Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The_Franz posted:

The writers and actors hate it and consider it a mistake because it set the precedent for throwing established characters out the window to fit whatever zany plot they invent, but compared to those awful clips from the newer seasons it's a goddamn masterpiece.

There was someone on the show that I think really defending that episode, though.
From wiki:

"Ken Keeler, Bill Oakley, and Josh Weinstein all defend the episode in its DVD commentary. Keeler asserts, "I am very, very proud of the job I did on this episode. This is the best episode of television I feel I ever wrote."[25] He describes the episode as a commentary on "people who like things just the way they are", and remarks, "It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it." However, Keeler says that some of the dialogue was changed from his original draft, making this point less obvious.[26] Oakley and Weinstein explain that they wanted to push the boundaries of the series while working as show-runners, and advise viewers to treat "The Principal and the Pauper" as an "experiment". They surmise that the negative reception was partly due to the fact that it was not immediately apparent to viewers that this was such an episode (as opposed to, for example, "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase").[27] They also describe the ending of the episode as an attempt to reset the continuity and allow fans to consider the episode as non-canonical, divorced from the larger series.[28]"

There was a video of car tires going down a hill that thinking of this clip reminds me of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzmaQbx8e4

4:30 is the 'Homer" of tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Khorne posted:

The one thing south park has done right: aging the kids slightly over the years.

Even then, the SP kids I thought only went up a single yearr and they've gone unaged for the last 15 or so years, haven't they?

I've said this before, too, but when the characters have to interact with modern characters or celebrities, it sort of jumps out with how out of time the Simpsons are. The cast were sort of designs of the late 80s in their fashion sense, but in the episode when Bart went to the other 4th grade class the kids were much more modern in their look and talk. When the cast has to go out and interact with something in the new hip popular culture, they sort of stand out like sore thumbs.

I know the Simpsons has done 'future' episodes in the past, but I'm sort of surprised they've not done the gimmick of a 'real time' Simpsons episode how where the characters would be and who they'd be if they'd actually aged over the last several seasons and it was them in 2017 or something: Bart and Milhouse at 40, Homer at nearly 70, Mr. Burns at nearly 110, Lisa being mid-30s burned out teacher who is considered a conservative monster by the standards of today. All their fashion, attitudes, environment being built around a modern day Springfield.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Bart would be using Milhouse as for an abusive food and activity challenge Youtube channel that also doubles in a retro-gaming and media review site. Milhouse, so happy to be able to 'beat' Bart and be a 'winner', coupled with his own self-destructive personality, allows himself to do things like eat a fire ants and drink a slushie made of nothing but jalepeno peppers. Bart refuses to let Milhouse read the Youtube comments for fear that if he saw how much people were making fun of him for his reactions he'd stop participating.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
No matter how bad we think the show has gotten, would just the act of letting the show end or get cancelled just infuriate everyone in the media journalism industr? I'm sort of thinking the only way they can end the show is if one of the main family member voices passed away or was unable to voice the character, anymore. The actual act of replacing them might be the only thing more offensive than ending the show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Fox doesn't really have a news/current affairs show. They should take that Simpsons Live thing and just turn the Simpson cast into newscasters or the like to talk about current events a few times a week.

The only problem is that I'm sure even folks on GMA, your local news or The View will have some amusing banter every so often...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons Movie is a movie feels like a project that shouldn't have even been taken on until a year or so after the series ended so you could just turn that into a series of movies, sort of like various Muppet films.

The sort of problem is that you almost can't do a big screen romp given how much the show has already done without retreading already worn ground. Something like "Simpsons in Japan" or "Simpsons go to Europe" or "Homer in Space" could have probably been these big concepts milked for a 90 minute movie if you threw in some extra B storyline material for the family members to do, some big celebrity cameos or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Does the over-explaining jokes thing maybe tie in a bit to the show having a more global audience today vs. 20-25 years ago? They have limits to how much can be changed in a script for each market, so better make sure everyone knows exactly WHY this is funny in case you're not from a culture that gets it.

