Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was so very very very much wacky stuff, weird writing, lazyness, cutaways, pointless celebrity appearances, and "Family Guy bullshit" in the early seasons. You have nostalgia for it because you were younger back then.

Mid-way through season 9 my friends and I had a long discussion about how the show's writing had suddenly changed and become noticeably lovely compared to the previous season and those before it. We were 17. "Nostalgia" was not a concept yet, in fact that's an age when you actively shun crap from your childhood. Even children watching the show at the time knew it had changed when the better staff left to start Futurama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

If I was constantly talking about how I loved burgers but really what I love is just eating a single bite of the bun and then throwing the rest out somebody would call me out on it eventually but nope none of that for "Simpsons fans".

This is more like saying you're a huge fan of a band that's existed long past their heyday, and it's perfectly acceptable.

It's universally understood that if someone says they're a huge Misfits fan, they're talking about things prior to 1984. Same thing with something like Guns n Roses or Black Sabbath. If they like modern versions of these things they'll even clarify that they like it, because certain things being good have a known time period.

If someone is a huge Simpsons fan most people understand they mean the seasons prior to 10-ish.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Also I just watched that Lena Dunham clip and ugh. Simpsons celebrity versions don't usually look very much like whoever it's supposed to be, but drat, that's a new low. It looks more like how'd they'd draw a hipster asian woman.

That's not supposed to be a drawing of her, she was voicing a character.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Homeroom Fingering posted:

Why are these threads always the lowest point of the Simpsons, why not the highest point? At least we could get a laugh out of clips instead of stabbing head pain from the 5 botched abortions linked in the OP.

Because there's already a thread for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573863

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

super sweet best pal posted:

I think the episode where Rodney Dangerfield played Mr Burns' estranged son and his character got written out at the end was a worse episode than Principal and the Pauper. It had a similar "screw you, we're pretending this never happened" ending and It wasn't even a good use of a talented guest star.

The guy who wrote that episode is responsible for some of the worst poo poo eps that occurred while I was still watching it, including the NYC one, the tomacco one, the garbage man one, and the one where Maude dies. And the Marge getting implants one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Maxtone-Graham#Writing_credits

Other writing credits include the infamous SNL "canteen boy" sketch that's either a joke about gay people or child molestation being funny, depending on how you look at it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dLlzUE2JY

Now I wonder if this was based on Norm McDonald not putting up with that poo poo.

Maxtone-Graham is in the commentary for that episode :stare:

Knowing he's been punched in the face by an actual funny person makes me very happy.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Lowtax posted:

Glove slap was the beginning of the end.

I forgot this was the first half of the tomacco episode, so it's garbage from start to finish :(

get that OUT of my face posted:

it signaled the true beginning of the end of The Simpsons. the episode where the kids were abandoned on the island,

The messed up thing about that episode is that as soon as the kids get to the island it's not a parody or a satire or a "send-up" of Lord of the Flies, it's just straight-up Lord of the Flies, which has no comedy potential to begin with. Zero. I can't imagine how confusing this episode is for people who haven't read it, not that it makes any sense if you have. It's some boring weird poo poo to take up more than half a cartoon show with.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Wizard Master posted:

This aired 15 years ago too. Think about how much unmitigated poo poo has happened in The Simpsons since then

Due to this thread I talked to some friends who still watch it out of habit and asked them how many times Homer has been raped and they could only remember two episodes, but in having to think back and remember/debate that they seemed to actually consider what they've been passively watching all these years.

I think Mr. Plow is the best episode and I'm going to watch it right now to forget all this.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot that Splitsider made a list of things that happened in newer Simpsons eps for people who stopped watching it (from 2013):

http://splitsider.com/2013/10/18-things-youd-be-surprised-happened-on-the-simpsons-if-you-stopped-watching-in-2003/

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Quote-Unquote posted:

Reminder that there was an entire episode explaining the backstory of Moe's dirty bar rag.

Jeremy Irons was the voice of the rag.

Oh, you think I'm making this up.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Son of Rodney posted:

Can anybody actually point me toward an actual good episode from the last ten years?

