Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah this game, I enjoyed playing it when it came out and had no issue with the length.

And Issun is basically Navi, or more accurately Tatl, if she talked to NPCs for you.

Floral Finishers are actually dependent on the enemy in question and the Fangs are used for trading.

You probably also shouldn't just ending your videos abruptly like that, it's fine if you have twenty minute videos.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

YggiDee posted:

First, I'm pretty sure you can Bloom some of those imps, I remember that every enemy has a way to get demon fangs from them and Bloom works on something. You had a green smoke effect around some of them before you slashed them.
Also once you get Bloom your plant trail turned lush and golden. Do you run faster now?

You're thinking of an enemy that's introduced in the first actual dungeon. And yes, Ammy is now able to run at her max speed.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

I love the combat music in this game. It sounds like someone in the background is having the time of their life. "Wheeeee!"

As an example.

Pretty sure that's supposed to be a demonic screech, any sound effects in the background are meant to be the noises of demons.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Gideon020 posted:

Bloom can be used on the drum goblins instead of slash if you want their Demon Fangs.

No I looked up the Floral Finishers for every enemy and it is indeed Power Slash for the Yellow Imp and in fact for all but one type of Imp we'll be seeing later. Bloom literally does nothing to Imps and is in fact a Floral Finisher for a completely different monster who is also the only one that has it as its Floral Finisher.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 12, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Pissing on demons is a good way to get fangs when you either don't know, don't have, or screw up the floral finisher. It's also a good idea to get fangs early cause of the items that is obtained through trading, the Golden Lucky Cat, draws valuables to you which is a godsend in battle.

There are other good things you can get through trading but that's the one you should focus on early.

Tyty posted:

I really could've sworn bloom worked on imps. Sorry about that. I'll try to keep my mouth shut about game mechanic stuff I remember in the future since I really don't know a ton about the game.

I've played this game multiple times and even have the physical guide for it on my bookself. I only looked up floral finishers cause the guide surprisingly didn't have them.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe that Ammy is supposed to be a grey wolf which is still appropriate for the Dog of the Chinese Zodiac as the domestic dog is actually one of the thirty-seven subspecies of the grey wolf with their binomial name being Canis lupus familiaris (Canis lupus being the binomial name of the grey wolf itself).

Japan actually has two subspecies of grey wolf that are sadly both extinct: the Japanese or Honshū wolf (Canis lupus hodophilax) and the Hokkaido or Ezo wolf (Canis lupus hattai) and it's possible that Ammy is specifically the former do to her size compared to other dogs in the game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I played the original PS2 version so I used my newest weapon during my first playthrough and stuck to the third weapon type on subsequent playthroughs.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Anaxite posted:

38:29 - The Japanese name for the boss monster is 女郎蜘蛛 (じょろうぐも/jorōgumo), which is a kind of orb-weaving spider.
女郎 is apparently also a term for a prostitute, so there's some interesting etymology.

Ah yes the Jorōgumo, a yōkai that I've actually talked about before in another LP thread where the woman spider was a boss in the game so I'll just let my past self explain for me:

Chimera-gui posted:

The other notable yōkai of this episode is the Jorōgumo who's the most well-known of the arachnid yōkai and is a golden orb-weaver that has reached 400 years of age, developing magical powers and begins to feed on human prey instead of insects. Their name is written with kanji that mean “entangling bride.” However, these characters were added on to her name much later to cover up the original meaning of the name: “whore spider.”

The jorōgumo’s favorite prey is young, handsome men who looking for love and when she spots her desired prey, she invites him into her home and he is usually never seen again. They can spin silk threads strong enough to ensnare a grown man so that he cannot escape. They also have a powerful venom that can slowly weaken a man day by day, allowing the spider to savor the long and painful death her victim suffers. They can also control other, lesser spiders, even employing fire-breathing spiders to burn down the homes of any who grow suspicious of them. A jorōgumo can operate like this for years and years, even in the middle of a busy city, while the desiccated skeletons of hundreds of youth build up in her home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
One last thing before I move on: As you can guess by my mentioning it being a boss in another game, the Jorōgumo has appeared in popular culture on a fairly regular basis with another notable example being the Digimon Arukenimon:

Which is more explicit in its official profile:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

A Demon Beast Digimon which has the appearance of the "Queen of Spiders" of Greek mythology. As the queen who presides over all Dokugumon, it is a highly intelligent and extremely cunning Digimon. It is skilled at transforming into a human-like appearance, getting the opponent to let down their guard so that it can approach and completely devour them. Also, because of its extremely short temper and ferocious personality, many Digimon are afraid of it. Its Special Moves are chopping up the opponent with razor-sharp wires (Spider Thread), and attacking the opponent with the countless carnivorous Dokugumon hidden in its abdomen (Predation Spider).

And Tyty, Bud Ogres are in fact the enemy with Bloom as their Floral Finisher.

Oh and you're wrong about the first sword being elemental, it's actually the last weapon of each type that is elemental which also why those three weapons don't carry over into new game plus whereas every weapon that comes before them does regardless of weapon type.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 12, 2017

• Locked thread