I guess a good example is I remember how I'd watch a few anime here and there that would have disclaimers at the start of the episode to explain something like, "This show directly references as part of the plot something that US audiences will not understand, so here is a summary of this and a western approximation" or used to include little pamphlets with the video with facts and trivia that would sometimes explain why a cut-away gag or a line of dialog was really funny but it due to culture/language it didn't translate to an actual joke, so just watch the scene with this explanation in mind so you can feel free to laugh.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
However, I can see the argument that the Sunday night audience for Simpsons might have faced some competition in recent years since about the start of the more severe trending drop.

What was it against for several years on Sundays? Looking at the shows Simpsons was up against on Sundays from 2000-2005, I see:

2000-2001 Simpsons had an average of about 15M viewer and was a lead-in to the then popular Malcolm in the Middle. Other channels in the same block showing Wonderful world of Disney*, Touched by an Angel*, Dateline, Ed, Steve Harvey.
2001-2002: Simpsons had avg. 12.5M viewers. Other shows on at the same time were again the Disney and Steve Harvey as well as The Education of Max Bickford, Weakest Link. Simpsons did better than all of them, and this is considering how popular Weakest Link was in that window of time.
2002-2003: Simpsons has 14.5M avg. Competition was more Disney, Charmed, Becker/Big Fat Greek Life, and American Dreams.
2003-2004: Simpsons drops to 11M. What caused this big a drop? American Dreams and Charmed still run against it, but it gets big competition from Cold Case and Extreme Makover Home Ed.
2004-2005: Simpsons at 10.2M: Almost no competition changed other than American Dreams gave way to a boxing reality show (The Contender) but Cold Case and Extreme Makeover are both shows in the top 20. Also, Extreme Home Makeover is a lead in to other popular shows: Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy and Boston Legal.

2003-2004 probably marked the first of the real competition to Sunday nights for Simpsons. After that, for the next 5-7 years it was going up against events and must-see TV like Amazing Race, West Wing, NBC's Sunday NIght Football, Big Brother, CSI:Miami and so on.

Two of the worst overall seasons (ratings wise) were 2012-14 where they were doing about 5-5.5M avg. , where they were up against: Once Upon A Time, Big Brother, Amazing Race, The Bachelor and Football.

So, is it maybe a combo of Simpsons never really having strong Sunday competition (and coming off a few years where they had some big shows like X-Files and Malcolm surrounding them), but then it faced a combo of popular programs up against them and people liking the show less?

edit: A thing note is that even though in the late 90s/early 00s, Disney and Touched By and Angel aired opposite of the Simpsons, all three did really good ratings for the time, it seems. So perhaps my observations don't hold water. It also doesn't take into account the increase of popular cable programming that would have maybe aired on Sundays in that slot in the last 6-7 years.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 8, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zCDkj-9H8
Was this an actual episode or part of a Simpsons game or something?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons need to just reboot the show with a whole new direction.

Homer and Marge become detectives and solve mysteries and they bring along Maggie who points out clues. Bart is now Sideshow Bart on Krusty's show. Lisa is secretly a superhero working with aliens and occasionally runs into Kang and Kodos.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
One thing that Family Guy I think mentioned in a commentary track during an early season was the shift of Peter from a toy factory to other jobs after the first few years. You'd maybe lose Mr. Burns (unless he pretty much owns Springfield) but I could have seen giving the characters a major lifestyle shake up every 4-5 years in terms of jobs, income, etc. could have helped them come up with some new story ideas rather than just excuses for one-off stories.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
So, given the sort of bubble of constantly maintaining some level of an unchanging universe, what would be different if the show started in different years?

