Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

notes is actually really good at some things and it makes building apps pretty easy and fast. its way better than sharepoint for some of those things.

domino developer spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook express for windows XP

migrating my old firm from that thing was such a pain in the balls

stupid loving pst filesize limit

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Outlook 2010 best Outlook

p much true

outlook 2016 is basically 2010 except with obnoxious "apps" and an uglier UI

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at this point giving 50 grand to infosys or some vp's idiot son who's "good at programing" is a better option for building lob apps than sharepoint or domino

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
mail.app and calendar.app suit my needs poorly but is more responsive than anything else

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
did anyone say "outlook not so good" yet?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Postbox is aiiight

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

inbox dot google dot com suits my email needs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually, that client is a massive piece of poo poo

burning swine
May 26, 2004

outlook 2016 status:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook 2016 status:

yeah it does that for me a lot too

microsoft makes bad software

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody posted:

actually, that client is a massive piece of poo poo

gmail 2017 status: Still can't forward more than one email at a time.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

gmail 2017 status: Still can't forward more than one email at a time.

or view more than one email at a time. or view and reply to an email at the same time

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook 2016 status:

mail.app does that on my iphone sometimes too and it triggers me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook 2016 status:

i like that feature cause it makes me feel like I'm still using notes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's all really bad. exchange in particular is really bad the more stuff you try and hook it into

like these loving pieces of poo poo

https://www.steelcase.com/products/scheduling-systems/roomwizard/

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Sharepoint is a terrible product and a testament to the power of salespeople and networking
hail capitalism

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wyoak posted:

Sharepoint is a terrible product and a testament to the power of salespeople and networking
hail capitalism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bloody posted:

or view more than one email at a time. or view and reply to an email at the same time

It's easy to view and reply at the same time and I do it every single day

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

mail.app, it downloads the whole mssage and inline threading sucks, tool buttons are small, they keep removing features every feature, gigantic email storage locally you cannot change.

Pros: birthday invitations are easy!

thunderbird, designed for the 90s no calendar integration that doesn't suck, tabbed windows always break when you RDP in. (they go black in windows), slow to startup with huge email account.

pros: transferring between PCs is as easy as packing up the user folder

win 10 mail: cant open more than one email at a time, copy-paste is broken becuase UWP lol, and when you do paste in images from snipping tool, half the time they don't actually send.

pros: fast. real notifications in windows 10

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
get the best of both words. good webmail that always renders the same across platforms, and OS level inegratation, with the best consumer OS on the planet, my dudes, you know hat im talkin about, yep, its ChromeOS

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

lancemantis posted:

an old workplace used lotus notes for all kinds of random bussiness apps, they had like two FTEs dedicated to maintaining that garbage :psyduck:

my current workplace uses outlook and its OK, except we upgraded to a newer version that has tons of useless whitespace instead of clear delineation between messages and a really off-putting smoothed cursor effect when typing

we got this at work. managed to turn off the weird smooth cursor, still having to live with useless whitespace

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Real question: why do people use local email clients at all? What benefit does it have over using google/outlook/fastmail web client where you never have to worry about things breaking or desyncing, ever?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
because you have too many email accounts through several different providers and you want to check them all in one place

i just use my phone, but it sucks also

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the outlook 365 client for osx started periodically totally freezing my laptop. its a real POS

pram
Jun 10, 2001

emoji posted:

Real question: why do people use local email clients at all? What benefit does it have over using google/outlook/fastmail web client where you never have to worry about things breaking or desyncing, ever?

corporate IT helpfully installed it along with cool stuff like IBM BigFix which, when patching (cant be stopped).. incredibly uses 100% CPU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

because i need popup reminders to know when my next meeting is starting :grin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

emoji posted:

because the Web clients are, unsurprisingly, absolute pieces of poo poo

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Best I've ever used was Lotus Notes circa 2006 working for [Big Corporate top 50].

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

outlook 16 windows is frankly pretty good, but it's not good at handling large inboxes unless you archive every 6 months.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Thunderbird: Wouldn't even sync my mail boxes. Never could get it to sync/work. I guess I have too much e-mail
Outlook: I don't know, I remember it being really bad.
Mail.app: It's fine.
emClient: It's good. No weird issues, handles things well.
pine/elm: all hail RMS!

just write your own mail client in python/gtk and call it a day. if it doesn't work you have no one to blame but yourself. :dukedoge:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

because i need popup reminders to know when my next meeting is starting :grin:

gmail via chrome pushes reminders to desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmao if you get enough emails that u even think about this

pram
Jun 10, 2001

why

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Bloody posted:

because the Web clients are, unsurprisingly, absolute pieces of poo poo

How so? Must be your machine. Gmail has always worked flawlessly and is faster and more responsive somehow than these native mail clients. When I've tried to use Outlook or Mail.app sometimes across multiple commuters and OSS and years I've had to wait several minutes for 'send/recieve' or even restart the computer to make it send whatever is in outbox, and even that doesn't work until it decides to randomly work later on. So web clients are surprisingly much more superior.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

emoji posted:

How so? Must be your machine. Gmail has always worked flawlessly and is faster and more responsive somehow than these native mail clients. When I've tried to use Outlook or Mail.app sometimes across multiple commuters and OSS and years I've had to wait several minutes for 'send/recieve' or even restart the computer to make it send whatever is in outbox, and even that doesn't work until it decides to randomly work later on. So web clients are surprisingly much more superior.

you're dragging a selection box instead of checking boxes, you can handle different accounts at once, etc. i also find it annoying to miss notifications because i don't keep tabs open on pages i'm not using.

agreed though, still waiting to hear about a no nonsense cross platform client that isn't a pig.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There are two possible emails: work and personal (and you set up forwarding for your shopping and alias emails etc to your main one), and they should be as separate as possible anyway. Any other email account is not important enough to check regularly and you use mailinator for those purposes. If you have to keep up with a dizzying amount of emails for work just get a new job.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Jsmaster/WiiMail posted:

[quote]WiiMail is a simple email client for your Wii, allowing you to retrieve and send mail.
It currently supports both POP3 and SMTP, and supports using SSL/TLS over these protocols. IMAP is currently not supported, but may be implemented in the future.
Note to developers: I will also be releasing a library, which could be useful if you would like to send an email from your application (e.g. for error reporting).

Features

Send mail via SMTP
Retrieve mail via POP3
SSL/TLS
Save your settings on the SD card
Email signature
One account (for now)

it beats webtv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008