Someone whose opinion I usually trust told me that s17 e19 "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" where Lisa pretends to be a boy is good, I have not watched it yet.
Note that this episode is from 2006.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think aging the characters would have helped. The fact is that it's incredibly rare for a tv show to go on for over a decade at all, much less go that long and not turn to poo poo. Unfortunately the nature of TV and the rarity of a show being profitable for that long will cause things to drag on and on long after they should have just stopped making them and retained dignity.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly in an earlier draft of the script it was Hank Scorpio as the head of the EPA and President Wolfcastle but they got an insane mandate to not have any references to jokes from the show's past.

:psyduck:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And the best thing is it's not even an original song, it's a cover

Okay there's been a lot of crazy poo poo revealed in this thread but this right here is beyond reason.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
The thing these clips are really highlighting is brevity being lost. The monk guards joke would have been perfectly funny as a throwback (and not a drawn out knock off) if he did the same poo poo then the monk delivers a single spin kick from the same camera pov. Instead of a whole fight scene. Plus removing Marge explaining the joke we're about to see, wtf.

Basically same poo poo with the box fort, cut it in half. Kids talk to Flanders, bart says "hmmmm", next shot they're both on top of the castle and the delivery army appears.

poo poo is drawn out and over explained.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pawn 17 posted:

Is it possible that The Simpsons has never been funny and the "golden years" were only good because we were kids when we watched them? :monocle:

This keeps getting brought up like a new idea every few pages and the answer is no, based on people watching it at the time knowing something changed, and showing old seasons to adults who had never seen them in childhood. It's not the same show.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I really think it's a combination of running out of fresh ideas for the same group of characters after decades, and trying to follow family guy wacky humor trends. If my quick googling is correct the simpsons is literally the longest lasting show on TV other than news programs. The well is freakin' dried up, I think.

Longer running shows (not counting news/reality/performance/talk shows/soap operas) currently are Sesame Street and SNL, not really comparable anyway.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Wizard of Poz posted:

seriously has anyone ever called seth macfarlane to task on this, like in an interview or something? i really want to know if he at least recognises how loving poo poo it was - not in a "funny because its not funny" way, just literally a complete waste of time.

Yes, and he gave a detailed reply, but the video of the interview is gone now.

Basically there are two elements to the gag. One is that this primetime expensive airtime that advertisers are paying for is being used in this ridiculous way especially with (in Seth MacFarlane's opinion) such an uncharismatic performer as Conway Twitty. The other element is that a joke like this (also the hurt knee, chicken fight, Bird is the Word) is that it follows a formula of really funny-horrible-hilarious. First the audience laughs,then they don't, then they hate it, then they once again think it's fun and even funnier than at first. It has to be followed through with completely.

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/2403/why-has-conway-twitty-appeared-as-a-distraction-in-family-guy

(second answer)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_DtkbHfTcM

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: anyone have a YouTube compilation of his old Nam flashbacks?

This was posted a few pages back

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Good for them, sort of. Pretty embarrassing that "guy gay, get it?" would still be a joke in 2017.

Did this become more and more of the punchline in later seasons? I fear it must be, since in the early seasons the joke wasn't that he was gay, but that he was madly in love with his disgusting conservative boss and had to hide that.

I'm gonna watch a Smithers = Gay youtube montage to confirm this....

Thin Privilege posted:

*Smithers injects himself with something* "I love boobies!"

Wow I thought you were exaggerating. This is awful.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Okay so you also agree that the first bunch of seasons were better so your point is what now?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't get it. Is Bort a common name in America?

Perfect

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Dylan McKay posted:

das bus is all right, quit bad mouthing das bus

Das Bus is a lovely retelling of Lord of the Flies using Simpson children, a book with almost no comedy to being with.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Aesop Poprock posted:

Where is the humor in making a comedy episode about something that was already a comedy?

It also has no comedy potential, at least not in the hands of the s9 writers, as shown by the episode itself.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Cobweb Heart posted:

Das Bus has some good bits. "Go banana", "tastes like burning", and Otto's pitiful rescue attempt were already posted. When I was a kid, and wasn't all grown-up and sick of non-endings yet, I thought the "oh, let's say...... Moe" bit was hilarious. "One thing they export is corn... or as the Indians call it, maize" was funny.

