Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
National Signing Day 2017 is over! 'Bama wins, what a twist!

24/7 Composite Final Rankings
    1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Georgia
    4. USC
    5. Michigan
    6. FSU
    7. LSU
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Auburn
    10. Florida
And last year's top 10:
    1. Alabama
    2. FSU
    3. LSU
    4. Ohio State
    5. Michigan
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Georgia
    8. USC
    9. Auburn
    10. Clemson
It's almost like the same teams are the best recruiters every year...

What is the best part of following recruiting?
The name game, bar none. Not only do you find out the members of the all-name team years before everyone else, you find out about the ones that may or may not contribute. See: the thread title.

Recruiting sites:
While this thread is a great resource for keeping up with recruiting on a national level, if you want to follow a specific team, you probably want to subscribe to one of the three main services (Scout was recently purchased by 247, and will be migrated to the 247 platform).

The main issue with picking which service to follow is the school to which you owe allegiance. For VT, for example, 24/7 is currently king of the mountain, but it wasn't all that long ago that Rivals was. So do your research before dropping any of your hard-earned :10bux: just to be on the bleeding edge of recruiting info.

Which kid gives my team the most fantasy recruiting points?!
Early watch lists are out now, they're all guaranteed to change quite a bit over the next year as new players emerge, more well-known ones drop in the rankings, and kids move up. Everything is dynamic and constantly in flux. That said, here's the early overall rankings:

Oh man look at all that social networking these kids are doing!
Please god don’t interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. It’s fine to follow them if they’re publicly tweeting or whatever, but don’t be a terrible creeper.

Things to follow during the spring/summer:
    Spring Games: For many schools this is a huge recruiting event, and can draw a crowd that'd be considered huge for a game day at smaller schools.
    Junior Days: Time for the fresh crop of next year's recruits to hit campus, take in practice so they can see what they're getting themselves into coaching wise, and get a feel for their top schools.
    Camps: Recruits also come to camp to be seen competing. A great opportunity for less-scouted players to have a shot at a scholly or a walk-on offer.
Hope you're all ready for the chase for mediocrity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Alabama will recruit the #1 2018 recruiting class. Thank you.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My cousin is a QB in this year's class so I hope it's a good year.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

5* thread title, imho.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

5* RB Lorenzo Lingard to the U.

Early but i'll take it.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

His cousin who's a 2020 kid also committed, and talks all miami but I'm not even going to name him because it doesn't even really matter until the year of the next presidential election.

3* DT Nesta Silvera commits. Kid has good tape and is the type of DT that coach kool loves.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSU has picked up two 5 star players which makes them the early #1 class?

I'll take it

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://247sports.com/player/daniel-faalele-46037283

:stare:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
His knees will explode at the ripe old age of 24.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

drat growth hormones in food these days, Jesus Christ

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol love to see that random Mizzou hail mary offer in there.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I first heard about that guy when Michigan had their satellite camp in Australia and I honestly thought it was some kind of prank, like the Australians found some giant 40 year old guy to pretend to be a recruit

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
There was a guy in my awful rural league that was allegedly 7' 400 pounds and he was terrible. Poor kid could barely move

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

That's practically my adopted kid. He has a huge feature coming up in Sports Illustrated in the March 6 issue, too. In the meantime, this was a really good story on him from last month: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...iting-sensation

The most intriguing thing about Daniel is that he hasn't played a single snap of football in an actual game. But he also has so little exposure to college football, that when he talks about his offers he will rattle off Alabama and Michigan as nonchalantly as Hawaii and Fresno State, without a hint of irony.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you had never paid attention to football an offer to go live and play football in Hawaii would be way more exciting than one from Alabama or some cold rear end big ten city

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

If you had never paid attention to football an offer to go live and play football in Hawaii would be way more exciting than one from Alabama or some cold rear end big ten city

If you don't like winning, sure.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Good job not reading the first part

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Good job not reading the first part

I read it - I may have misunderstood it. I understood it as accepting the offer.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

MourningView posted:

Oh hell yeah. That's a no-contest right there. Although based on Instagram, I'd probably give Arizona State a go.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

He doesn't even look fat, not at all. He's just a giant.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yo if you are that tall, weight that much, and look like a giant instead of a big fatty, you should be required to go into professional wrestling. that man has a great future of throwing people large distances while wearing a racially insensitive costume ahead of him

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

DC Murderverse posted:

yo if you are that tall, weight that much, and look like a giant instead of a big fatty, you should be required to go into professional wrestling. that man has a great future of throwing people large distances while wearing a racially insensitive costume ahead of him

this feels very very true

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Oregon has six 4-star recruits this year (usually it has maybe two), but one of them just decided to go out-of-state to Notre Dame. Guess his family must be really Catholic.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

predicto posted:

He doesn't even look fat, not at all. He's just a giant.

He's only about 20% body fat. It was part of his last weigh in, which puts him at the low-end of what is considered normal for a healthy adult male. We're really trying to get him down to around 380, because we don't want him to lose his flexibility.

Although for a photo shoot this week we finally let him put some heavier weight on the bar, and he was hang cleaning 290-pounds with almost no effort. Just before that he was working with 265, and he told one of the coaches "With the cameras I don't want them to think I'm weak." So we had to remind him to be careful how he talks about that, because his teammates (one of whom is 6-8, 375 Evan Neal) struggle with weights he tosses around like they're nothing. He really has no concept of how incomparably strong he is. Taron Vincent is the only one who can match him in the weight room (for now), and Taron looks like a little kid side-by-side to Daniel.

Once the story is closer to publishing (Mar. 6), I'll post a pic I took of Daniel side by side with Taron and RB TJ Pledger.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doronin posted:

He's only about 20% body fat. It was part of his last weigh in, which puts him at the low-end of what is considered normal for a healthy adult male. We're really trying to get him down to around 380, because we don't want him to lose his flexibility.

Although for a photo shoot this week we finally let him put some heavier weight on the bar, and he was hang cleaning 290-pounds with almost no effort. Just before that he was working with 265, and he told one of the coaches "With the cameras I don't want them to think I'm weak." So we had to remind him to be careful how he talks about that, because his teammates (one of whom is 6-8, 375 Evan Neal) struggle with weights he tosses around like they're nothing. He really has no concept of how incomparably strong he is. Taron Vincent is the only one who can match him in the weight room (for now), and Taron looks like a little kid side-by-side to Daniel.

Once the story is closer to publishing (Mar. 6), I'll post a pic I took of Daniel side by side with Taron and RB TJ Pledger.

:staredog:

The espn article described that he had limited training background, yet he's hang cleaning close to 300 with nothing to it? Like, ignoring the lunacy of the weight number, just the idea of being close to 400 pounds with the bend to do that is just....

Please tell me there's a package for him at like NT where he just throws the C backwards hoping to hit the ballcarrier in the backfield. Like, I really want to see what he does when he's trying to tackle people, not just blocking.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheGreyGhost posted:

Please tell me there's a package for him at like NT where he just throws the C backwards hoping to hit the ballcarrier in the backfield. Like, I really want to see what he does when he's trying to tackle people, not just blocking.

That's a good idea. The team is going on a big bus trip to a bunch of colleges this week, but I'm going to throw that out there and see if they'll at least try it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Doronin posted:

That's a good idea. The team is going on a big bus trip to a bunch of colleges this week, but I'm going to throw that out there and see if they'll at least try it.

Michigan had plays like that for Michael Onwenu this year as a true freshman. I *think* he got up to 380 this year, but was still quick. He is going to be a starting offensive guard this year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Orlando is about an hour or so north. If I was IMG id be worried about Triple H kid napping him in the middle of the night and bringing him to NXT.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

C. Everett Koop posted:

Orlando is about an hour or so north. If I was IMG id be worried about Triple H kid napping him in the middle of the night and bringing him to NXT.

lol, funny you should mention that. One of our former staffers is a talent scout at WWE these days, so we've been conscientious about that. Luckily Daniel isn't interested until he's exhausted football.

That said, holy poo poo (I'm ignoring the false start): https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/835904884364935168

Really can't wait to see what he does in spring ball against Xavier Thomas every day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It looks like a DB lined up at DE lol

Do we know who that is he lined up against? I'm curious how big he is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think he's going to struggle a lot when pads go on and he loses leverage often.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Crotch Bat posted:

I think he's going to struggle a lot when pads go on and he loses leverage often.

He's a project for sure. But this spring once the pads go on he'll have to figure it our quick against Xavier Thomas, Taron Vincent, Stephon Wynn, Nolan Smith and TK Chimedza. So we'll know for sure by the end of May. The IMG schedule is going to be obscenely difficult, but his biggest challenge is going to be Monday through Thursday at practice. He already got a crash course this past fall having to try and block Josh Kaindoh (FSU signee).

Also, I clearly forgot how Sports Illustrated dates their magazines and Mar. 6 means that he'll be in the magazine this week, on newsstands this Wednesday, I think.

So here's that picture of him alongside two five-star players...

Doronin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doronin posted:

So here's that picture of him alongside two five-star players...

So for comparison's sake #2 is what size if you can say? Like close to 6' and 220 or so?

It's crazy that the giant dude doesn't even look fat, he's just large. A very large person.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Grittybeard posted:

So for comparison's sake #2 is what size if you can say? Like close to 6' and 220 or so?

It's crazy that the giant dude doesn't even look fat, he's just large. A very large person.

#54 is 6-foot-3, 288-lbs. That's Taron Vincent, five-star DT. His dad is former Eagles safety Troy Vincent.

#2 is TJ Pledger, five-star RB and is 5-foot-8, 195.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ah that's a lot saner than I was thinking at least. Still, Christ that guy is big.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Aside from a bunch of other 2018 recruits, Miami picks ups grad transfer CB Dee Delaney, a FCS all-american who had a mid-rounds NFL grade. Our defense might be really, really scary again this year.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dilber posted:

Aside from a bunch of other 2018 recruits, Miami picks ups grad transfer CB Dee Delaney, a FCS all-american who had a mid-rounds NFL grade. Our defense might be really, really scary again this year.

At the rate Miami is going, I think they'll land another player or two from IMG. Richt is loving killing it right now. Ton of momentum, they're being really aggressive, and unless they have a really garbage season, I don't see it wearing off anytime soon. Of course it's March and a million variables can happen, but they're white hot right now.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Richt has never struggled to recruit.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

People have said he's had a hard time recruiting good OL and a bunch of good WR.

So far so good.

I'm expecting 10 wins this year, and making a playoff push in the next 2 years. We have a super easy schedule this year, but I don't think our QB play will be good enough to make a push this year, mainly because we face FSU in Tally week 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Yeah he has always had talent and been able to put a team together, there were a few head scratcher moments (on-line) but completely changing offensive philosophy in terms of blocking, gap coverage, and all that crap just showed the the line we had really excelled in Bobo and Richt's more finesse based game rather than Schotty and Cheney's power power power game.

• Locked thread