Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've quit drinking pretty much completely over the past month, mostly because I started an antidepressant that has helped a lot with my daily anxiety, and that I had reached a point where alcohol wasn't making me feel anything other than nauseous. I started drinking a couple days a week, then just once a week, and now I've run out and I don't have any desire to buy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Get therapy so you can start drinking again.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Obligatory, "have you tried LSD?"

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been on probation for 2 years and have 2 years more.

Luckily my probation officer hasn't tested me so I get by with a little drinking but would rather be smoking weed.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

"Mr. Doctor man, I need some help with my sadbrains so I can start meaningfully drinking again"

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Smoke weed every day, gentlemen

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I wish you luck in your struggle NVJ, it's especially hard if a bad day gets you reeling

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Never start then u never have to stop

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Average Bear posted:

I know dealing with anxiety can be hard, it's easier with friends and family around. Trust me, being alone and being your own watchdog is hell. I'm glad to hear you're trying, rooting for you!

lol @ having friends and family

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What worked for me is to suddenly start getting gout flareups when I'd never had gout before that would nearly cripple me for weeks if I actually tried to enjoy myself instead of just staring at a wall and wishing I was dead.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I got multiple DWIs in my early 20s and drank until I blacked out every day. Like I couldn't stop myself after that first drink. So I had to stop and it sucks but it sucks less than knowing & not caring that I'm killing myself and ruining my wife's life.

lydia chlamydia
Sep 2, 2003
sterile sheer strips chewable morphine
A few very helpful things:

1) Naltrexone: stops cravings/slows down your drinking
2) Watching TV: I also had anxiety problems (that in retrospect were made far worse by drinking), so the rhythms of television can be a comfort and a distraction. Even re-watching something you've seen before can help. Chances are by the time you finish the second season of the show, you won't need to watch it during the times when you'd be drinking.
3) Talking with people who are also trying to quit: it doesn't have to be AA/a religious thing.
4) Start a chain and keep it going: realize that if you get to one day, you can get to two days. If you get to two days, you can get to four. If you get to four days, you can get to a week. If you've gotten to a week, that's really good and it means you can do another week after that. You have every right to be proud of whatever amount of time you haven't been drinking. If you break the chain, it doesn't mean you're totally useless or incapable or doing it. Unlike most mistakes, you get the opportunity to try again the next day and get it right.
5) Volunteer: another way to fill your time that's a little less mindless and can make you feel good about yourself.

Good luck, OP!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I did it all January but smoked 2 ounces of weed and tripped on boomers 2 times. It's easier to just drink.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been drinking every day for the past month or so (on and off for 15 years). I get my meds through the mail and the VA hosed up my naltrexone refill twice in a row so I was off of it for 3 weeks. I started taking it maybe 2 months ago and was able to stop for almost a month even though the meds make me sick and tired. Since I mainly use alcohol to self-medicate, that sober month wasn't that great but definitely better than being drunk all the time. Well, I was able to start comprehending that Trump was president and being constantly anxious, furious, and dumbfounded wasn't very fun. But I guess not drinking is better than being useless all day every day.

Basically, drinking is fun. Drinking every day when the single worst thing for bipolar is to drink isn't good. I wouldn't recommend it.

I say that as I am drinking beer this very moment. :smith:

edit: lydia chlamydia has some good advice.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
lol I recently tried to do the sobriety thing... lasted all of about 12 hours. Oh well!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Made it a month without weed, then decided to call it a tolerance break and started again

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
I was drinking vodka tonics daily for months before I realized charles shaw is where it's at. You can drink wine for days

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

In The Bushes posted:

If you keep drinking you will eventually wind up in a windowless, fluorescent-lit room with a bunch of burnouts whose only joys are stale coffee in plastic cups and going outside en masses to suck down cigarettes before returning to the sickly green room to talk about how much fun they had when they were self-defeating drunks and how everything sucks now and if you keep going to them eventually you can pick up freshly minted sober tang who'll basically fall in love with whoever offers to sponsor them because they're so emotionally frazzled that any positive attention is mistaken for love and basically who are you to say no to newly sober tang when you remember how hard it was sobering up and your junk doesn't even work properly anymore and you barely even like sex sober but you'll do it anyway if it's a scared twenty two year old who looks thirty because of all the alcohol and cigarettes because what gives you the right to make them feel rejected when all they want is to love you and so you do that for a few years and then you start drinking again and the thought of starting all that nonsense all over again a fifth time just makes you want to kill yourself until one day you do.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

take three tablets posted:

Just gonna throw this out there. Video games are way better drunk. It's the only way to play.

It's true but it makes me suck rear end at Rocket League. Like it's a game of inches and I'll keep hitting poo poo like .25 seconds later than I should and blowing the shot. Then I'm like okay well just try to hit it faster then you think you should but the brain can't seem to really do that.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Butcher posted:

It's true but it makes me suck rear end at Rocket League. Like it's a game of inches and I'll keep hitting poo poo like .25 seconds later than I should and blowing the shot. Then I'm like okay well just try to hit it faster then you think you should but the brain can't seem to really do that.

