoming obvious and I have no life to speak of.

I started watching "Large Marge" and the episode wasn't honestly too bad. I kept wondering about the title of the episode until of course I reached the scene where Marge is accidentally given breast implants. The remaining fifteen minutes of the episode are completely filled with boob jokes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

The worst part of sampsins is when Brat dead and he mom sad.
Even litle Magpie cry.
very low for pouplar children cartoon show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NT2ZiPIukw

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

To be fair, kids these days probably don't know what an antenna is

Do you think they closed down all of the schools for ANTS??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I pray for death

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've always thought The Simpsons Movie was trash. The people I went to see it with really enjoyed it, but I thought it was no better than the show at the time. Some people dig it I guess, and I don't think dumb stuff like Spider-Pig was to blame. it just seemed so banal and was just more low effort poo poo like usual.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Painfully unfunny, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely inside your posts

:drat:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

also lmfao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Several of my friends including the woman I'm seeing right now all had parents that wouldn't allow them to watch The Simpsons lol.. It's really sad actually because they see all the memes and .. nothing registers. saddest thing i'd ever saw...

My folks were a lot more lenient. aka my dad taped the original Hanky the Christmas Poo episode of South Park -- I was confused when he excitedly told me about it and didn't know what he was talking about until we watched it we laughed until we cried. good memory.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

don't be tempted to torrent them, fox still hunts down people who do! SWIM did this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American Dad still reigns supreme in the "dipshit dad" genre

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They should drop the talking fish entirely.

nope

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

lmfao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's lazy as gently caress

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow, that's a good one. starts off just simply boring and terrible and ramps up to positively awful once homer gets in the windmill.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So I was thinking... if the simpsons were cancelled in like... 2000 or earlier, would we see people clamoring for a revival now? Is no parallel universe safe from the simpsons continuing to air?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Community (yes yes I know)

yep, it's a great show

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why the gently caress do studios do this now. It reminds me of the early dvd era with lovely “fullscreen” ones everywhere.

exact same reason "FILL THE SCREEENN"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Who-all remembers those weird cranks who tried for years to petition the TV industry and Hollywood to ban letterboxing (which they called "letterschlocking") and widescreen-formatted movies because they considered it a form of censorship

They would come into Usenet groups and rabble-rouse and get into arguments that I think they thrived on. Twenty years later and I still don't know whether it was a genuine mental illness at work or someone doing "jokes on them I was only pretending" for like years on end

E: Either way I'm still thinking about this long after he probably died, so I guess he wins

vaguely, but I'm pretty sure if this happened today, whoever was leading them would be elected president of the united states

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching some choice episodes from season 14 and they're real bad lol.

In one ep they even showed a sorta, almost funny-ish visual gag of a exterminator's name painted on the side of a van: "A Bug's Death" complete with a Pixar-like logo. Not great, but then a few minutes later Homer mentions that he only picks exterminator names based on how funny they are.

The writers probably even thought they were clever by crawling up their own rear end and being aware of it. Hilarious

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

snack eater posted:

no, they still expect people to sign up for their exclusive service

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I bet they'd recast. the spice must flow

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ive watched seasons 13 and 14 in their entirety as a cruel experiement when I had some free time and there's nothing there but darkness and despair. i wouldn't bother.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

please kill me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emgeejay posted:

more like Pokémon Annoyed Grunt

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Why is everyone reacting to that clip so strongly? It's probably the first one posted in ages that is actually a decentish joke, if overdeveloped

Because it's loving awful. You're dead wrong, bucko

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed at a single joke in Futurama... Wait no, I chuckled at Zapp’s “send the dominoes crashing down like a house of cards” line. So once I guess.

Checkmate.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfU69_up02Y

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol how dumb is al jean

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Can I just say that I find the trajectory of the Simpsons absolutely fascinating? And no, I'm not talking about how it got worse over time. Yes, it's unfortunate, and even tragic, but also, not surprising at all. This is a problem that nearly every long running T.V. show in existence faced. It happened to Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Suits, Weeds, Oz, Hercules/Xena, the list goes on and on. This phenomenon is not special or unique at all. However, looking at how the Simpsons started, and then seeing what it became, is a helluva lot more of an interesting story.

Go back to season one, and tell me you're not stunned at what kind of a show The Simpsons used to be. This may piss off a lot of people, but I thought it was an ugly, unfunny mess. The animation was absolutely wretched in pretty much every way you can imagine. Even as a 5 year old who would eat up pretty much anything that resembled a cartoon, I remember thinking it looked like poo poo. And then there was the writing. There were "jokes" in there sure, but it can't even really be considered a comedy show. It was more like an animated version of something like Seventh Heaven, being overly mawkish and sentimental. I legitimately don't know who this was supposed to be targeted to. It was too boring for kids, but also too childish (looking) for adults.

The second season was a noticeable improvement, but it was still very rough. I don't think the show found its voice until season 3. I find it staggering that we go from something Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire to Homer the Vigilante and Cape Feare. We go from some of the most wretched content ever put to paper, to some of the greatest, wittiest television to ever exist.

seasons 1 and 2 are really good you fuckin doofus

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flannelette posted:

This transition is from the 2nd season

Try finding something like that in the new animation style episodes.

this is really cool and im going to reiterate that seasons one and two of simpsons are Really Fuckin' Good and it's not like star trek tng where the first couple seasons sucked rear end or something

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've lived too long

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I watched "$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)" last night and i still claim that this is a top five simpsons quote of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaXsQpSJ0Ik

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you took only the gold from 9-11

wow, just wow.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Who hasn't thought of robbing the Kwik-E-Mart, or bank, or whatever at some point?

Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?

I doooooooooooooooo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i like whne funny man sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i forgot to mention when i watched $pringfield, there was a parody of sigfried and roy and they were mauled by lions. eerily accurate prediction or just a matter of time?