Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Watched a few random recent episodes and the only funny thing was how much Harry Shearer clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The season 28 finale is legit good.

What was good about it?

I wish someone respectable would make a list of all the legit good episodes after season 10. It would be cool to have a playlist of good Simpsons episodes I've never seen.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only thing I remember about the movie is Marge saying god drat (I don't even remember the context of this scene) and the Bart dick scene.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 18, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Spider-pig was briefly popular

Oh yeah. How memorable and hilarious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also liked how they made Arnold a character because they thought the movie audience was too stupid to know who their own Arnold parody character is. Also isn't it wacky that this guy could be president? Joke was just lame then, now it's depressing as gently caress too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The voice actors sound ok and pretty much the same to me other than Marge and all of Harry Shearer's characters since he clearly hasn't cared for 20 years. Marge's voice actress sounds like she's killing her poor vocal cords.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There's a lot of wacky episodes with jerk rear end Homer that are still funny. That's not why the show became bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven't regularly watched any new episodes since like season 10 or 11. I'll only check out the occasional new one if there's some buzz like the Lego one or the Futurama crossover.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

gently caress my life that was so bad. I was 14 and so excited for it. I don't even think I finished the first episode. Lol Spike had some real animated stinkers.

You know something must be embarrassing if even all of us as teens thought it was too edgelordy.

It's still fine to enjoy R&S since John K. actually had surprisingly little to do with all the good poo poo. Bob Camp was responsible for most of the good content.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

facebook jihad posted:

Because he only makes the show when he has an idea for a season. He doesn't have to churn it out year after year like most shows

Does any other show have that freedom? Curb started in 2000 and it's 9th season is premiering this year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Last Chance posted:

this was a good early simpsons moment I stumbled across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGwfkAYwr0

Maybe they'll do a reference of Twin Peaks season 3 in 2 years and it'll be terrible.

https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/882682816672215040

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Whatev posted:

Randomly watched a bad episode on youtube yesterday so here is a really embarrassing bit from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kknltynNco

:sideshowbobgrumble:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just watched the new Treehouse episode and as someone that’s seen maybe 4-5 episodes past season 11, it wasn’t offensively terrible. Just meh. I hear the Treehouse episodes are better than normal ones these days so maybe that’s not the best gauge of quality. That Homer eating himself segment was pretty drat grotesque.

The voice actors sound okay to me except for Marge’s at parts, which I can understand. Doing that voice plus harsher versions of that voice for 30 years straight would gently caress anyone’s vocal cords.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aesop Poprock posted:

aside from people in this thread I don't think I know a single person who watches the Simpsons regularly anymore. I honestly can't even imagine what that demographic would consist of. Left on in rooms of coma patients maybe?

I wonder if there’s younger people that have nostalgia for like season 17 or something.:lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do they still do a lot of Apu episodes since he had kids? I thought I read here that they don’t use him as much anymore. I know there was that terrible sounding episode of him cheating on his wife.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JazzFlight posted:

I just finished rewatching the poison fugu episode and when Homer fearfully blurts out to "Marge, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" and they have tears streaming down their faces, I'm like HOLY poo poo even while knowing he's obviously not dying. And then he reconnects with his dad and they say they love each other and he puts off his other bucket list items... and this is freakin' joke character Grandpa Simpson!

The actors actually gave a crap then too, which really helped sell the scenes.

The scene when Marge thinks he’s dead in the morning still gets me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think season 1-11 are all worth watching but the show doesn’t get really good until 3 and starts to be less good at 9.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Riptor posted:

The artists care way too much about lighting nowadays

Everything looks boring and super on-model these days. It looks like everything is just pasted together from a template.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rather watch bad Family Guy over bad Simpsons. Bad Family Guy episodes can at least be interesting with how terrible they are, while bad Simpsons is usually just depressingly boring.

