Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yeah, I made the mistake of playing Thousand Year Door before the original, since I never had an N64 growing up, so the prologue felt really awkward and slow to start. I can understand why the designers held off throwing too much stuff at you at once - battle! And badges! And partners! - but I really would have preferred the Action Command about ten, fifteen minutes earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Charming tutorial loses its luster after four playthroughs of the game, news at 11.

But yeah, non-Kirby Nintendo games are pretty bad about letting you run through the early tutorial and get to the fun part quickly.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I don't really have an issue with waiting for the action commands, you only have to do like 4 battles before you gain access, so it isn't that big of a deal, to me.

I'll also say I enjoy the interaction of Kammy and Bowser. It's more prominent in TTYD, but even in this game, they play off each other well.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Between Twink's theme, March Ahead, and the victory jingle I really don't like this game's music that much. Maybe it just loops too quickly but it just grates.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
TTYD has the overall better soundtrack but there are some really good ones here too.

Although yeah, they are kind of short and thus loop a lot.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can whistle the victory theme. I use it to annoy my manager because it makes her wanna play it and when she gets home she can't remember what game she wanted to play

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Peach could float back down to the ground, but since Bowser has the Star Rod, he can just wish her right back up to the castle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

grandalt posted:

Peach could float back down to the ground, but since Bowser has the Star Rod, he can just wish her right back up to the castle.

You got me there!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do have a soft place in my heart for the original Paper Mario. Thousand Year Door's the highlight, of course, but there's something to the rough N64 edges that's super charming. Getting action commands to work on Virtual Console seems a lot more difficult than it used to be, though, though whether that's an emulation issue or just my 23 year old fingers not being as smooth as my 10 year old fine motor control, who can say. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

grandalt posted:

Or even worse, he would go back down into the kingdom to get her back. Not only is he invincible he gets any of his wishes granted and that would just be asking for him to make some messed up wishes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

Action commands are a large part of what make the mario rpgs much better than most

it's such a good system it makes me wonder why no-one really tried to rip it off or anything

or maybe they have and I don't know

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's such a good system it makes me wonder why no-one really tried to rip it off or anything

or maybe they have and I don't know

South Park: Stick of Truth uses it, I know a lot of people made Mario RPG comparisons before and after it came out, especially since it uses the "Main character + swappable partner" thing that Paper Mario uses.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or even worse, he would go back down into the kingdom to get her back. Not only is he invincible he gets any of his wishes granted and that would just be asking for him to make some messed up wishes.

One of the things I find incredibly charming about the entire Mario series is that Bowser is, at the same time, an actual threat and an adorable moron, it just depends on what the game calls for.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

One of the things I find incredibly charming about the entire Mario series is that Bowser is, at the same time, an actual threat and an adorable moron, it just depends on what the game calls for.

The RPG Marios, at least the ones that I've played, tend to lean toward Bowser being all harmless bluster. This works well, as there is usually a more menacing antagonist for him to contrast with.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alacron posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth uses it, I know a lot of people made Mario RPG comparisons before and after it came out, especially since it uses the "Main character + swappable partner" thing that Paper Mario uses.

ah of course, i didn't pay attention to those games cause of how poo poo south park is

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I get a very "children's cartoon movie" vibe from Twink's theme. Or maybe it's just the idea of a newbie wishing star.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

ah of course, i didn't pay attention to those games cause of how poo poo south park is

The story is still typical South Park stuff - but that game has a surprisingly good battle system. Someone did an LP of it, so you can check that out if you like.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There was a decent Steven Universe game on iOS that copped the battle system. Also, Twink's theme is sweet and adorable, which is more than I can usually say for Twink.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

South Park was pretty easy once you realize you should actively use items considering how many the game throws at you. I still enjoyed it though. If you don't like South Park, the battle system probably won't be enough to make you like the game, but it's strategic enough to complement the rest of the game well.

More games should blatantly copy Paper Mario's system.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
While not your standard battle system, if you want a charming RPG with small numbers like Paper Mario, the iOS game The Devils Attorney may also scratch that itch.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
The battle system in Ar Tonelico 2 is halfway to being similar. Attacking in AT2 isn't too far off from your bog standard menu system but defending is a mix of the Super Mario RPG systems (time your button press(es) right and you can reduce or cancel the damage of an incoming attack) and rhythm games in general (there's an onscreen indicator to help you determine when you should press the button(s) and incoming attacks vary in timing and number of hits).

If memory serves this extends to the success rate of status ailments attached to incoming attacks as well, so good timing can also mean that a cloud of poisonous gas ends up doing nothing at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

South Park was pretty easy once you realize you should actively use items considering how many the game throws at you. I still enjoyed it though. If you don't like South Park, the battle system probably won't be enough to make you like the game, but it's strategic enough to complement the rest of the game well.

More games should blatantly copy Paper Mario's system.

imagine FF5 with this system, every job could have different timing for defending and attacking and it'd be so complex and i'd love it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Toad Town

Today we're going to finish off the Prologue. But first, new NPC dialogue!

If you weren't in the mix, I don't know what kind of chance we'd have. I'm rooting for you, Mario! You've got to save the princess and everyone else!

Once we get back into the town proper...

Merlon was looking for you. He lives in that house with the spinning roof. He asked me to tell you to go meet him at his house. I was just about to go look for you, but here you are! It's rare for Merlon to call somebody over to his house... He's a bit eccentric. Even when he has visitors, it's rare for him to come out of the house at all.

Anyway, we've got our next objective. That'll wait for a bit, though.

Seen 'em? Over by the Toad House? They look nasty. I hope they don't pick a fight.

Most of the dialogue has shifted to the shady-looking Toads to the east.

quote:

Recently, it seems that Fuzzies have invaded Koopa Village and are causing mayhem. Please exercise extreme caution when visiting Koopa Village...

There's also this. I can't believe it!

Before he left, he said he wouldn't return until he was incredibly strong. He must be pretty tough by now.

We can now enter the Dojo and fight there. We'll get started on that in a bit.

They're keeping Mario from going on his adventure!
Huh? What? Really? Why are they bothering Mario? Are they nuts? There's something weird going on here--I know it.
What do you mean by weird? I, Felissa T., don't understand what's going on!

They don't look trustworthy! Beware, people, beware!

But I heard that there are weird Toads blocking the way. Who could they be?

It seems the residents here have finally noticed those weird Toads at the east entrance. Wonder what took them so long.

It's a lot of work! Aw... Look at my poor dear. I know he's sad that the castle is gone, but grieving forever won't do anything. He should try to find something that brings him joy. If you could, please say something to him, Mario.

Unfortunately, Mario can't. He's a mute and kinda has more important things to do.

Do you think it'll ever be like the old days around here?

But those trees all fell down... Now there's nothing to do.

Next, let's disappoint Luigi.

I have lots of talents, and I can jump really high and...

I don't know whether Mario's a jerk or if Luigi just pretends Mario's going to say no ahead of time so he can get out of doing stuff. It's probably the former until the Gamecube era defined Luigi into who he is today, which is the latter version now for sure.

Russ T. has some advanced controls which I'll summarize below:

* Press Z while running to do a Spin Dash. It doesn't really do anything though unless you have a specific badge or two equipped.
* Press Z in conversations to look at the previous message. Really neat feature more RPGs should have in this day and age.
* Press C-Up in the field to check stats without opening the menu.
* You can walk by slowly tilting the Control Stick.

The Dojo

Anyway, let's check out The Dojo.

There is no cowardice in choosing to run away from a superior foe. Of course, you will find some enemies that are impossible to escape, once in battle. Face them with bravery.

Yes, you can run from battles. Not much of a reason to do so right now though.

Each enemy has its own character and weak points. Sometimes you use your body... Sometimes you use your items...but always, ALWAYS you must use your mind. Sometimes you will be surprised by what's effective.

Someday what he said will actually be relevant for us.

As for the other guy...

He's The Master of the Dojo. He's been training students at the Dojo for years. My grandpa told me he's incredibly strong. He doesn't look like it, though. I think he just got back from a long journey where he trained with fighters stronger than he is. What dedication!

I am The Master. I am the head of the Dojo.

wheeze... Please pardon me. My health is rather delicate... Every day we train in this Dojo to improve body and mind. If you have the purpose and the desire, you may challenge us.

You bet we're gonna try!

Now, Chan. It is time for you to fight Mario.
As you say, Master!

Battle Fanfare

Our first opponent is Chan.

This is Chan, of the Dojo. He's training under The Master and is happy to fight us. Hammer attacks don't work well, but you can turn him over with Jump attacks. Once he's flipped over, he's easy. No mercy, Mario!

Shelled enemies usually have high defense, but jumping on them will flip them over, rendering their defense to 0 and leaving them immobile for the round.

Chan will be forced to spend his turn propping himself back upright.

...only to get flipped again. Headbonk counts as a Jump as well in terms of flipping shelled enemies.

Chan is incredibly easy between two Jumpers and Action Commands.

Chan, you must train harder. Very well. I give you this, Mario.

But we're not done yet!

Now, Lee... Let me see how you handle Mario.
Certainly, sir! I will defeat him, Master!

Battle Fanfare

Lee can mimic your current partner. In this case, Goombario.

Do I really look like that? No way... He'll use Headbonk and Tattle. He has the same skills as me. Of course, I'm much better looking and more debonair. And I hope that I'm stronger!

This is actually nice because Lee mimicking Goombario is significantly weaker than normal Lee. Mario can simply block Lee's attacks here.

Lee in his normal form...can hurt.

This is Lee, of the Dojo. He's training under The Master and is happy to fight us. He has mastered the art of disguise, so don't let it faze you when he suddenly mirrors us. Remember, he can't stay disguised forever. Don't let his strange tactics throw you off guard, no matter how many times he transforms.

Again, you actually want him to transform since he ends up weaker that way.

Lee mimicks Goombario again, and I finish him off.

Whoa! Cool! You fought your way to a Second-Degree Card? Mario, you're awesome!

Neither battle was that bad, so let's keep going!

Master Battle

So compared to the last two, the battle with The Master is...

Well...

This is The Master. He owns the Dojo--and he's the strongest member. if he's the best in the Dojo, he must be pretty tough!

You read those stats? 50HP, 6 Attack?

Yeah...We're not quite ready for this one.

We'll have to come back to this later.

Toad Town

We've exhausted the NPCs now. Let's try to progress.

Going to Koopa Bros. Fortress would be a huge mistake.
Definitely. Definitely don't go.
Most of all, though, you shouldn't go ask old man Merlon for help.

You're right, we should definitely not not do it.

Merlon's House

Alright. Let's come back later.

...How about now?

Wait a minute... That face seems verrry familiar to me...

Oh! Maybe... No... Yes! It must be! You're Mario! I've been waiting for you! You should've come earlier! Well, you're here now. Come in.

When I was reading the stars the other day, an oracle came to me. What I discovered is very important, and it concerns you.

It is a very long story, but I'll try to shorten it. Where should I start...?

......but one day it happened.
...suddenly...a great...
...appeared and I...
...standing face to face...
Then, the faraway...
the pious...
was...raised me up...
.....was amazing.
..I was still so young then...
I believed in .........
But....our hearts were.....

Huh?! Hey, Mario! Were you listening to me?

Oh...all right.

If you get lost during your adventure, you can come to me. I can predict the path you should take for a small price. Right now, your main goal must be to save Princess Peach as quickly as humanly possible, but...according to my second sight, your path must first take you to the great fortress of the Koopa Bros. To reach the Koopa Bros. Fortress, head east on the road in front of the Toad House.

Kinda hard to do that right now...

But we've got control of Mario again now, which means...

He's a stubborn and mysterious old man. His name is Merlon. He uses magical powers to look into the future. I've listened to his stories before and they're really long. I try to pay attention but...sometimes I fall asleep. Still, his fortune-telling is supposedly right on. I don't know personally, but my Goompa told me.

Anyway, if we talk to Merlon again...

That's ridiculous! Such a thing has never been heard of! Never! I'll get to the bottom of this. Follow me over there. I'll see what's going on.

Toad Town

Take off!
Hmmmm! You aren't Toads, are you?!
...Um...we don't know what you're talking about.

Koopa Bros.' Theme

How...How'd you guess it was us? We were perfectly disguised!!

At least the path is clear now.

Toad Town

You must pursue them to their hideout, the Koopa Bros. Fortress.

To get to the Koopa Bros. Fortress, you'll need help from a blue-shelled Koopa. This is a strange portent. In Koopa Village, you might find something that will clear it up.

We've got our next destination and goal! We are ready to start our adventure for real! This is where the game really begins!

AFTER I TALK TO MORE TOADS

There's a fork in the road, so watch the signs and be careful not to get lost.

