Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Dilber posted:

People have said he's had a hard time recruiting good OL and a bunch of good WR.

So far so good.

I'm expecting 10 wins this year, and making a playoff push in the next 2 years. We have a super easy schedule this year, but I don't think our QB play will be good enough to make a push this year, mainly because we face FSU in Tally week 3.

Richt's always had a ton of good WRs on his team they just don't catch any passes until they're in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yes, recruiting, the true Achilles Heel of Mark Richt; not getting out coached by inanimate objects

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Richt is good at most coaching things because he's a really good coach

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Mark Richt is good at most coaching things because he's a really good coach

He never gave UGA the National Championship they so rightly deserve so he can't be that good

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
The SI Article about IMG"s preposterously large lineman just dropped here.

The best parts of the article:

- Picture of what a blocking sled looks like next to him
- The story of him playing punch and hold technique and somehow grabbing the defender's collarbone hard enough he went limp
- Brent Venables asking him to stand by the door because his staff wouldn't actually believe how large he is.

Seriously, play him at T and let him destroy people in a pro-style offense run like Harbaugh or Shaw, or give me the blood I want and make him a 0-tech who just collapses both A-gaps every single play.

Alternatively, let him go to Hawaii and watch Mountain West coaches shake their heads trying to block him with O-lines averaging like 280 and D-lines averaging 250.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheGreyGhost posted:

The SI Article about IMG"s preposterously large lineman... .

To add, this is the player he turned into a "five-star projectile."

Josh Kaindoh was one of the top two or three among DEs in the country for class of 2017. Josh is 6-foot-6, has a bodybuilder's physique and was about 265 at the time.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 8, 2017

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The IMG boys went on a campus tour bus trip last week to five schools. Talked to a few of them yesterday to hear how the visits really went..

Georgia - Hands down the best visit of the five. Kirby Smart made a great impression on everyone, and the entire team felt like the staff cared about them. Isaac Nauta also came out to visit with everyone and the kids were excited about that.

Clemson - Pretty similar to Georgia, actually. Everyone came away pretty happy and had the red carpet rolled out. Also got to spend some time with Shaq Smith (honestly, one of my all-time favorite people I've worked with).

Wake Forest - Not much to report. They arrived, they saw some stuff. "It was nice."

Tennessee - Everyone liked the facilities, but weren't able to point out much that stood out. One of them told me that the facilities were all that really separated it from Wake.

South Carolina - This went very badly. The USC staff, after inviting the team to stop by, acted as if it was an inconvenience that they were there. With 70 kids on the tour, they only took 6 of them on an actual tour (I know Xavier Thomas and Faalele were two of them, not sure on the others), and told everyone else they could "play around" in the indoor facility. So they literally just sat there playing on their phones for several hours and never met the coaches. Several of the higher ranked underclassmen were insulted because Muschamp and co. didn't even know their names. And on top of that, they held up the team bus after holding Xavier aside for an additional 15 minutes alone.

So in the end, Georgia and Clemson actually helped themselves. They appreciated Tennessee's hospitality. And South Carolina probably helped themselves a bit with Xavier, but really made a bad impression on the rest of the bunch.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Haha, that SCAR info.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doronin posted:

The IMG boys went on a campus tour bus trip last week to five schools. Talked to a few of them yesterday to hear how the visits really went..

Georgia - Hands down the best visit of the five. Kirby Smart made a great impression on everyone, and the entire team felt like the staff cared about them. Isaac Nauta also came out to visit with everyone and the kids were excited about that.

Clemson - Pretty similar to Georgia, actually. Everyone came away pretty happy and had the red carpet rolled out. Also got to spend some time with Shaq Smith (honestly, one of my all-time favorite people I've worked with).

Wake Forest - Not much to report. They arrived, they saw some stuff. "It was nice."

Tennessee - Everyone liked the facilities, but weren't able to point out much that stood out. One of them told me that the facilities were all that really separated it from Wake.

South Carolina - This went very badly. The USC staff, after inviting the team to stop by, acted as if it was an inconvenience that they were there. With 70 kids on the tour, they only took 6 of them on an actual tour (I know Xavier Thomas and Faalele were two of them, not sure on the others), and told everyone else they could "play around" in the indoor facility. So they literally just sat there playing on their phones for several hours and never met the coaches. Several of the higher ranked underclassmen were insulted because Muschamp and co. didn't even know their names. And on top of that, they held up the team bus after holding Xavier aside for an additional 15 minutes alone.

So in the end, Georgia and Clemson actually helped themselves. They appreciated Tennessee's hospitality. And South Carolina probably helped themselves a bit with Xavier, but really made a bad impression on the rest of the bunch.

Thanks for the info, these are basically exactly what I would have guessed based on the reputation of the teams, it's nice to know that sometimes those stereotypes are dead on

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Did they stop by Wake Forest because it was on the way?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Not everyone even at IMG is a blue chipper. Some of them would probably love an offer from Wake.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not everyone even at IMG is a blue chipper. Some of them would probably love an offer from Wake.

Yeah. And Wake has been recruiting well by Wake standards. Nowhere near on the level of the others but we're on the way up within our own sphere. I'm shocked the dudes even all visited and I'm glad it didn't go like poo poo. :shobon:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mike_V posted:

Did they stop by Wake Forest because it was on the way?

Kim Jong Il posted:

They went to Wake on account of the academics, really. IMG has more kids than anyone realizes who aren't so worried about football, but using football as a way to get into a better academic program than their GPA alone might get them accepted to. For example, one of the receivers, Will Huggins, is on a mission to lock down the highest adjusted GPA in school history.I think he's going to do it, too.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is that Wake was the only school that didn't use marketing gimmicks like giving them chachkies or the photo shoots in team uniforms. They didn't want the kids to get a false impression of what they offer.

And KJI, you're exactly right. If they would've had time, they wanted to drop by Duke, too. Same reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo everyone click this right now

E: and yeah, Wake is slowly building themselves up into a pretty nice little niche where they know they're not going to be world-beaters in football (or really any athletics) but could reliably be a 7 win team with a fantastic academic record. Basically make them the Northwestern of the ACC.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 14, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Eh it's all about the coach. That's what Grobe had going, albeit when the ACC is down. I'm sure Clawson will keep doing well and someone will try to poach him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Eh it's all about the coach. That's what Grobe had going, albeit when the ACC is down. I'm sure Clawson will keep doing well and someone will try to poach him.

Grobe cratered by the end of his tenure. But generally yeah I guess.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Really good 4* WR Mark Pope commits to Miami. With a name like Pope, he was always a take for richt.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Akeem dent just decommitted from Miami. Top corner

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

pillsburysoldier posted:

Akeem dent just decommitted from Miami. Top corner

2019 kid. Makes sense since it's looking like we're bringing on 7 kids this year.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

And one of the 7 also committed yesterday.

good rear end 4* Safety/CB Gurvan Hall commits to Miami.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
5* DT Taron Vincent to Ohio State over FSU.

Super stoked to have another DT. Only worry is that he looks more like a 3-tech than a 1-tech which is where the vast majority of the guys on the roster already are.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TheGreyGhost posted:

5* DT Taron Vincent to Ohio State over FSU.

Super stoked to have another DT. Only worry is that he looks more like a 3-tech than a 1-tech which is where the vast majority of the guys on the roster already are.

Who cares

It's not like they throw the ball in the Big 10.

Just line up a poo poo load of nose tackles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

Who cares

It's not like they throw the ball in the Big 10.

Just line up a poo poo load of nose tackles.

that isn't what a 3 tech is

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MourningView posted:

that isn't what a 3 tech is

yeah i just reread that :doh:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

South Carolina people seemed convinced Xavier Thomas is committing to Clemson this weekend at our Spring game. Clemson people are putting a wet blanket on it. The meltdown on their 247 board is great though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Apparently Mac was focusing on the 2019 class this whole time. 6 recruits so far (2 this morning), all 4 star recruits and except one who has yet to be ranked yet.

Florida has the #1 2019 class so far hehe

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

lamentable dustman posted:

South Carolina people seemed convinced Xavier Thomas is committing to Clemson this weekend at our Spring game. Clemson people are putting a wet blanket on it. The meltdown on their 247 board is great though.

:smug: Just need to get Zamir White to finish off the top 3

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/godschild3_/status/851169886785110016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Woulda thought he used up his eligibility before that 10 year NFL career.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT has a QB commit this class who just beat Darrius Heyward-Bey's school record in the 100m. :stare:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
5* DE Micah Parsons decommitted from Penn State.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

korrandark posted:

he's heading to Ohio State.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

korrandark posted:

Regnevelc posted:

he's heading to Ohio State.

I want to die and take Urbz with me

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
4* DE Brenton Cox committed to Ohio State

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Oregon is doing something.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Jordanis posted:

Oregon is doing something.

I'm​ probably one​ of the few posters here that cares so I'll just say that I'm pretty stoked about the recruiting abilities of the new staff and hope the results on the field follow suit.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The recruiting front at IMG is really dull because nearly everyone is committed somewhere. But after last week's draft, several uncommitted OL who were really high on the Big XII are really thinking again on heading to any of those schools. It's the first time I actually noticed NFL Draft results having any influence on the kids.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doronin posted:

The recruiting front at IMG is really dull because nearly everyone is committed somewhere. But after last week's draft, several uncommitted OL who were really high on the Big XII are really thinking again on heading to any of those schools. It's the first time I actually noticed NFL Draft results having any influence on the kids.

That's odd. I mean, I'm not aware of many OL that were graduating from the Big XII. It looks like there were only 5 that the NFL graded. I know of 1-2 more, but it just wasn't a big OL class for the league...

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think he means the kids don't think that the BIG12 is a path to the NFL compared to actual conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

dphi posted:

I'm​ probably one​ of the few posters here that cares so I'll just say that I'm pretty stoked about the recruiting abilities of the new staff and hope the results on the field follow suit.

I also care, but pretty much same. "So far, so good-at-least-compared-to-last-year."

• Locked thread