"I can't go on, you two go ahead... and carry me with you!" was also funny. ....Not funny enough for me to remember them without looking it up, though.

Yeah and all but 2 of those things are outside the Lord of the Flies plot.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait how the gently caress did this happen and why? Why were the Simspons promoting Rick and Morty? And how have I never seen this before? :psyduck:

They have guest animators doing the couch gags sometimes, like the 80's cop intro linked ITT previously.
This one happened because the creators of both shows discovered they were huge fans of each other when the Rick & Morty guys asked Matt G if they would do commentary on one of the Rick & Morty DVDs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/simpsons-couch-gag-rick-morty-793924

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a YouTube playlist of 15 guest couch gags -- https://goo.gl/N5I0M0

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

How do you have access to YouTube and not Google?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Alan_Shore posted:

has the best audio commentaries of all time.

One episode has someone telling the story of his first lovely apartment which he was sharing with a guy who was constantly trying to get him in bed (but he was completely oblivious to these attempts and all the obvious flirting until years later) and who also thought the place was haunted, and John DiMaggio imagines this as a sitcom called "gay guy and the ghost" and starts doing all the voices involved. I remember this commentary more than whatever episode it was for.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

GoutPatrol posted:

But it was funny

It also makes me sad alot of these woody allen/seinfeld jewish character cliches are now mostly dead due to the slow passage of time

These were always so wildly bizarre to me I'm glad they're mostly gone.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Das Boo posted:

I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

get that OUT of my face posted:

i thought Rick was a character created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, where they just made Doc Brown from Back to the Future a drunk rear end in a top hat. shame

Yes, it's also that.

Junk posted:

but that other guy said it was "utterly depressing" so one of you is lying

It is utterly depressing, and funny, and honest. Many comedians are broken functional alcoholics who hate themselves, it's a cliche by now, he's just better at writing TV shows than the rest of them. And even then he's still been fired over and over again (and divorced after less than a year) for his drunken destructive rage. And he's the first one to admit this.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 5, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

end up back at home because we're so hosed up, unable to relate to regular people, yet have to be around others.
So we drink. Drink to get riggity riggity recked, and scream wubba lubba Dubb dubbs. And we all know what that means.

Here's that Harmontown rundown you wanted, Junk

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come all the shows are animated in korea. is it just they're cheap assholes.

Yep.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

Basically LOL cable TV is going to die as soon as boomers can't afford it.

I only know 3 couples my age (mid 30) that still have cable tv, one is just for sports but the other 2... I don't know. It disturbs me.

I wonder what the tv network plans are for when all the boomers die? Will they all just try to start their own lovely streaming service like Cbs All Access, eventually fail, and just become content producers that supply shows to Netflix? That would be nice.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LanceHunter posted:

Rumor is, the writers' room for The Simpsons is basically a jobs program for recent Harvard grads trying to break into TV writing. Like, to the point where being a Harvard alum counts much more highly in your favor than the actual quality of your work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QbcnJHKK8

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Backweb posted:

I haven't watched The Simpsons since 2007 but I'm guessing Bart and/or Lisa started hanging out with a bunch of one-off episode throwaway friends who are "millennials" that we'll never see again (how close am I?).

You've got some weird timing issues here, in that born in 1979 doesn't make Bart "firmly" in Gen X, the only firmly defined generation are boomers, the rest are just hazy marketing terms. I am the same age that real-time Bart would be by now and the Gen X culture leaders like Kevin Smith and Kurt Cobain and Quentin Tarantino were already pushing 30+ when I (or Bart) was not yet in high school. Millennials are both starting college and almost 40 right now (see these terms are useless?).

Also, no one who wrote in the early seasons would have been a child in the 80's, this was apparent watching it at the time. Marge and Homer's childhoods and early married life is the writer's time capsule.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Wizard Master posted:

the guy who voiced Lionel Hutz

This is an incredibly weird way to refer to Phil Hartman. It's Phil loving Hartman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A sincere apology by Al Jean.

yes