Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
ive been using outlook for months and using it pisses me off several times a day

before that i used thunderbird and, well, let's just say there are reasons i decided to give outlook a chance

is there anything else i can do besides sending all my accounts to gmail, which is tolerable but only slightly

holy gently caress email is terrible how does it even still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one time i screwed up an import into thunderbird and it changed all my contact names to "N:" and it's still like that for many ppl, years later.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Smythe posted:

one time i screwed up an import into thunderbird and it changed all my contact names to "N:" and it's still like that for many ppl, years later.

i can't imagine what would cause that to happen but i can easily imagine it happening

gently caress all email everywhere

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
outlook and thunderbird are fine

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

outlook and thunderbird are fine

lies and fabrications

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
what is your problem with them then

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
webmail is garbage. I use mail.app, which is sufficient for my purposes, even though it is dumb and caches the entire imap tree locally so I have 25 gigs of email in 200,000 files on every machine I own

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

several times a day outlook reverts messages to unread after i've already marked them read

sometimes i can mark something read, wait a few seconds, and watch it get marked unread again

this happens most often with gmail addresses, but occasionally happens with every address i use

thunderbird just lagged like poo poo. i think my inbox was just too big for it to handle (that's what ze said)

srsly, come at me and try to tell me all email clients don't suck without breaking face

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

DaTroof posted:

several times a day outlook reverts messages to unread after i've already marked them read

sometimes i can mark something read, wait a few seconds, and watch it get marked unread again

this happens most often with gmail addresses, but occasionally happens with every address i use

thunderbird just lagged like poo poo. i think my inbox was just too big for it to handle (that's what ze said)

srsly, come at me and try to tell me all email clients don't suck without breaking face

sounds like you're using imap, your mail protocol is a pos

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

sounds like you're using imap, your mail protocol is a pos

if pop3 worked better i'd gladly call aol and ask them to send me a cd to reconfigure my internet for me

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

email is like the most basic and oldest protocol, why is it so hard to get right??

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Raere posted:

email is like the most basic and oldest protocol, why is it so hard to get right??

why get basic messaging right when you can spend all your time getting calendars wrong instead

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

some random "mail" app showed up in my latest win10 update and it's been pretty needs suiting tbh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thunderbird is open source. if you have a problem with it, you can fix it yourself :-)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gnus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thunderbird is literal garbage. it's the proof that the Mozilla foundation was a one hit wonder.

google's imap is also garbage. can't blame outlook for that. I don't like outlook but it wasn't that bad last time I used it (which was forever ago, so they probably hosed it up by now)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
win10 mail is extremely ftw but i dont like how it doesnt import my sig from the gmail account (g apps... for biz) and also appends its own sig by default.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its wild how responsive it is. like a breath of fresh air. a fuckin program that actually does everything instantly. tyool 2017, truly a miracle of user experience

I blame Disney
Sep 30, 2016

They know what they did

The Management posted:

webmail is garbage. I use mail.app, which is sufficient for my purposes, even though it is dumb and caches the entire imap tree locally so I have 25 gigs of email in 200,000 files on every machine I own

This is actually a good thing because it means you can search for a 5 year old email message and find it in under a second unlike Outlook which tries its best to crash the exchange server while searching for old crap

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i got google apps for my domain back when it was free and boy am i glad i did, because literally every single email client is a figurative piece of poo poo!

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

i like how when my vpn times out and outlook loses its connection it won't reconnect until i restart it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

on an iphone it's the opposite. Phone will keep mails from up to 3 months and anything older well that's too bad why do you want old email.

on the other hand outlook on the iphone is nice to use so there's that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

outlook on mac or windows is weird and awful though. Why can it sync my contacts and calendars but not signatures?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The fastmail web mail is v good but the anroid app is mediocre (but Gmail app w/ IMAP is worse)

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
lotus notes

ibm notes

ibm verse

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

whomever decided system critical programs should run through notes should be hung drawn and quartered

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
op mail.app suits my occasional emailing needs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

outlook.app is not bad because the mail and calendar are in once place

using calendar.app with an exchange server on an iphone is awful

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i am using spark for macOS and it's pretty good op

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
airmail is also pretty good and it has icloud sync if you are interested in that kind of thing

there are no good email clients for windows though which is why i use thunderbird still on my desktop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lord stebe intended for us to use mail.app and it must be so

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Olivil posted:

lotus notes

ibm notes

ibm verse

web notes

burning swine
May 26, 2004

outlook express for windows XP

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eudora was the last email program I actually liked

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Outlook 2010 best Outlook

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

whomever decided system critical programs should run through notes should be hung drawn and quartered

an old workplace used lotus notes for all kinds of random bussiness apps, they had like two FTEs dedicated to maintaining that garbage :psyduck:

my current workplace uses outlook and its OK, except we upgraded to a newer version that has tons of useless whitespace instead of clear delineation between messages and a really off-putting smoothed cursor effect when typing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

notes is actually really good at some things and it makes building apps pretty easy and fast. its way better than sharepoint for some of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook express for windows XP

literally forgot that was a thing despite using it for so many years as a child. i'm ashamed

• Locked thread