Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This game is such a joy to play and is so charming and beautiful. It's like Zelda but you are a dog (and it's not Twilight Princess)! I only played the Wii version and had a lot of fun in spite of the lovely controls.

I remember one of my roommates in college rented the PS2 version once and got burnt out on all the dialog in the opening scenes and just never got anywhere. There's so, so much of it holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Artix posted:

Okami is a game that I feel like I really should like but actually hate, and it's almost entirely because of the sheer length of the thing. There's at least one (probably two) points where you could have just stopped and rolled the credits, and no one would have known anything was wrong, but it doesn't. It just keeps going and drags out what would be an incredibly good and charming 20-30 hour game into an 80 hour one that wore out its welcome 30 hours ago.

I do remember it being insanely long for a game like this, yeah. I don't recall being too bothered by it though.

EricFate posted:

The only real problem I had dealt with one very specific timed puzzle and how infuriating it was to try to complete while using a Wii control. You'll know which one when you see it.

I don't remember this either but I have a feeling it will come back to me when we get there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wait I think I know now what puzzle you guys are griping about. It'll be a while before we get there but goddamn I'm glad poorlywrittennovel's playing a not-Wii version.

Edit: obligatory Ammy cosplay

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anaxite posted:

I missed the other LPs, so I'm glad you're playing through this one!

A couple things from episode 2:

天の川, the River of the Heavens that Issun mentions in video, is the Japanese word for the Milky Way. And of course, it features in Japanese mythology, such as being the celestial river that divides that deities Orihime and Hikoboshi. Their reunion is once a year, on the day of the Tanabata festival.

The Japanese names of the gods correspond pretty directly to their functions. The character that appears when they give you their power is also the first of their name.
- Yomigami is written 蘇神. 蘇 means "be resuscitated, revived". It has a corresponding verb yomigaeru, "to be revived", which is probably where the pronunciation is from.
- Tachigami is written 断神. 断 means "cutting" among a whole bunch of other things.

You also mentioned the word play for "wolf" and "god". In Japanese, the game is called 大神 (おおかみ, ookami), which is an archaic term for "god". The same pronunciation is used for the word 狼, or "wolf". Which, well, that's the game right there.

Japan has a lot of word play, in no small part due to a large amount of homophones.

Keep posting this stuff because it's pretty interesting! There are a ton of cultural and lexical nuggets in games like this that are totally lost on us gaijin. See also: Goemon

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ryushikaze posted:

His penmanship is TERRIBLE, but from memory, it's his family name.

I'd like to see you do calligraphy while wasted :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Miz Kriss posted:

Part of me was wanting to do a write up of the animals of the zodiac that inspired the 13 brush gods, but that was done in another Okami LP and I feel like that would be copying.

:justpost:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anaxite posted:

Writing and culture notes for episode 4:

The cords around trees and objects are a Shinto tradition. I'll let Wikipedia explain this again:

Here are some examples:

So yeah, all those in-game trees are holy or linked to spirits. Animism!

And then there's Meoto Iwa, the Married Couple Rocks, that has a two thousand pound rope connecting them that is ceremoniously replaced many times a year.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Faerie come on! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PhPvUPtEU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So that black border thing is distinct from actual cel shading used in Wind Waker, Sly Cooper, Dark Cloud 2, etc?

I always thought Okami looked different but I couldn't put my finger on how exactly

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anaxite posted:

Wind Waker doesn't even seem to use borders on 3d models

Phantom Ganon :colbert:

That said, I actually kind of like how the black borders disappear like in that gif you posted. It's hard to explain but it looks unnatural in just the right way to me. It probably looked much better on the lower resolution PS2.

And I forgot to mention in the previous post but using that technique is just brilliant. It really gives it a unique look.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, the shields and rosaries are the easiest to use in the Wii version. I couldn't really get the third type down at all so I stuck with the beads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Faerie Fortune posted:

We are recording today which means I'm posting another image with no context

Unfortunately googling "goat okami cosplay" didn't give any good results.

:eng101: Edit: I'm only just getting around to watching the last video so I'll give Ty some peace of mind and tell him that the severity of the hobo spider bite is still pretty undetermined. There is only one case of necrosis after a verified hobo bite and that was in a person that had a skin condition that causes chronic lesions, so it's possible they were unrelated events. The problem with definitive statements about spider bites is that bites from most species are so astronomically rare that there isn't near enough evidence to make a conclusion.

For what it's worth I spent six years of my life in your city and have never seen one despite being the kind of person that actively seeks out spiders :)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread