Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The talk about animation of characters not the focus of the scene and I still always think to the Mr. Sparkle episode with the librarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krT7Bl3PiY

Just the extra little thing of the librarian typing at the computer, looking over, and then running off just makes me laugh more than the extended dialing sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You Don't Know Moe: A Spinoff Series about all the crazy stuff Moe gets up to the rest of the week when Homer isn't at the bar. Crime stuff, repair stuff, dating stuff, etc.

An Inconvenient Apu: An Apu-centric Spinoff with a new voice actor in the role and it deals with everything about him running the store and having a normal life raising his kids. All new characters involved.

Showbiz Springfield: A spinoff show about the Hollywood of the Simpsons universe, centered around all the various fake celebrities the show has introduced like Rainer Wolfcastle, Duffman, Krusty, etc. as they try to keep their careers going. All celebrity cameo epiosdes will be in this series.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe they need to do a Springfield Stories series: Nothing but a 2-5 different non-Simpsons family characters doing things each week and maybe there is some crossover with one another during the episodes.

It might be a way for writers who have these really great 4-10 minute stand-alone bits to tell them without having to try to figure in how to put it in the stories of the main characters.

If it proves popular enough, you want to cancel the main Simpsons show and then you gradually introduce the Simpsons family into the spinoff segments over time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The Simpsons Movie is one of those things that seemed like it was in development forever, it came out finally, and no on really remembers or cares about it.

The 'best' to come from it was likely the game at the same time. It didn't get great reviews or anything, but it has long been a title that seems to have retained a lot of its resale value compared to most movie tie-ins.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Would The Simpsons Movie have beat Family Guy to the Star Wars parody they'd made their movie a SW parody first?

It would have been a few years since the last Star Wars film by that point and just making the theme of theatrical Simpsons movies into big satires of very popular films ala the 'Treehouse' episodes might have been a way to go about it and give them an excuse to churn them out every few years based on what was the really popular films.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Peace de Bundy posted:

what have you done

It's just a random thought I have. You can transplant most of the Simpsons characters pretty easily into a Star Wars parody, maybe even more so than Family Guy, and I seem to remember when the series first went into syndication one of the earlier trailers WAS inserting Bart into Star Wars footage.

The scene of Darth Homer in Empire in that chamber getting his helmet put on would also have a similar devices dipping a donut into a cup of coffee for him. When the officer leaves, Darth Homer tries to eat the donut through the helmet and just goes, "D'oh"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know why, but I somehow got this flash that the Simpsons Universe and the Nicktoons/Disney Doug Universe might be same universe and Doug's setting is just a bit more an affluent and diverse suburban community.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
To put the wayback machine a little bit, people in their late-20s/earlyish-30s spent their 8-18yo years in what? That window of about 1997-2004 or so? So, you would have maybe had South Park, anime and Adult Swim content out there that would be more appealing to that same demographic with little competition in their timeslots.

Simpsons I thought had some counterprogramming competition around 15 years ago, too. If the parents were in control of the TV on Sunday nights, in the era of pretty much if you missed it on first run, you'd probably not see it again until reruns or if you were curious enough to pick up the DVDs, there was other stuff on that you were being told that was going to get watched, instead.

I seemed to recall posting about something similar in this window a while back and found that post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808768&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post469206506

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 26, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
On the Clerks:TAS DVD commentary tracks, didn't they talk about how they had an actor who was doing an 'Indian' voice for a character and he proceeded to go through different specific regional accents to get them to clarify which one they wanted?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

You're right. All the characters should just be white.

It's the Simpsons, though, so don't you mean yellow?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Didn't some of the episodes on the DVDs have audio tracks from non-French, non-Spanish foreign dubs as extras?

I was really interested in the Japanese one just due to anime and was curious how they'd play out the dialogue of an extremely American cartoon.

I don't know if this is legit, but they managed to get Japanese voice actors who sound a bit like Seymour and Chalmers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOwMYxYsPig

Man, I guess if you're looking for something to spice up classic Simpsons, the dubs bring something new to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEudK9_oL34

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 29, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know how Disney/Fox can end the Simpsons.

They could maybe go the route of doing the Simpsons as a series of shorts, again. The series is officially cancelled, but they stay in the public eye in the form of 0.5-5min shorts that appear through the week with other programming and/or their Hulu/Youtube channel.

I could see them doing a Springfield series spinoff to take weight off the main cast of characters to give themselves an out of, "Well, the Simpsons are a part of Springfield, too..." They can quietly cancel the Simpsons and the characters continue to make appearances down the road.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At the end of every video, a placeholder voice-over/animation of Bart Simpson going, "Like, subscribe and comment, dudes! Rate my shorts, man!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

That clip was bad, but not really offensively so. Just generic and boring and predictable. Like every joke I could see coming from a mile away. Also why is there a "you've got mail" joke in alongside a guantanamo bay joke? I'm pretty certain you've got mail hasn't been a thing since like the mid 90s.

Holy poo poo

I think it'd be more classic Simpsons stripped down a bit more or changed things a bit.