I can’t hate Seth MacFarlane since American Dad is still really good even after 14 seasons.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 21, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The show didn’t really hit its stride until season 3 but season 1 and 2 are much better than some give it credit for. There’s a lot of heart in some of those episodes.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some of the good episodes are pretty badly paced too but the jokes make up for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why are they suddenly trying to do gimmick direct sequels to 25+ year old episodes. Are the ratings really that bad now?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExplodingSims posted:

There are people who consider that the worst episode?

Back when it came out, yes. One of the first I personally remember people complaining about online along with The Principal and the Pauper.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fridge corn posted:

I wonder what someone who only grew up or started watching the simpsons from like season 12 onward thinks of the early seasons

I know someone like that and they prefer the older ones. They said the older ones feel “smarter”.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Simpsons poo poo posting is the only funny new Simpsons related thing in almost 20 years. Can’t wait for the show to clumsily reference it in season 31.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

wit posted:

2 teams of comedy writers. Older simpsons was funny because they were piling on like 20 jokes into the one scene. People like to point at this clip as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdz4bc2LGMM
Now they do one layer of jokes with an overarching joke. If they had one room of guys making the jokes like they currently do and then another to punch it up it would be roughly on par, although they've made nearly every joke known to man.

And make homer a flawed human being again instead of some super cool dude who doesn't give a gently caress.

Every time I’m alone on a city block in the middle of the night, I think of this scene.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Justin Godscock posted:

I really think we are going to see the cancellation of The Simpsons in the next few years with the Disney purchase. I mean, the show's future basically hinges on the contracts of the VAs and they signed a new one only a few years ago. Whenever it comes due its always an ugly battle between Fox and the VAs who are like a mini-union of themselves. Now that it's Disney at the table instead I can see them just go "we don't need The Simpsons as badly as Fox did" and let the show end.

Season 30 really should be the last.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s somehow even worse than the last one they did on Trump.:barf:

Who’s doing that Trump impression btw? It’s really bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did Simpsons ever make fun of W? I stopped watching right as he became president.

I wanna see some hack “lol monkey bush” clips.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trey and Matt seemed to think that making fun of Bush was played out so they never really did it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Riptor posted:

Yeah that's a real easy excuse they like to trot out

Yeah, libertarianism is probably the real excuse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maya Fey posted:

they made an entire sitcom about it dude

That wasn’t really making fun of Bush or his policies specifically. It was just making fun of generic sitcoms and it would have been pretty much the same if Gore won.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No animated show comes close to Good Simpsons but I think modern Family Guy is better than modern Simpsons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Data Graham posted:

Why in the christ is there an episode where comic book guy gets a Japanese girlfriend and it’s somehow more racist than anti-neckbeard

A character like that should never be the focus of an entire episode, let alone have a plot like that.:barf:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pretty good.:ocelot:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I've been doing some research, and it might actually be this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHZbnl9grI

The chicken fights in Family Guy are better than this poo poo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched the Simpsons in like 15 years. Has bart gotten into R/Redpill or R/incel or has Lisa made a feminist gaming vlog yet?

That stuff is too recent for modern Simpsons. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WampaLord posted:

It makes so many weird unnecessary choices, like having Arnold as the President instead of Rainier Wolfcastle, and having yet another "Homer fucks up and Marge questions their marriage but then Homer saves the day and learns a lesson" subplot, but it also has plenty of good jokes, so overall I like it.

Like how much plot consistency are you looking for in a Simpsons movie? I laughed a lot, I'm happy.

Also it really should have been Hank Scorpio in it instead of giving Brooks a new character.

The movie is better than most of the last 15-20 years of the show but it’s still just barely okay imo. It has a lot of weird stuff in it like showing Bart’s dick. I still don’t understand the thought process behind that idea.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That leader one is a little bit weak for the era it is from but still a pretty good episode. Have they ever tried to make fun of Scientology more directly? I’m guessing no since there’s scientologists on staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nah posted:

I saw the Simpsons movie in a packed theater full of Simpsons nerds who did a standing ovation during the opening credits. Everyone loved the movie. It was one of my most memorable theater experiences ever. 6 months later I watched it on DVD at home alone and :geno:

I had a similar experience with Snakes on a Plane. That movie sure aged well.:thumbsup: