Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I dont like it nemore and the design decesions they make are consistently bad. Why are these europeans consistently removing player options and trying to balance a single player game. Some of the new gods are good tho, and also shortening some of the terrible branches like vaults that was a real blast when it was 8 lebels full of yaktaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

It's my favorite one OP, although I haven't played much since .14 or so. I knocked out 3 15 runers when I was really in to the game.

Have the Hells or Pandemonium changed much since then? Is Tomb still a huge pain in the rear end? I want to get back in to it badly, maybe now is the time.

They added some demon spawn monsters to pan around that bersion but other than that the posst game is still miserable. Tomb is still a pain unless youre a necromutating guy with fstorm or dispel undead amd patience. Bye.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

However I played it for 100s possinly thousands of hours from .9 to .15 and did a bunch of tournaments 3 and 15 runes and now i feel nauseous thinking about the ascii character set so my perspective may be slightly skewed its probably fine for newbehs who havent played the game way to much.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Got 2 runes so far with my vampire enchanter, the furthest I've gotten yet. Shoals and spiders.

Good luck. Personally after the vaults changes i find abyss much safer for a 3rd rune after lair branches.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Good luck watch out for wardens esp on v5

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Got the unrandart Leech, so I just popped every potion buff I had and basically tabbed floor 5 to death. It was awesome.

leech is a new one i guess from a version i haven't played yet

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Ended by TRJ... rip

idk what your build was but you shouldn't ever, ever try to melee trj without at least 27 fighting for the hp and really high defense, also the new acid modifiers from a few versions ago are actually meaningful and dangerous, unlike the old corossion that did nothing. trj hits really hard and of course you get swamped. AND you usually want a couple pips of resist cold cuz of the ice jellies.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

leech is nearly twenty years old. there are just a lot of unrands in crawl, and mostly they aren't very common

oh yeah i forgot about that one. ussually by the time i find it its like super late game/postgame when vampirism isn't as helpful

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Haha I never fought the slime boss so I didn't expect that kind of rear end whooping. Always carry at least one blink scroll

if you're a melee guy [or like an earth elementalist] don't fight trj until you're in the corridors and then haste/might/finesse/potion of intelligence yourself and go ham don't berzerk yourself tho because a million jellies will kill you when u faint

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

But he'll be back soon?

EDIT: Is there any pseudo-ID, or are magic weapons and armor always described as 'runed' or 'glowing' or whatever?

yes, and artifacts are always described like jewelled or whatever and highlighted white in the inventory. they don't self id tho (unless its an unrand like the plutonium sword). USUALLy wield id'ing is safe but sometimes you wield a weapon with the banish brand oops.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ristolaz posted:

I tried playing this again too. Everyone is pissed at all the changes but I cant tell the difference

its mostly the same but i'm sick of playing the game also, tbh. some of the new gods sound fun tho. i really liked the god of nothingness or whatever from a few versions back that was the last version i really played. used him to win a tournament random combo pick troll ice elementalist or something by sacraficing an arm and some literacy. but i gained the power to jump around AND shout at the vault 5 entrance, which made them all depressed and suicidal

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Garry Parrish posted:

Did they at least make it so there isn't a 90% chance of Saint Whatever and his motley crew of 200 Orc knights camping all 3 staircases.

saint roka was pretty rare in orc 4 my man

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my favorite part about orc is the loot is usually garbage and the exp is too! gently caress you! at least in elf 3 there's usually some good stuff and you get a poo poo load of exp for murkin elves

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lmfao

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it doesn't matter. the tiles are fine and mostly look okay, and actually give u a bit more information than the terminal version, like a small minimap and some other stuff. i usually prefer to play online thru putty and ssh [the text version] tho because i know all the symbols already but i don't know what the tiles mean hehe. also webttiles is a little laggy sometimes in my experience, of course if u download it thats not a problem

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

theres a cat race u can pick thats a magical cat and in the tiles version u can choose from a bunch of cat tiles to represent your cat. my lone cat win in version .10 or .9 a long time ago was with a cat that looked like garfield. SO tiles has that over the text version

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah always play online

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Player ghosts can be pretty dangerous, however.

they're all newb ghosts on d5 99% of the time, so if you get killed by it you are also a newb

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

well consider it a gift if a ghost firestorms you on d7 then

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

grats! I'm here to tell you you are not actually obligated to go for a 15 rune now, despite what a lot of people think. mostly just an endurance test

15 rune is garbage!!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Average Bear posted:

I did it!!! My first win, with 4 runes (abyss, spider, shoals, and vault)

good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is this just a troll? For sale, only 1203 coins on floor 9.

its good if you're a fighter and bad if you're a deep elf conjurer or a spriggan. bye

• Locked thread