Take out the feMac joke, it doesn't work. I could MAYBE see them going, "The prize was going to be the iMac, but we got the iMal, the Malibu Stacy version, instead. It does all the same work, but it only cost us about 80% as much." It's still not a good joke, but it might be a bit more subtle.

Even the Susan Sarandon bit ALMOST works, but you need a different set up to it. LIke if some hipster was standing there next to Marge who was impressed with the 'you've got mail' announcment and they did the Guantanamo line as a 'You rubes don't are so concerned with your duck races, the world is burning and you don't even know it.... But I really want that computer, so put me down for a duck!" (Again, not that good, either.)

Finally, the windmill stuff probably removes any sense of reality from the scene. Just have Homer making an rear end of himself chasing down the duck to try to get it back on the right path... only for that little fork in the stream just curve back to the same spot in the race, anyway.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Who, other than Hartman, could have come into the Simpsons to do a similar type of character?

I know it's years too late, but H. Jon Benjamin or even a Keanu Reeves* could almost do a Troy McClure-type, if you moved him from the 70s/80s type of fun celebrity and more a jaded 90s/00s cynical hipster celebrity whose educational videos all reek of sentenced community service assignments.

*edit: Stephen Dorff. Get him do to them in the same way he did his Blu e-cig commercials.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 21, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If the Simpsons had been cancelled years ago in 2000, we'd have had 1 live action movie that would be horrible and done in that wacky Tim Burton or Grinch/Cat in the Hat magical fantasy way by 2003.

Also, 2 animated movies, with one of them being direct to video holiday themed one before an attempt to revive them as a 3D animated movie circa 2010 that might lead into a 3D animated TV series that would offset the costs by paying the cast much less money.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons cancelled in 2000 might have meant Fox would give up primetime animation entirely after Futurama/Family Guy/Etc don't become massive hits.

Adult Swim might have been big enough to cause Fox to revive Family Guy and start up American Dad, maybe give Futurama a similar revival sooner than the eventual Comedy Central/DTV Movies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Plan Z posted:

I wanna see a compilation of every clip where a character (usually Lisa) goes "Wow! It's <celebrity name>!" without a hint of irony.

I think the time is right for another Simpsons spin-off showcase, but one of the segments would be done in a style like a 70s-era Scooby-Doo where the whole family solved mysteries while going on random weekend trips and a recognizable by just their voice celebrity would show up and get involved.

It'd be called Snowball Du, where Snowball would replace Scooby. Maggie isn't present because union rules prevented them from having baby in the recording booth for over 16 hours a day to record her lines. The spinoff never went past a few pilots because of this fact and they would jump to the wrong conclusion and create disturbing theories about where she really went..

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Are the Simpsons even on Netflix?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

lol but seriously I posted:

how much would it cost them to just hire the writing team of a currently good sitcom, have them knock out a season of whatever they're currently working on & then reskin all the characters as their nearest simpson analogue? how can you have so little interest in what you do for a living?

The Simpsons feels like a show that almost everyone knows is fairly stable, but it's not going to have the occasional SNL-like resurgence in popularity with just a few extremely popular episodes or segments.

I think that maybe makes people a little hesitant to put their A-game on the show because they're going to get as much out of it as if they'd use their B-material or effort. Better to save that material and energy for your personal pilot your going to try to sell to a network in the future.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think Bojack's depression maybe just comes from 3 places:

-A family history of depression/abusive behavior
-Failing to maintain, recreate or surpass the success of his Horsin' Around days.
-He turned his back on people he cared about in order to be or keep being famous.

Success didn't erase the first, attempting the second didn't give it back to him, and doing the third makes him think he doesn't deserve it anyway.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Our comedy cartoons have gotten less funny, our $100M+ huge effects action sci-fi movie have gotten more funny.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Archer somehow makes that non-stop thing work, and so does R&M to an extent. Maybe because they're all petty, one-upping a-holes.

Then other things try to emulate that and it comes off as more obnoxious and forced.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
About a year after they phase out Apu, they'll announce the final episode of The Simpsons.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Simpsons and Family Guy switch Apu and H. Jon Benjamin's cashier characters in trade.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It seems like if you're looking at a potential solution for the character that to one extreme might involve voice actor change, characterization change, job change, lifestyle change and design change, just making a whole new character from scratch and putting Apu away forever seems like the only outcome that has the least negative result.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
And he hit his head when he landed on the ground.

He's now a hardcore conservative who pals around with Neddy and sells his stake in the Kwik-E-Mart to buy The Android's Dungeon where he bans all the SJW comics.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It just struck me: Have they ever made an official novelty box of Simpsons chocolates based around the Who Shot Mr. Burns chocolate box scene?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

What happened between season 11 and 12?

I wrote something about this turn on the Simpsons a LONG time ago in this thread about the SImpsons ratings. Forbes and I must be using some different numbers, as I thought I was pulling mine from Wiki when I typed all that up. I show a different high/low around that time.

It CAN'T be a 9/11 'people staying home, watching comfort TV' thing, because the internet says Season 12 was Nov '00-May' 01, though. Was Fox still showing NFL (or some other major sporting event games) at that time? I could see a lot of people sticking around after it was done. Only stuff like Futurama probably would have gotten preempted or not aired at all by a long-running game and post-game commentary section.

A few years later though, the gradual decline of the Simpsons might be attributed to to the MUCH stronger competition on almost every channel.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_United_States_network_television_schedule

Looking at Simpsons and what it was scheduled between in 2002 looks like a mess that year. Hell, skip forward it seems like EVERY year after seems to be the Fox trying to find something to pair with the show on Sundays.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Watching the Nightmare on FaceTime episode last night and that one held up great. I had to make sure the date of release (2012) because with the last few years of Blockbuster nostalgia and continued Avengers hype, it seemed like it could have been released this year.

It also shares a bit of a theme with this season, too: Randy pulling his family into a new family business.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone else really hate the word raunchy.

I prefer raunchy to describe something rather than 'ribald'.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, you know what: We're not in enough trouble with Apu. Let's take Ghandi and throw him in there right now, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was watching the Stan Lee cameo from Simpsons from several years ago. I have vague memories of people dislike his cameo years ago as not having any reason for being there, but Stan feels perfectly 'Springfield' in those scenes.

Someone was talking about how celebrities as themselves or as characters are treated with a higher degree of esteem in the show in recent years, but Stan's whole portrayal feels like it's that right mix of reverent and ridiculing that makes him feel a bit like he's not just a celebrity guest but a real character in the show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I've got it. The Simpsons went downhill when South Park became popular.

There might have just been an escalation of talent bypassing or abandoning The Simpsons, perhaps emboldened a bit by South Park's success, thinking they could just make their OWN show.

By the latter 90s/mid-00s, the 'cartoons for big kids/adult' was churning out quite a bit in different venues, and quite a lot of it was getting access to some relatively popular names.

I think back to that window, just around the time of South Park, and we get all those Icebox shorts, I think Newgrounds had a big audience, MTV has about 3-4 different animated series, Comedy Central is doing about the same outside of just South Park, the birth/death/rebirth of Family Guy into a juggernaut, Adult Swim's original programming, Spike/TNN tried to do a handful of shows, etc. Quite a few of them ended up getting some degree of popular voices in them, despite even being only webisode series done in Flash.

If South Park hadn't been so successful, I don't know if other channels/websites would have been so ready to keep greenlighting animation

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

My true life confession is that I genuinely enjoyed and laughed at The Cleveland Show more than anything else besides original run Futurama. I think Cleveland is the funniest cartoon dad ever because his personality is multifaceted, as opposed to Peter, Homer and Stan.

I had wished they'd done a bit more with Mort after Cleveland left because he and Cleveland both sort of filled a similar niche in the Peter/Quagmire/Joe/_____ collective. They seemed to keep auditioning characters for that hole and none of them ever really feel like they fit or they stayed or were welcome.

Either that, or the Cleveland Show had been The Mort Show with the ONLY difference in concept being Mort/Neil and keeping everything else the same. For some reason they could have worked some of Mort/Neil's character traits into the show's stories a bit better.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The fan theory about Bob's Burgers is that everyone is in dead and in Heaven. They're just in Heaven's Jersey.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I seem to recall some quote from someone on the show about the contract dispute that was along the lines of, "You can make hundreds of thousands of dollars an episode and still get screwed over."

But I don't know what the full context of this might be or what it was referring to. I'm thinking maybe royalties on merchandising which might pull in more per year than the actual show does.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think I tried to give Disenchantment a watch, but I think where it was failing for me was that despite it being a mythical setting, it didn't really feel like it had the spirit of such a thing, almost too modern, amongst other things.

I similarly tried to give Paradise PD a watch and found it after the first 3 minutes to be one of the most frustratingly bad animated comedies I've seen in a while.

I know people tend to focus on Rick and Morty and Venture Bros. when it comes to Adult Swim, but I don't know how they managed to succeed so relatively well in almost all their original animated fare over the years, even the most absurd and disturbing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Just from the first few episodes of Disenchantment, it doesn't feel like the characters have any depth to them. Bean's story just doesn't do anything for me because from moment one that we're introduced to her, she's already confident, liberated, capable and adventurous.

That's not a problem, but the teasers for the show made it seem like the journey of the character was supposed to be that to move them away from a sheltered life.

I don't know if this would be an improvement: If you need to start the series with a wedding, anyway, just have it be to her father and new step-mother. The moment the 'I Do' is said, she finds her once comfortable royal life thrown into disarray by the new step-mom who does things to her that (un)intentionally leads her to become a different person and face different challenges.

It feels like a more traditional fairy tale gimmick of the 'evil stepmother' and if that was a bit more of the focus, you could play it in different ways. Even an eventual reveal that while to Bean it all looks cruel, to the step-Mom it's more a, "No, I'm not being 'evil', I'm trying to be a responsible parent!"