Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okami is a joyous video game that I love and also has some infuriating flaws, like that opening cutscene.

I have also heard it said that the PS3 version actually runs internally at some ludicrous resolution and actually downscales to 1080p. Anyone else heard this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god;

gently caress crossing things off of that list. I played the Wii version, and most of the time it just would not register. I'd loving dread doing bounty hunts just because knew it meant I'd have to try and get the name-crossing to work one more time.

One time I went to do it and realized I forgot which monster I'd killed and :cripes:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have completed my analysis and determined that video games are fascinating.

And this basically goes triple for games with distinctive art styles. This and Wind Waker are basically goldmines of interesting technical poo poo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Anaxite posted:

I'd love to know how Wind Waker fall under that category! It looks great, though I don't know much beyond "it has cel shading and lacks long loading times".

Polycount has the deets.

TLDR:
  • Wind Waker has no occlusion and renders all loaded objects, always
  • Uses inverse kinematics before Uncharted
  • The GameCube's GPU was actually astonishingly good
  • They hella cheat at casting light on Link
  • They also hella cheat at animating the ocean when you're away from islands, the boat does not move up and down but the waves animate around you and the nearby islands move up and down and the camera does things... like who comes up with this poo poo, seriously what the gently caress-

A guy on Medium is also doing a load of writeups about various Wind Waker effects, including an entire article about the ocean.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

YggiDee posted:

I probably only understood about half the words in the those writeups but that poo poo is still fascinating to me.

Though if I could just have one point clarified, what is occlusion and why is it a big deal?

Occlusion is simply preventing stuff from being drawn. (not to be confused with "ambient occlusion" which is a lighting thing)

Without going into details... game engines differentiate between what's loaded and what's being rendered; they know what stuff is around you at all times, but don't bother actually drawing that stuff unless you can see it - that way the stuff that is drawn can have more detail or more effects or whatever. Games can go to frankly obscene lengths to identify things that can't be seen and thus can safely not be drawn, to eke out every drop of GPU power available. (Crash Bandicoot, another deep vein of technical wizardry, blew everybody's minds (Sony included) by being able to occlude objects through complex-shaped textures like leaves.)

Wind Waker just goes "gently caress it" and renders everything, even stuff you can't see, because its assets are just that streamlined and the GameCube is just that good.

• Locked thread