Any game with matchmaking it's not really a problem because your Elo will adjust!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice

In The Bushes posted:

If you keep drinking you will eventually wind up in a windowless, fluorescent-lit room with a bunch of burnouts whose only joys are stale coffee in plastic cups and going outside en masses to suck down cigarettes before returning to the sickly green room to talk about how much fun they had when they were self-defeating drunks and how everything sucks now and if you keep going to them eventually you can pick up freshly minted sober tang who'll basically fall in love with whoever offers to sponsor them because they're so emotionally frazzled that any positive attention is mistaken for love and basically who are you to say no to newly sober tang when you remember how hard it was sobering up and your junk doesn't even work properly anymore and you barely even like sex sober but you'll do it anyway if it's a scared twenty two year old who looks thirty because of all the alcohol and cigarettes because what gives you the right to make them feel rejected when all they want is to love you and so you do that for a few years and then you start drinking again and the thought of starting all that nonsense all over again a fifth time just makes you want to kill yourself until one day you do.

:honk:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It really depends on the game. FPSs that don't require much thinking are fine. Strategy or simulation games, not so much. If I really feel like playing Medieval II Total War, then I'll label the save game as "drunk" meaning I don't really give a gently caress how it turns out. Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars is a great drunk game. It takes like 15 seconds to reload so I can fire a round and then take a swig of beer.

Basically, anything that requires thinking and has consequences that can gently caress up the rest of your game are bad. Dumb games are good.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Average Bear posted:

I know dealing with anxiety can be hard, it's easier with friends and family around. Trust me, being alone and being your own watchdog is hell. I'm glad to hear you're trying, rooting for you!

In my case, family is the root of my anxiety and alcohol is what makes them bearable.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
Playing games while stoned turns me into a massive tryhard and it's great. I have beaten tournament level fighting game players who I've hung out with while being the only stoned person in the room, and I played most of MGSV all the way through blazed off my rear end ( I mean snake was doing it so I wanted to be cool like snake).

Alcohol sucks and it's my lame fallback when I have no weed to smoke, I drank a 2 litre bottle of cider yesterday, 10 UK units and it didn't do anything for me at all.

Alcohol for me is: go 2 days without drinking, swear off on it, have no weed, be sad, drink a bottle of vodka by myself in the span of 2 days (sometimes 1), rince repeat

How quick will this kill the average emaciated looking femgoon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
those jaws are yawing open for everybody

my drunk games story is there's goonds who play stellaris, and I would habaitually get p drunk, so every time we loaded the game i'd be like
"what the gently caress is this poo poo, the whole map is way different"
"oh yeah you didn't remember that? you were pretty drunk"
"huh."
*pounds beers*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4uLkaR8Qkg

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Sobriety is good because; It's been so "helpful" to prolonging the human species upon this dirt rock. - A Total dipshit.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you limit yourself to drinking moderately once or maybe twice a week and do light exercise every other day, you will find yourself being less of a depressed fat piece of poo poo after just a few weeks. Weed helps, and so does drinking in social circles instead of your mom's basement.
Hth

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you limit yourself to drinking moderately once or maybe twice a week and do light exercise every other day, you will find yourself being less of a depressed fat piece of poo poo after just a few weeks. Weed helps, and so does drinking in social circles instead of your mom's basement.
Hth

Stop, being, reasonable.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I'm currently blazing right now, but I think I could not if I wanted to.

Hth

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Stop being reasonable

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

In The Bushes posted:

:same:

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 6, 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Oh gods! Mods! MODS!

not really

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Psychedelics are better than booze, I recommend you try them out with a trusted friend surrounded by nature. Really, ethanol is a supremely overrated and there are better drugs to take. And if you don't want to take drugs you can exercise, have meaningful human connections, meditate, and eat real food.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Turtle Blogger posted:

Psychedelics are better than booze, I recommend you try them out with a trusted friend surrounded by nature. Really, ethanol is a supremely overrated and there are better drugs to take. And if you don't want to take drugs you can exercise, have meaningful human connections, meditate, and eat real food.

The idea is to get op away from substance abuse (i.e. Intentionally impairing yourself to escape something) not simply switch his poison. The last sentence works, though.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unpleasantly turgid posted:

The idea is to get op away from substance abuse (i.e. Intentionally impairing yourself to escape something) not simply switch his poison. The last sentence works, though.

weed isn't going to kill you and if it helps you get off of booze, isn't that worth something?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice
I'm addicted to life & love

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice
Please help it's killing me

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

500 bad things posted:

weed isn't going to kill you and if it helps you get off of booze, isn't that worth something?

Weed is better, but it comes with its own cons for sure. Op should be looking to not need soporific substances. Moving his dependency doesn't solve anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Weed is better, but it comes with its own cons for sure. Op should be looking to not need soporific substances. Moving his dependency doesn't solve anything.

Idk at least his liver won't shut down?

• Locked thread