If the show were starting starting 15 years ago, maybe in a world where South Park and Family Guy just never existed due to there being no Simpsons emerging nearly a decade sooner, would Burns would be running "BurnsMart" supercorp. instead of a nuclear power plant? Homer would be a greeter as a job where he's easily ignored, treated like a number, unrecognized by his own boss who he greets on a daily basis? Also, with the eventual death of local broadcaster cartoons and stuff like Bozo within just a few years, would even Krusty exist on the show past a certain point in a world where the audience were growing up without stuff like classic H-B, WB and etc. cartoon shorts in constant rotation as a point of reference? Flanders being sort of a less likeable and compassionate character and more a prosperity doctrine preaching one?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've wondered for a while if Armin Tamzarian would have been a less divisive episode if the plot wasn't "Yes, Skinner was a phony" but use a similar plot that this guy comes into town challenging Skinner's status as the REAL Seymour Skinner and we get an entire thing of people questioning if this could be true and even Skinner doubting himself. Skinner is such a weakwilled character that as the episode goes on, he's getting gaslighted all the time by what this new guy is saying but also memories that his confrontational mother has of him/new guy that he cannot bring himself to challenge.

You could probably have the twist at the end be that the guy's con is undone not by the clever investigation by the townfolk, but by realizing that his con would force him to be trapped in Springfield, forever, as Skinner. Just like he was manipulating Skinner and the people, the town's treatment of him as they accept him as 'New Skinner' to actually take on his persona and role is so unbearable that he breaks under the pressure.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons Movie 2: Hank Scorpio runs for President.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

what room is homer in here?

twoday posted:

It is the rarely seen Rumpus Room.

Why would the TV be moved, though? If you look at the house diagram, the TV screen is directly in front of the window while in the episode it is at a 90-degree angle. Why would Homer move the TV? If it's to avoid the distraction of the outdoors, why not just close the curtains? Do you notice how many times "11" shows up in this shot?

Kubrick's only Simpsons episode is way underrated.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A Netflix series about people who won highly promoted Hollywood prizes could be sort of fun as part pop-culture history lesson of why stuff was really popular and part human interest story about what eventually happened to the prizes. Interviews with the winners, people involved in the marketing campaign for the contests, people involved with the original productions, some commentary by pop culture geeks about the whole thing, etc.

You see stuff like this and this seems like you could fill a decent 22min with it.
https://www.destructoid.com/meet-the-winner-of-nintendo-power-s-the-mask-ii-contest-287112.phtml

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Drawn Together to me was just that 'other original animated show on CC that wasn't South Park' It's a premise that tried too hard to be mature and edgy and it sort of became one note. But I find a lot of stuff like this is sort of the same when people try parody and satire. How do you make a funny satire/parody of pop culture archtypes? Essentially, the answer is everyone is a sex addict, a horrible person, a stereotype or just idiots.

The Awesomes, Drawn Together, Supermansion... I'm not saying it can't be funny, but it seems like that's about all they can think of to do with things like that. Do something different with it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Irradiation posted:

Ugly Americans didn't deserve to be canceled.

I was really hoping Bojack Horseman would have ended up revealing that Ugly Americans and Bojack exist in the same universe.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Backweb posted:

I'm curious if anybody can give me a perspective: I've got a theory that the stasis of the characters and the inertia of the show (Flanderization aside) has created a 30-year old time capsule. Looking at the earlier seasons whenever they'd have a flashback episode we can see how the writers from two decadess ago reflected upon their childhoods in the 1970s and 80s and what they insert regarding the technology that was prominent, fashions, colors, etc. My understanding is that the original "backstories" of the show have since been retconned so that Homer and Marge met in the 1990s or something, but even that provides a frame of reference to the pop culture of the past. As annoying as the writing is and as much as the show needs to be taken out and shot in the back yard its faults are a treasure trove of commentary and perspective on contemporary society that you can't get through other shows like South Park or Rick and Morty that are just too over-the-top to be satires on everyday American life. I suppose I should watch a new episode sometime just to see how well the argument stands up (and whether or not the formula still holds up despite the Flanderization), but I'm afraid I'll be annoyed at how often all the kids use their smartphones or something.

I still wonder if Simpsons just needed semi-routine 'reboots' about every 7-10 years to mark a sort of clear delineation between eras and maybe give them some excuse to go full out instead of going with half-measures with trying to update and keep the nostalgic aspects and modern aspects in line. Keep the established characters, but take it as a chance to set up a new standard for the next half-dozen years to give new clothing, hairstyles, etc.

Granted, I know it's just a cartoon and you can't put too much on that, but this way at least you sort of could have set eras of the tone and style of the show, the stories told, establish some different nuances with the characters that would be the new norm to reflect new social norms or the eras they grew up in, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A modern Simpsons reboot would probably flip the Bart/Lisa dynamic by keeping their basic traits in place but changing their social status a bit.

Lisa is a super popular with fellow students and teachers as being musically-talented and academically-successful overachiever who is also a hardcore gamer and into Asian media like K-pop and untranslated manga. Bart, on the other hand, is the unpopular one, being not really good enough at anything to to make him stand out in a positive way and the reason he hangs out with Milhouse is because they're both sort of in the same boat.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Last Chance posted:

The writers are probably still a couple of years away from figuring this one out

It'll be the origin story of how Homer met Marge: The kids get on Youtube and discover there's a whole series of "Raging Springfield Gamer" videos featuring him and Comic Book Guy from like 2007 when Homer was still in high school which have millions of views each and suddenly stopped being produced.

Homer will talk about how before the kids were born he was a popular Youtube personality who did angry game reviews and invented the LP and angry reviewer genre, until he met Marge, she mellowed him out and he eventually got her pregnant and he realized he needed a full-time job that paid better.

Punchline to the episode is,
"Besides, even if millions of people watched every video I made, no one makes money on Youtube playing video games."
"PewDiePie pulled in $12M last year doing that."
"D'OH!"

edit: You know, you'd have a lot of YT cameos in the episode. James Rolfe would show up at "Rantcon 2008" and sit on a panel with Homer and ask Homer for any advice he can give him. PewDiePie will abscond with Homer's secret notebook of show ideas and vanish backstage. They guy from Classic Game Room would constantly be told to shut up because "if you can only say NICE things about retrogaming then you shouldn't be saying anything at all!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
One thing I was sort of just now thinking of in regards with Youtube is that with Bart/Lisa being 10/8, they and Homer aren't that far off from having the exact same cultural experiences for the most part.

Homer and Marge would be pretty well-versed in tech like smartphones, Youtube, Internet, media players, DVRs, huge cable line-ups, high-speed internet. Things like Marvel movies, etc. and what not as it was already getting popular while Marge and Homer were still considered young, themselves. Anything like a PS2, 360, Wii or PS3 would likely have been just as much a recreational activity of Marge and Homer before the kids came along to play them.

With something like the show starting off in the late 80s/early 90s with Bart being 10 or so then, we could say that things like Homer possibly spent almost all his life with only radio, records and antenna TV before the kids came along. Game systems, cable, game systems and computers were probably far more the norm for Bart and Lisa.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Izzhov posted:

I would kinda like to see Evil Morty come back tho. I wanna know what that dude's deal is

His Rick was from a timeline where Rick who used the Devil's Microscope. Conversely, Evil Morty went to Needful's shop to get something that would make Rick 'back into Rick he was', or something but tested it on himself, first. So, it imbued Morty with the intelligence, not-caring about Morties and Rick-hating personality thing, instead.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was watching an episode of The Critic a few weeks ago and it struck me how much I wish they'd do a live-action movie of the show if only to cast Chris Hemsworth as Jeremy Hawke and keep Lovitz in the role of Jay.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I look forward to the Simpsons in 2029 when they do their 'Homer and Marge as young adults" episode and they reimaging them as teens/early 20s of the 2010-2019 era.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

NiceGuy posted:

At this point Skinner was probably never really in Vietnam, he was in Desert Storm

Whoever said they should have aged everyone 5 years every 10 seasons or so is right. We would have lost minimal classic material and it might have kept the writers from having to retread over characters' origins two, three, four times.

I still wonder if just doing updated Simpsons series wouldn't have been better to just update the setting of the universe every 5-6 seasons wouldn't have been better so that you have eras of the show that are locked in specific time capsule bubbles. But at the same time, it would openly invite going over and doing retreads of origins every few years, too, though. I guess think about it in comic book terms, some DC Universe multiverse stuff. It maybe gives you an opportunity for every so often for something like the holiday specials like Treehouse or Horrors or Christmas Episodes etc. to tell stories specifically in a certain way by using classic incarnations.

Simpsons reboot today, for example, Marge would likely be the one working at the power plant and Homer would be the stay at home dad.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't really know how the movie elevated the franchise all that much as the graph indicates.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

Remember Pepper Anne?

Very vague memory of Pepper Ann outside a few episodes, but one of the ones I do remember is a cartoon based on a Xena/WW-type comic character that she and her sibling were fans of that turned the main heroine into a sort of "I like shopping and boys" stereotype. They complained and in response the producers of the cartoon listened and relaunched the show based on that: The warrior maiden was changed to the far further direction of being an equally unpopular extreme of a super blood-thirsty and violent anti-hero.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons Halloween 2017 will be Bartman V Homerman parody, the Suicide Squad parody (Suspended Squad) about a group of bad kids in the school who are forced by Skinner (who is forced by his mom) to send them out to do things worse than the things that got them suspended and the Astounding Spider-Pig.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

I know I'm repeating myself, but aging itself maybe isn't needed, but just a massive one-time modernization of everyone. It's a show that's approaching 30 years on the air and everything from the designs to attitudes feel like they haven't kept up with modern culture.

Sure, the argument has been made that the Simpons has always been sort of a satire of the 50s-80s family sitcom style, so there's no need to change it, but now the Simpsons itself is sort of in the same boat of the things it was parodying. It's trying to be modern and hip, but it feels held back by the standard it set for itself 30 years ago.

I've brought this up before, but starting (or restarting) the Simpsons in different years would have probably resulted in a much different show. It's sort of harder for folks to accept Homer as an idiot working at a highly-skilled job in the power plant today so he'd have to have some less prestigious and well-paying job. Marge would likely have been the only member of the family with a college degree and maybe she would be the member of the family with a job that kept them all afloat. Lisa would be really popular and accepted by peers and teachers because geek is the new cool and maybe one of the only ways you could paint her as an outcast would be if the family were of a lower-status than the rest of her classmates. Flanders would be presented as a character who deserved the abuse getting put on him by Homer because he was a very Christian character with extremely conservative attitudes.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 24, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Could the movie have been a big send off to the original Simpons formula? It would have been about 20 years after the start of the series, so when you came back in the fall you'd maybe be able to just have a whole new direction post-film and maybe people would be a little more free to accept it at that point.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm talking less about aging the characters or giving everyone smartphones, though, and more of something akin to a soft reboot to sort of modernize the a lot of things as a whole at one time. Even something like comic books will do a number of soft reboots every 4-8 years when you get a new creative team, a new direction, new costumes, etc.

Maybe 30 years is too long to run the formula and do anything new without resorting to celebrities guest stars, trips all over the world, etc. Maybe we need to think about some big changing of the status quo at one time to give everyone a fresh start, make the reboot a way to reinvigorate some interest, give people a chance to tell some new stories.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
"Look, dad! Uncle Herbert's back and he's revived his wealth by creating ApPowell Computers and their signature devices, the iPowelld, the iPowd..."
"That's right, Lisa. Homer, my company is looking to branch out one more time into mobile phones. But they're so complicated and I realized I needed the most common, simple everyman I could find to help us design a phone anyone could understand how to use. Please help me design the iPhomer."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Wasn't Seth MacFarlane working on a Flintstones reboot a few years back?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Ned Flanders returns to his job in pharmaceuticals, but after being out of the game for so long he can only find a spot as a test subject for a new drug that cures people of left-handedness.

Flanders doesn't realize what is happening to him at first, but as his left-handed nature begins to give way to gradual ambidextrous manipulations and finally full on right-handedness, he finds himself becoming popular and successful and fitting in with everyone because he seems so normal now signing his name on credit card receipts with his right hand.

Then he discovers that the company's drug is doing this to him with the ultimate goal making selling it to schools to force to allow teacher to teach nothing but right-handed students.

"No! The Good Lord made me a southpaw, and I'll be hecked if I let someone tell me that I can't live my life that way and that I need to change for the comfort of other people!"
"Mr. Flanders, I hope you see the hypocrisy in your sudden realization."
"I surely-diddly-do, Lisa! I can't run a left-handed store as a righty! The scandal!"
"No, I meant your conservative belief system that similarly tries to enf--"
"No time to talk, Lisa! I have to get to the drug company as soon as possible and see if they can undo this perversion they've inflicted upon me! Homer... I'm going to that drug company, and things might get ugly."
(*Flanders opens up a gun case with a matching set of right and left handed revolvers and pulls them out to admire them in his hands for a moment.*)
"I don't know if I'll coming back..."
(*reaction shot of everyone looking shocked*)
"...a righty or a lefty..."
(*Flanders puts guns back in case, reaction shot of everyone at ease*)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Marge gets inspired to write and draw a comic book after seeing Lady Liberty movie. Topical poo poo from 2016-2017 occurs in an episode that won't air until 2020.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Burns Before Reading: The Springfield Public Library has revealed they have a list of all the overdue books in their collection that are owed late fees. Marge as a volunteer is assigned to go to door to door to collect the books or replacement fees from cardholders until she gets to Mr. Burns. Burns both refuses to pay for the book and give it back to the library.

Lisa and Marge delve into the history of the book with the library and discover it was a donated book donated by the Burns Estate, itself, nearly 75 years earlier, there are apparently no other copies in existence to replace it with, and decide to make it into a mystery to solve as to what is so important about this one book and Mr. Burns.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

That could actually make for a great season 2~3 episode

The plot would be that they discover the writer of the book is an anagram for C. Monty Burns. During the summer break before college, Mr. Burns fancied himself an idealistic young writer and decided to write the great American novel. Unable to find a publisher, he paid for a vanity press to publish some copies and donated one to the local library.

"A mistake of my youth, fancying myself a 'writer'. HA! Isn't that a lark!"
"If you're embarrassed about people reading something you wrote as a kid, I can understand..."
"No, Marge, you DON'T understand... No one EVER read it, and no one ever will. You see, none of them sold. Not a one. Every copy ended up delivered right back to me and, well... If we BURNSes are good at anything, it's burning... I'd forgotten all about my donated copy until years later. I had to appear to protest some charity function at the library and while I was leaving I'd gotten lost and stumbled upon my book on the stacks. I have to admit, there was a snifter of curiosity in my mind, Marge. I was set to open the book up and find it riddled with return date stamps all over the inside cover, but it was bare. The only indication that anyone had ever opened it up once at all was a dead flower I'd left pressed between the pages as a teenager... At that moment, I decided if no one wanted it, if no one else was going to check it out, then I'd just take it back..."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Homer loses his job at the Power Plant forever. Ned renews his pharmacist license and opens a drug store and hires Marge to work in it as a cashier/technician/stocker/something.

Homer becomes a stay at home dad who sits at the computer all day watching videos. Eventually, Marge challenges him to DO SOMETHING if he's not going to cook or clean or anything, so he decides to create a Youtube channel where he gets a paltry 500 views a video but he's super excited by that number because to him that's like the whole world is watching him. While Marge works 40 hours a week, Homer spends more and more of his time putting on more and more highly produced videos that go completely unnoticed by the world but make him happy because he always gets those 500 views like clockwork.

Turns out all those views are coming from his old SNPP coworkers who miss having him around all day and watch them to keep up on what he's doing.

Mr. Burns is made aware of this former employee who has 500 people watching this man on a daily basis?! My God, think about Smithers! 500 People tune in every day to watch this man speak! Why, the video reels we make only get 5 views! He's a superstar! We've got to hire him back to do these videos for us!

"But sir, we're in negotiations with George Clooney and Robert Downey Jr. to make videos for us."
"Pft! Maybe you didn't see the TRIPLE DIGIT views this man is getting on HIS kinostrips on a daily basis! Get me Homer Simpson!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
This cartoon is 30 years old, eh? Time to fill up the Hot Topic with hipster gear of it.