You know that famous explorer by the name of Kolorado? He has a house there. He's probably not there now. I heard that he's in the field exploring Dry Dry Desert.

Kolorado...yeah, he's certainly a character.

Those no-good scheming... Dressing up as Toads to cause trouble is just plain rude. I'm lodging a formal complaint!

...To whom? Who is going to accept this formal complaint?

Merlon will nudge you where to go next for a few coins should you ever get waylaid.

Those weird Toads who were blocking the road were actually disguised Koopa Bros. Merlon saw right through them. He figured it out instantly.
Wow! That's super! Merlon is so super. Really! He knows everything.
He knows everything? So... You think Merlon can find out about the secret place where I hide candy? Oh, no! What should I do!

...Eat it?

The Mushrooms and Fire Flowers you can buy at a shop will help you survive.

Do you get paid by commission, or...

I love these two.

They fight for Bowser! There's even word that they work poor, innocent Bob-ombs like slave drivers. Mario's going to kick their shells in! Just wait! Attention, people! Listen up!

These guys really need jobs again.

Is that bad? I guess these Koopa Bros. are loyal to Bowser?

I have an idea, Mario! Why don't we give them a taste of our Mario Bros. power! I'll join you and together...

And that's it! Next time...

...we finally begin Chapter 1!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There will probably be a delay on the next update, what with some new Nintendo game or console or whatever coming out this weekend. Or if that doesn't work out, I'll probably just be lazy instead.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

These games have such a bright, cheery color scheme. Not only does it match the story, it's pleasant to look at.

It's great you're doing all the Goombario text. It's kind of crazy to have all that extra dialogue. Seems like the sort of thing where a single person on the team wrote it all up during the project's downtime, and Miyamoto liked it so much they kept it in.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I wonder if the dojo is supposed to be a reference to the dojo in Super Mario RPG?

Probably not, but I want to pretend it does since I don't think anything else does. Which is a little sad since Jinx is easily one of the best side characters in SMRPG.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if we'll ever see a Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi on mobile? I can hope, but I don't expect.

Mega64 posted:

This is actually nice because Lee mimicking Goombario is significantly weaker that normal Lee.

Mega64 posted:

Huh?! Hey, Mario! Were you listening to me?

Was this supposed to be a gif of Mario nodding yes?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I certainly hope not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Was this supposed to be a gif of Mario nodding yes?

Nah, should've done a GIF for this part though. Mario was startled awake in that scene.

This sorta becomes a running gag.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how much this game foreshadows Superstar Saga. That game is nothing but Bros. Power, burning Bros. Points left and right.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see a Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi on mobile? I can hope, but I don't expect.

The real no-hope thing I've always wanted was a Paper Luigi game, a la his hapless adventures in Thousand-Year Door.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

vdate posted:

The real no-hope thing I've always wanted was a Paper Luigi game, a la his hapless adventures in Thousand-Year Door.

When I played Thousand Year Door as a kid I was convinced that after the main game there would be a side quest where you got to see Luigi's adventures. I was sad when it didn't happen

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

vdate posted:

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

When I played Thousand Year Door as a kid I was convinced that after the main game there would be a side quest where you got to see Luigi's adventures. I was sad when it didn't happen

These are the saddest things I've read today, because they're true. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's amazing how cruel this game is with Luigi. He clearly wants to tag along with Mario but has to stay home while Mario tags along with a bunch of partners.

Also I probably won't be updating for the next week at least while I binge the hell outta Zelda.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh sure. Rub it in. I have never wanted money more than I do now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Will Nintendo make a paper mario game for the switch?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Not a good one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ten days and 70+ hours of gameplay later, I finally beat Breath of the Wild. I mean, there's still a ton more to do because of course there is, but I did all the Main Quests at least.

So maybe I'll finally get back on track. Luckily it's my vacation so I have the time to potentially pop out the next update up tomorrow or Wednesday (small chance of both even!). I'm out of town this weekend though so that'll be it until next week.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Alas, poor Paper Mario Let's Play Thread! I knew him, Mega64: a thread
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his screen shots a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those posts that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
timed hits? your gifs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the goons on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own creases? quite paper-cutted?
Now get you to my mod's chamber, and tell her, let
her doodle an inch thick, to this favour she must
come; make her laugh at that. Prithee, Mega64, tell
me one thing.

Dost thou think SquareSoft looked o' this fashion i'
the earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
geez man it's just a let's play