Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Evil Eagle posted:

Nice. No Swamp is always cool imo.

Swamp > Shoals for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I long for death

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Level 24 now, 2 runes and in the Vaults... I'm on a roll. I'm playing on the Georgia server if anyone wants to watch

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Good luck watch out for wardens esp on v5

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Good luck watch out for wardens esp on v5

Got the unrandart Leech, so I just popped every potion buff I had and basically tabbed floor 5 to death. It was awesome.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ended by TRJ... rip

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Average Bear posted:

Level 24 now, 2 runes and in the Vaults... I'm on a roll. I'm playing on the Georgia server if anyone wants to watch

I joined and you died 30 seconds later.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Aston posted:

I joined and you died 30 seconds later.

Haha I never fought the slime boss so I didn't expect that kind of rear end whooping. Always carry at least one blink scroll

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Got a taste for blasting, its Deep elf conjurer time

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I love this stupid rear end game

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Aston posted:

Swamp > Shoals for sure

This

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Why are you not playing trunk?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm off the wagon. Taking this HOBe all the way to D:6

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Average Bear posted:

Haha I never fought the slime boss so I didn't expect that kind of rear end whooping. Always carry at least one blink scroll

it crushed me my first time as well. He's still one of the enemies I'm most scared of.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

https://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#crawl_players

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Penis the Stickfighter (L15 HOMo of Okawaru)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Got the unrandart Leech, so I just popped every potion buff I had and basically tabbed floor 5 to death. It was awesome.

leech is a new one i guess from a version i haven't played yet

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
trivia: the_glow (in the old entries i linked) is dis astranagant, possibly the best goon crawl player. he still posted on SA until very recently...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

leech is a new one i guess from a version i haven't played yet

leech is nearly twenty years old. there are just a lot of unrands in crawl, and mostly they aren't very common

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Ended by TRJ... rip

idk what your build was but you shouldn't ever, ever try to melee trj without at least 27 fighting for the hp and really high defense, also the new acid modifiers from a few versions ago are actually meaningful and dangerous, unlike the old corossion that did nothing. trj hits really hard and of course you get swamped. AND you usually want a couple pips of resist cold cuz of the ice jellies.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

leech is nearly twenty years old. there are just a lot of unrands in crawl, and mostly they aren't very common

oh yeah i forgot about that one. ussually by the time i find it its like super late game/postgame when vampirism isn't as helpful

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

if you're a melee guy [or like an earth elementalist] don't fight trj until you're in the corridors and then haste/might/finesse/potion of intelligence yourself and go ham don't berzerk yourself tho because a million jellies will kill you when u faint

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
trj tipz:
  • fight in a corridor so that you don't get completely surrounded
  • be willing to use buffs and consumables
  • don't get so fixated on the kill that you fail to escape if things get nasty

there are also some goofy tricks you can try, like using ?immolation after a few jellies pop out, or comboing ?vulnerability and /polymorph. lots of room to play around with alternate techniques, even as a melee char

oh yeah i forgot about that one. ussually by the time i find it its like super late game/postgame when vampirism isn't as helpful

ya, it's not the most exciting one. (though it's less boring than it used to be!)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

PleasingFungus posted:

trivia: the_glow (in the old entries i linked) is dis astranagant, possibly the best goon crawl player. he still posted on SA until very recently...

welp i was wondering what happened to that guy

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I have an actually viable Deep Elf Fighter run going on lol. Got Maxwell's Patent Armor (+15 plate, no casting or teles) on D3.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Can someone tell me about choosing when to train which skills? Like if I'm playing something super simple like Kobold Berserker.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can someone tell me about choosing when to train which skills? Like if I'm playing something super simple like Kobold Berserker.

Get your weapon skill up first. A few levels is fine until you can hit at a reasonable rate. Then train your armor or dodging skills to ensure you can survive a bit longer. If fighting is still low, get a few levels in that. Then get your weapon skill up to the level it needs to be to get the minimum attack delay. Check the weapon to find out what that is.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks, that helped me with my best attempt yet.

Got to Floor 6 of the Lair. It was getting scary so I read a scroll of teleportation and ended up in a tight cave with a bunch of death yaks on one side, and a catoblepas on two others. Welp.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm the best goon crawl player.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

beogh is bae

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I just had a vine stalker wanderer with ring of regen, amulet of regen, troll skin armor, and regeneration spell. He's gone now...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

But he'll be back soon?

EDIT: Is there any pseudo-ID, or are magic weapons and armor always described as 'runed' or 'glowing' or whatever?

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 15, 2017

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

But he'll be back soon?

EDIT: Is there any pseudo-ID, or are magic weapons and armor always described as 'runed' or 'glowing' or whatever?

yes, and artifacts are always described like jewelled or whatever and highlighted white in the inventory. they don't self id tho (unless its an unrand like the plutonium sword). USUALLy wield id'ing is safe but sometimes you wield a weapon with the banish brand oops.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I tried playing this again too. Everyone is pissed at all the changes but I cant tell the difference

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

But he'll be back soon?

He's dead. He's in hell forever.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

I tried playing this again too. Everyone is pissed at all the changes but I cant tell the difference

Here's the only change that annoyed me: Orc is only 2 levels deep now.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Pewdiepie posted:

O_o..... I liked killing 10000000 orcs

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

He's dead. He's in hell forever.

His vine ghost is going to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pewdiepie posted:

Did they at least make it so there isn't a 90% chance of Saint Whatever and his motley crew of 200 Orc knights camping all 3 staircases.

• Locked thread