Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I used to smoke weed every day for a few years until I realized that every time, as soon as I got baked, I would instantly realize that everything was meaningless and that I was wasting my life and all the horror of existence came flooding in, etc.

So now I just drink and maybe only get high when I'm already drunk, then it's pretty much fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
been sober for about three months now, it is frickin great and i am really happy about it

my only advice is this: every time you take a drink, really pay attention to what is happening to you. when you are drunk, really pay attention to how you feel. the next day, be completely honest with yourself about your feelings and reactions to last night's drinking.

if being sober is something you genuinely want, and you pay attention to what happens to you when you drink, and you are honest with yourself about its effects on you, you will realize that you feel a lot better when you don't drink.

if being sober isn't something that you want, don't worry about it so much, just find a relationship to alcohol that works for you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Get a bag and fill it with door knobs then scream and scream into the bag take one of the doorknobs out of the bag put it to your head and then use it to open ur mind.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nomadologique posted:

been sober for about three months now, it is frickin great and i am really happy about it

my only advice is this: every time you take a drink, really pay attention to what is happening to you. when you are drunk, really pay attention to how you feel. the next day, be completely honest with yourself about your feelings and reactions to last night's drinking.

if being sober is something you genuinely want, and you pay attention to what happens to you when you drink, and you are honest with yourself about its effects on you, you will realize that you feel a lot better when you don't drink.

if being sober isn't something that you want, don't worry about it so much, just find a relationship to alcohol that works for you.

One thing that helped me was to post on a forum that didn't allow edits or deletion of posts once they were up. I'd post things I thought were brilliant and/or hilarious, then read them the next day and often be utterly dismayed and occasionally not even able to decipher what the hell I was typing about. The embarrassment of seeing this window onto my own behavior was a pretty strong motivator to help me clean up.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nonviolent J posted:

How the gently caress do you do it, I'm trying to drink only on the weekend and its loving hard

Anxiety
Microwinky

Living in a sober environment and having a support system that understands and relates to what you are attempting to do is key imo. 12 step groups and process groups are really good ways to meet supportive people OP.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have only drank twice in 2017. It sucks and is terrible.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
It wasn't a resolution but I've been drunk everyday this year

oh pee
Jan 27, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

myDad posted:

It wasn't a resolution but I've been drunk everyday this year

yeah it's been like 6 months straight for me, and only a one month break before that

like 1,000 beers for every 3 months

e; 12 a day

oh pee
Jan 27, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

nomadologique posted:

when you are drunk, really pay attention to how you feel

actually i drink to do the opposite

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

tiltposter posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Was up to 16-18 a day. Attempting to stop tomorrow (well today, can't loving sleep).

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

The only way I've ever found to be sober is to replace drugs and alcohol with less harmful addictions. Therapeutical doses of amphetamines and other ADHD meds crush my craving to drink and use opiates far more effectively than anything else. An intense fitness regimen also helps, but not even close to the former.

The problem with this approach is that psychostimulants wreck my body over the medium-long term. Moderate exercise wrecks my body even worse in the short-medium term. I'm not convinced either option is a better sustainable choice than just remaining an alcoholic.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Ugh I want to smoke a blunt and commit other various crimes

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gonna smash a six pack of PBR and shovel some fukkkin snow after work :hellyeah:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sobriety loving sucks but people tell me if you're sober for long enough good things will happen and life will stop being terrible personally I thinktheyre all jsut Lieing fucks

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Marv Albert posted:

The only way I've ever found to be sober is to replace drugs and alcohol with less harmful addictions. Therapeutical doses of amphetamines and other ADHD meds crush my craving to drink and use opiates far more effectively than anything else. An intense fitness regimen also helps, but not even close to the former.

The problem with this approach is that psychostimulants wreck my body over the medium-long term. Moderate exercise wrecks my body even worse in the short-medium term. I'm not convinced either option is a better sustainable choice than just remaining an alcoholic.

"I'm not convinced moderate exercise is better for me than substance abuse" - this goon

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lmao at the idea that long term amphetamine usage is sobriety

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Something that helps me moderate my behaviors is remembering the time when I was a teen and one of my drunken acquaintances picked a fight w/ some ppl in the street and got brained so now he's got special needs or maybe he's dead because I don't keep up with that guy no more.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
People, you are going about this the wrong away. The problem isn't you. The problem is reality. It loving sucks.

Using drugs to find comfort and happiness is quite a natural desire. It in fact perfectly comports with the "sanctioned" use of drugs -- i.e to cure and lessen physical pain. When we use drugs for recreation, we are using it to lessen spiritual pain .

Liberal and responsible use of drugs is the real philosophical answer to all the mysteries of human existence. The problem is our perception and the demands of capitalism which drives people towards unhappiness and mental illness. To then deny them drugs is the very height of cruelty.

That said, I'm only familiar with pot, booze and adderall, and currently have a younger brother who is an alcoholic, so I have an intimate understanding of addiction. But it cannot be the answer that just because some people can't handle drug use responsibly all must then be denied freedom to do drugs.

Legalize all drugs. Not because "the drug war has failed" but because recreational drug use should be a HUMAN RIGHT.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

gonna smash a six pack of PBR and shovel some fukkkin snow after work :hellyeah:

Those better be tall cans that you're talking about, otherwise you need to step up your game.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Lupin posted:

Those better be tall cans that you're talking about, otherwise you need to step up your game.

i need to do another east van brewery pilgrimage once this hosed up weather clears up

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tiltposter posted:

that's fine, but you're not trying to quit! the op was asking how to quit.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Aging Millenial posted:

People, you are going about this the wrong away. The problem isn't you. The problem is reality. It loving sucks.

Using drugs to find comfort and happiness is quite a natural desire. It in fact perfectly comports with the "sanctioned" use of drugs -- i.e to cure and lessen physical pain. When we use drugs for recreation, we are using it to lessen spiritual pain .

Liberal and responsible use of drugs is the real philosophical answer to all the mysteries of human existence. The problem is our perception and the demands of capitalism which drives people towards unhappiness and mental illness. To then deny them drugs is the very height of cruelty.

That said, I'm only familiar with pot, booze and adderall, and currently have a younger brother who is an alcoholic, so I have an intimate understanding of addiction. But it cannot be the answer that just because some people can't handle drug use responsibly all must then be denied freedom to do drugs.

Legalize all drugs. Not because "the drug war has failed" but because recreational drug use should be a HUMAN RIGHT.

you at least started down the right track, but you got lost in the woods pretty quick.

to quit it helps to recognize something pretty simple: the spiritual basis of AA is on point. their expression of it may not be for everyone, may even be a little tyrannical, but the idea that to truly quit you need a spiritual revolution is right.

and you, aging millenial, are right to say that people use drugs to lessen spiritual pain. because it is all about the spiritual aspect.

there is no necessity to use drugs to address your spiritual difficulties. you can, of course; but to necessitate it is to overstate the case and enslave yourself to just another concrete solution. there are no concrete solutions. you just have to sit, often uncomfortably, with what is going on with you. that's about it. drug abuse is a way to avoid this uncomfortable sitting-with. drug USE can aid in this sitting, but it can quickly become a crutch.

since what is going on with you is bound to be different from moment to moment, there cannot be a single solution; the solution is always defined by the terms of the question. learning to pose the question skillfully will ease production of the solution; indeed, a sufficiently skillful question is inseparable from its solution, and produces it immediately.

well, that's about it op. if you want to quit, ask your heart to speak to you, and be willing to listen to what it has to say.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Lookie what I just found.

It's hard to describe. It's very..... thready I guess. And those threads taste like poo poo.

(it's not bad)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lookie what I just found.

It's hard to describe. It's very..... thready I guess. And those threads taste like poo poo.

(it's not bad)

loving :lol:

I love yah nooner.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i miss the flamingo

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Nonviolent J posted:

i miss the flamingo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Same. :smith:

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

Aging Millenial posted:

tell us more about how you own the solution to all the world's problems.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
The worst time is the night, especially when you start associating that time with drink time

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ra tehuti posted:

tell us more about how you own the solution to all the world's problems.

You don't own morphine, you jkust rent it.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Ork of Fiction posted:

You don't own morphine, you jkust rent it.

I don't even own my body, I'm basically 'renting it'.

Whatever damage I do to it before leaving this Earth that's dead and gay will be repaid upon my death.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nonviolent J posted:

The worst time is the night, especially when you start associating that time with drink time

:)

Look at this person that never worked an evening shift.

You're precious.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Nonviolent J posted:

Real talk; after I binge on booze, it takes one restless night (without weed) where I hallucinate and don't actually sleep.

After that I'm like a crackhead for 12 hours, then sleep like I'm bitchmade.

I don't stay sober for long

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
lol @ "exercise, that will get it to stop"

here to tell you, yeah I lift a whole bunch, but also I still drink because feeling numb is great.

also you should compulsively work because at least then you can pay for both the gym and your addiction, while also appearing like you're a functioning human being. also mindlessly plugging away at work is a great time to wallow in your self loathing pity after you go too overboard.

edit: also not intended to discourage lifting. lift heavy things! get strong! then drink/smoke yourself stupid.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Green Crayons posted:

lol @ "exercise, that will get it to stop"

here to tell you, yeah I lift a whole bunch, but also I still drink because feeling numb is great.

also you should compulsively work because at least then you can pay for both the gym and your addiction, while also appearing like you're a functioning human being. also mindlessly plugging away at work is a great time to wallow in your self loathing pity after you go too overboard.

I smoke a pack of cigs a day. I get to the gym when I can, maybe 3 times a week, run 1.5 miles and use machines.

My gym time offsets my rampant alcoholism and chain smoking, but I'm still dying.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Look....

Some people require "more" than what the basic stuff is per person.

Some people, have an, what the gently caress every day, that needs a little something extra.

They want to conform, they just need a bit more.

Is that so loving wrong?

In, this, context?

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

VendaGoat posted:

Look....

Some people require "more" than what the basic stuff is per person.

Some people, have an, what the gently caress every, that needs a little something extra.

They want to conform, they just need a bit more.

Is that so loving wrong?

In, this, context?

Conforming is not succumbing to peer pressure.

Conforming is blindly following the government and media who tell you not to smoke weed.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
the most egregious thing about your post is that you haven't moved to free weights yet

do it. it's freeing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ra tehuti posted:

Conforming is not succumbing to peer pressure.

Conforming is blindly following the government and media who tell you not to smoke weed.

Well, that depends on the laws of the land within you reside, now doesn't it?

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
yeah I feel like I need a lift buddy for that and I have turned a few down so I dk, thanks for the advice.

• Locked thread