Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/829406977910517760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

This is fine.

Everything is fine.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jay Cutler to SF come on make it happen. !!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the patriots are actually going to get a first

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol I just saw that the patriots are going to have like $60m+ in cap space to work with this offseason. It's almost not even fair how well-paved their path to victory is.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/829411255622447108
Jared Goff on that “biggest bust of all time” trajectory even if his flame out isn't as dramatic as Leaf's.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Would you respect a grown adult who legit didn't know in which direction the sun rose from?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Noctone posted:

lol I just saw that the patriots are going to have like $60m+ in cap space to work with this offseason. It's almost not even fair how well-paved their path to victory is.

Well, that sounds good until you look at all the free agents they have to resign, like our 2 starting CB (Butler and Ryan), our #2 and #3 TE (Bennett and Lengel), our #2 FS (Harmon), our #1 RB (LG Blount), several members of the defensive front 7 (Long, Branch, Sheard, Hightower) and several other lesser pieces that will probably not have that big of an impact and something will probably done with Amendola's contract, cause that guy is not going to make 6mil next year.

Not saying we are not in a great position and we will win another Super Bowl if we don't sustain major injuries next season, but it's not like we have $60m+ to spend on upgrades.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fsif posted:

Jared Goff on that “biggest bust of all time” trajectory even if his flame out isn't as dramatic as Leaf's.

If you thought the NY media was bloodthirsty...:getin:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

This pleases me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, that sounds good until you look at all the free agents they have to resign, like our 2 starting CB (Butler and Ryan), our #2 and #3 TE (Bennett and Lengel), our #2 FS (Harmon), our #1 RB (LG Blount), several members of the defensive front 7 (Long, Branch, Sheard, Hightower) and several other lesser pieces that will probably not have that big of an impact and something will probably done with Amendola's contract, cause that guy is not going to make 6mil next year.

Not saying we are not in a great position and we will win another Super Bowl if we don't sustain major injuries next season, but it's not like we have $60m+ to spend on upgrades.

Blount won't be expensive after his flameout with the Steelers and if he tries to get paid he'll be sent away. Bennett is likely to get overpaid by someone else but I could see them keeping him. A lot of that $60m is going to be spent but once you look at it, it's not nearly as much as you'd think.

But yeah, that's why they traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, cause there was no way to pay everyone whose getting a payday this year.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

Blount won't be expensive after his flameout with the Steelers and if he tries to get paid he'll be sent away. Bennett is likely to get overpaid by someone else but I could see them keeping him. A lot of that $60m is going to be spent but once you look at it, it's not nearly as much as you'd think.

But yeah, that's why they traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, cause there was no way to pay everyone whose getting a payday this year.

The big advantage is that NE does not have a single really bad contract on the roster, with the exception of Amendola who can be cut relatively painless if he doesn't restructure. Other than that the worst contract is probably McClellin for $3.2m cap.

But the expensive contracts will be Butler (if they do a long term deal) Hightower and whoever else they retain on defense. Bennett will be gone if he gets >9m py somewhere else, because that's Gronks number.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gently caress yeah the bears!

fsif posted:

Who cares? Rams wr are complete trash and if all of them were cut tomorrow it wouldn't impact LAs overall skill at the position.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 8, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The chances that he's even better than Cutler are like nil.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Who cares? Rams wr are complete trash and if all of them were cut tomorrow it wouldn't impact LAs overall skill at the position.

Just saying, even his intangibles are poo poo!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

If you can't even motivate a guy on the roster bubble to show up and practice that's not exactly great.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

move the team to LA

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eagles cut Leodis McKelvin

woooo?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

fsif posted:

Just saying, even his intangibles are poo poo!

He started in week 11, under a backward thinking HC, in one of the worst offensive schemes in the NFL, with a poo poo o-line and terrible WRs. I'm not sure that's a situation anyone's "intangibles" are going to shine through.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

The chances that he's even better than Cutler are like nil.

