Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Robot Randy posted:

have you tried caves of qud?

I just started messing with Qud and it's very cool but also really weird. Everything is much different than most games of this type. Still, I had a fun time blasting hyena men with my eye lasers until I was eaten by a puma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Qud sounds really cool but I always hesitate to buy Roguelikes when there are nine million free great ones

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

There's a free version on their site. It just doesn't have the tiles and sounds, I think.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i'm not sure if the ascii version has any of the content from the last ~2 years of dev.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Qud is pretty cool

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
qud is a startlingly accurate depiction of life in indiana. the starting village and a town in indiana share a name and similar lifestyles of their inhabitants, and upon arriving you find the only things there are to do are bring broken pieces of poo poo to a meth addict for him to take apart or help the rednecks figure out what's eating their crops. if you help the meth junkie by bringing him enough stuff to ride out the rest of his high, he then sends you to a nearby structure to acquire a quantity of copper, presumably for him to sell as scrap to continue the circle of meth.

eventually you realize there's nothing more for you in the small insignificant shithole of indiana/qud, you can then wander out into the barren wasteland of the midwest and die alone and afraid

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
thats my review of qud

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
qud b cool

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

the new god is good if you do eight shots before you play because it rewards: accidentally walking past enemies, trying to walk into walls, accidentally closing the gap into an enemy to give them the first attack

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

the new god is good if you do eight shots before you play because it rewards: accidentally walking past enemies, trying to walk into walls, accidentally closing the gap into an enemy to give them the first attack
sounds like my kind of playstyle

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone have some 'get better at the early game' advice? Most of my characters get to the Lair or Orcish Mines but generally die to simply being overwhelmed. I hate fiddling with fiddly things so I haven't played any casters yet, but I feel like that might give me some escape options.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
whenever you meet enemies walk back towards the stairs a ways

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Play a gargoyle and be invincible or resistant to like, everything.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone have some 'get better at the early game' advice? Most of my characters get to the Lair or Orcish Mines but generally die to simply being overwhelmed. I hate fiddling with fiddly things so I haven't played any casters yet, but I feel like that might give me some escape options.

Aston posted:

There's a few simple things you can do to improve quickly, namely make sure you fight in areas that have been explored and kite enemies towards them when you discover them; use O for movement as that will stop you as soon as you find an enemy; use exclusions on dangerous enemies (I think the command is Shift+X, then move the cursor over them and press X) and that makes sure you won't wander into their line of sight by mistake; make sure you're manually training skills in the way someone said earlier (first main damage source, then survivability is a good rule of thumb); and if you're in a dangerous situation make sure you take all the time you need and consider all options and moves carefully.

Some races and classes are much easier than others as well - Hill Orc or Gargoyle Berserker is a good straightforward combination and has the benefit of starting with a god so you don't need to worry about choosing one later on.

e: I find the game's difficulty curve is strange in that most of the time it's pretty easy with sudden extreme spikes that can arise very unexpectedly.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

Play mummy chaos knight and spam wait on the D1 down stairs for 500,000 turns.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

EDIT: Nevermind this was already covered

Is Fighting as important as weapon skill? Once I hit the weapon speed cap should I keep going into fighting, or switch to some combination of Armor/Dodge?

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 20, 2017

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Just died because I kept doing flips over berserking polar bears.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Is this just a troll? For sale, only 1203 coins on floor 9.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
this is in the learndb for apropos randarts and it owns
The -1 scale mail of Useu {Stlth--} (u - a +0 orcish plate mail)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

The tradeoff is you will have trouble using plate armor effectively without good strength and/or armor skill. Expect to fumble a few attacks until you can get your armor up. Slaying is always a great thing to have, and is pretty rare. Could make up for the loss in accuracy while you train.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I did it!!! My first win, with 4 runes (abyss, spider, shoals, and vault)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
grats! I'm here to tell you you are not actually obligated to go for a 15 rune now, despite what a lot of people think. mostly just an endurance test

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

As far as I can tell there's no cure mutation potion or mutation resist in the game anymore. How are you supposed to deal with mutation in the lategame?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

grats! I'm here to tell you you are not actually obligated to go for a 15 rune now, despite what a lot of people think. mostly just an endurance test

15 rune is garbage!!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

I did it!!! My first win, with 4 runes (abyss, spider, shoals, and vault)

good job

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

its good if you're a fighter and bad if you're a deep elf conjurer or a spriggan. bye

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pewdiepie posted:

As far as I can tell there's no cure mutation potion or mutation resist in the game anymore. How are you supposed to deal with mutation in the lategame?
mutation potions remove some(a couple?) mutations while also giving you some more. after taking one or two you generally end up better off.

alternatively, zin, jiyva

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
15 rune is fun cause you get to fight bosses.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The orc sorcerer shouts!
The orc sorcerer shouts, "You can't withstand my power!"
_The orc sorcerer points at you and mumbles some strange words.
Your +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} reflects the Paralyse!
_The orc sorcerer suddenly stops moving!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

World Famous W posted:

15 rune is fun cause you get to fight bosses.

may i remind you of the hours of wandering around pointlessly you do in pan and abyss
and the amount of time you spend rushing through six (why) levels of hell... four times
and the amount of time you spend stairdancing in tomb/crypt

CRAWL SUCKS

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yeah... but bosses. They are fun.

Abyss is worse than hell and pan.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
abyss is better bc it's shorter(and has better flavor), and can be done as 3rd rune

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hours of abyss wandering? I don't think so Tim.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I started playing Sproggiwood and it's all right. it was really obviously designed for tablet/phone as the UI has giant playskool style buttons and the tap compass is on by default even on the PC version

Wish I could play it on my phone

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
.20 Is out

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is old as gently caress but I just saw this and

PleasingFungus posted:

trivia: the_glow (in the old entries i linked) is dis astranagant, possibly the best goon crawl player.

Yeah I'm none of that. I last played Crawl in like 0.7 or something and have maybe 3 wins to my name. Back when DDNe turned heavy armor axe jerk was a near guaranteed 5 rune game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

HOLY poo poo!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you splat now the FBI will be showing up at your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dead to going down some stairs and getting double teamed by fannar and basilisks. Frozen->Stone->Tele'd not far enough away and dead :/

• Locked thread