Surely it's not a red flag that the Patriots are actively trying to trade away the #1 backup to their starter who turns 40 this year! :haw:

What I love about Cutler is how everyone ends up disappointed and hating him for being exactly what he always was for his entire career.

:argh: gently caress YOU FOR BEING EXACTLY WHAT YOU APPEARED TO BE ALL ALONG, MOTHERFUCKER! :argh:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

GaussianCopula posted:

The big advantage is that NE does not have a single really bad contract on the roster, with the exception of Amendola who can be cut relatively painless if he doesn't restructure. Other than that the worst contract is probably McClellin for $3.2m cap.

But the expensive contracts will be Butler (if they do a long term deal) Hightower and whoever else they retain on defense. Bennett will be gone if he gets >9m py somewhere else, because that's Gronks number.

That and paying players under the table so it doesn't count against the cap.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Surely it's not a red flag that the Patriots are actively trying to trade away the #1 backup to their starter who turns 40 this year! :haw:

It's really not. They can't resign him next year without cutting Brady, they can't trade him next year and get much of any value, so the sole reason not to try and trade him was if you were ready to cut/trade Brady at the end of next year (I think it's basically impossible to cut him due to the dead money hit this year). And while yeah, Brady's old, he doesn't have anything like the neck problem Manning had. He's in excellent heath so you don't really know when he's going to decline.

If Jimmy G had 2-3 years left on his rookie contract you'd be right, but he doesn't. They can't just keep him around to replace Brady in the next few years. Their options are:

(a) Plan to cut Brady at the end of next year, sign Jimmy G to a long-term contract or have him play on the franchise tag to see if he's really worth keeping
(b) Keep Jimmy G around next year and let him walk if Brady is still good, collecting a 3rd round comp pick (or getting something along those lines for trading him to another team that can use the franchise tag on him to exclusively negotiate).
(c) Trade Jimmy G now, bank the pick, hope Brisset is good (and he's still got a few years to evaluate him while waiting for Brady to decline), and probably draft another late-round flier to up the odds.

You can't really keep Jimmy G after next year AND Brady because Jimmy G is going to get paid and he's not going to stick around on a below-market salary before he gets his first big payday. Brady is already taking as little money as you can get him to take, and they can't afford both. There's some muttering that maybe Jimmy G would accept a below-market deal in exchange for a guarantee he'll be the starter but I can't imagine why he would do that: this is his big chance to be set for life, and he's going to get every last dollar now and then maybe start cutting deals once he's gotten his payday.

No matter what, it's a gamble. But it's probably why the Patriots are insisting on a first-round pick: a first-round pick is worth taking the risk next year is Brady's last good year, but a second round pick probably isn't.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 8, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

mastershakeman posted:

move the team to LA

West Hollywood Bears

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the 2 most overrated NFL players of the past 15 years are Urlacher and Cutler, sorry Bears fans

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

It's really not. They can't resign him next year without cutting Brady, they can't trade him next year and get much of any value, so the sole reason not to try and trade him was if you were ready to cut/trade Brady at the end of next year (I think it's basically impossible to cut him due to the dead money hit this year). And while yeah, Brady's old, he doesn't have anything like the neck problem Manning had. He's in excellent heath so you don't really know when he's going to decline.

If Jimmy G had 2-3 years left on his rookie contract you'd be right, but he doesn't. They can't just keep him around to replace Brady in the next few years. Their options are:

(a) Plan to cut Brady at the end of next year, sign Jimmy G to a long-term contract or have him play on the franchise tag to see if he's really worth keeping
(b) Keep Jimmy G around next year and let him walk if Brady is still good, collecting a 3rd round comp pick (or getting something along those lines for trading him to another team that can use the franchise tag on him to exclusively negotiate).
(c) Trade Jimmy G now, bank the pick, hope Brisset is good (and he's still got a few years to evaluate him while waiting for Brady to decline), and probably draft another late-round flier to up the odds.

You can't really keep Jimmy G after next year AND Brady because Jimmy G is going to get paid and he's not going to stick around on a below-market salary before he gets his first big payday. Brady is already taking as little money as you can get him to take, and they can't afford both. There's some muttering that maybe Jimmy G would accept a below-market deal in exchange for a guarantee he'll be the starter but I can't imagine why he would do that: this is his big chance to be set for life, and he's going to get every last dollar now and then maybe start cutting deals once he's gotten his payday.

No matter what, it's a gamble. But it's probably why the Patriots are insisting on a first-round pick: a first-round pick is worth taking the risk next year is Brady's last good year, but a second round pick probably isn't.

And just why the hell can't you pay Jimmy G back-up numbers?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chilichimp posted:

he has two rings! he looked halfway decent in three games this season! why not pay him starter money?

Jimmy G is not worth the bounty some desperate team is going to give NE

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

:goshawk: Jason La Canfora isn't right about anything :goshawk:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Carlosologist posted:

he has two rings! he looked halfway decent in three games this season! why not pay him starter money?

Jimmy G is not worth the bounty some desperate team is going to give NE

Why does the number of games JG played in keep growing?

He played 1.5 games as a starter and one of those games they would have lost but for a missed field goal.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That settles it, Jimmy G was always bad and should be cut and kicked out of the league immediately.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why does the number of games JG played in keep growing?

He played 1.5 games as a starter and one of those games they would have lost but for a missed field goal.

Also the Cardinals turned out to be garbage this year, and the Dolphins improved later in the year but sucked really bad to start with (1-4 start, 9-2 finish.)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

evilweasel posted:

You can't really keep Jimmy G after next year AND Brady because Jimmy G is going to get paid and he's not going to stick around on a below-market salary before he gets his first big payday.

I'd like to think the NFL would wise up eventually and this wouldn't be the case, but Osweiler and stuff so it hasn't happened yet.

Jimmy has shown even less than Brock (he has better stats than Brock in Denver but with such a stupid small sample size that it doesn't matter) and by all rights shouldn't be able to demand much, but then again we're probably going to have at least two teams begging to trade away draft picks for him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHOAH NUFF posted:

the 2 most overrated NFL players of the past 15 years are Urlacher and Cutler, sorry Bears fans

i agree on urlacher but even i, the guy who thinks cutler is not much different than matt ryan, have never considered him overrated

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Cutler could have been a lot better than he is now if he had a stable offensive coordinator to work with

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jimmy Garosweiler

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

mastershakeman posted:

i agree on urlacher but even i, the guy who thinks cutler is not much different than matt ryan, have never considered him overrated

Wait, what?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Because if he hit FA this year he'd get more than Brock. And Brock is loving set for life, which is why you don't accept below-market before you've proven you're a long-term starter.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Titans are gonna steal Alshon from the Eagles, aren't they

I'd be extremely okay with this happening. I'd rather not take a WR in the first round again this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I'd like to think the NFL would wise up eventually and this wouldn't be the case, but Osweiler and stuff so it hasn't happened yet.

Jimmy has shown even less than Brock (he has better stats than Brock in Denver but with such a stupid small sample size that it doesn't matter) and by all rights shouldn't be able to demand much, but then again we're probably going to have at least two teams begging to trade away draft picks for him.

I think that going by previous trades, the expected value of the pick, and what Jimmy has shown, that trading a second for him makes sense. He has shown more then Mallett or Hoyer, and has come on faster then Cassel (who was on pace to take a record number of sacks behind a great offensive line in the first half of 2008 before being fixed).

That's basically where I've been at since like October. I don't think Jimmy is destined to succeed, but I think you can trade a second for him, then if he's good, franchise // extend him at the end of next year, or move on if he's Osweiler.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Its not that people are stupid. It's that if you're a GM/Coach, you're not going to win without a QB, and so you're going to mortgage the future to get one. Who cares if the team is hosed in three years if it didn't work out: you're fired either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You don't remember when Cutler won NFL MVP?

• Locked thread