Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

kayakyakr posted:

That's odd. I mean, I'm not aware of many OL that were graduating from the Big XII. It looks like there were only 5 that the NFL graded. I know of 1-2 more, but it just wasn't a big OL class for the league...

I mean your average high schooler is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
4* QB DeJuan Ellis de-committed from VT like 4 days ago and re-committed today in an incredibly weird recruitment. In a bizarre turn, this is a QB who actually sees himself as a WR or DB at the next level and was concerned he wouldn't be able to play those positions at VT. I'm assuming wires were somehow crossed and Fuente basically gave him carte blanche as to what he wants to do because he came back into the fold tonight. Usually with QB/ATH it's the other way around where they want to play QB.

Recruiting is dumb.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Crotch Bat posted:

4* QB DeJuan Ellis de-committed from VT like 4 days ago and re-committed today in an incredibly weird recruitment. In a bizarre turn, this is a QB who actually sees himself as a WR or DB at the next level and was concerned he wouldn't be able to play those positions at VT. I'm assuming wires were somehow crossed and Fuente basically gave him carte blanche as to what he wants to do because he came back into the fold tonight. Usually with QB/ATH it's the other way around where they want to play QB.

Recruiting is dumb.

Same thing happened to OSU with Tristen Wallace like a year ago. Urban thought they could coach him up as a qb and fix his accuracy, ended up that he went with Oregon instead to go play receiver

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

Same thing happened to OSU with Tristen Wallace like a year ago. Urban thought they could coach him up as a qb and fix his accuracy, ended up that he went with Oregon instead to go play receiver

You may have dodged a bullet, he's since been kicked out of Oregon.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

dphi posted:

You may have dodged a bullet, he's since been kicked out of Oregon.

Wasn't he one of those guys that everyone saw this coming a mile away?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

What year did Major Applewhite pull this guy from? Also, in what year did they spell football with three Ls?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Korranus posted:

What year did Major Applewhite pull this guy from? Also, in what year did they spell football with three Ls?

LOSS LOSS LOSS

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Korranus posted:

Apparently the 2016 regular season

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Also, the early signing period was confirmed. The new (early) National Signing Day is December 20th and the window closes on the 22nd.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Wisconsin got a commit for a QB name Chase Wolf. Good name game.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Korranus posted:

Also, the early signing period was confirmed. The new (early) National Signing Day is December 20th and the window closes on the 22nd.

The best part of this is that recruits can take officials in April now.

The rest of it kinda sucks.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/MarkRicht/status/863106085862989825

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee picked up a commit from 4-star QB Adrian Martinez out of California.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Apparently, Texas Tech is where Iowa offensive cast-offs transfer to. This season will feature Nik Shimonek and Derrick Willies as well as now grad transfer Derrick Mitchell Jr.

Tech's RB depth chart is a mess, so he might have some more luck with playing time than he did at Iowa.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

http://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/wisconsin-pulls-scholarship-qb-recruit-2017/

Wisconsin commit says Chryst pulled his offer after he tweeted he'd gotten a Georgia offer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

http://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/wisconsin-pulls-scholarship-qb-recruit-2017/

Wisconsin commit says Alvarez pulled his offer after he tweeted he'd gotten a Georgia offer.

I think that's more accurate

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What the hell, why? I can almost understand after the kid commits somewhere else, but just an offer? Dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

What the hell, why? I can almost understand after the kid commits somewhere else, but just an offer? Dumb.

He...tweeted about it so he isn't loyal? I guess?

I swear college coaches might be the most touchy people in the world.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Kinda sorta doubt what happened here is what really went down and NCAA rules basically ensure everyone will only ever believe the kid since the coaches can't address it until after the fact. It's not out of the realm of possibility for this to happen as coaches have yanked offers for stuff like visiting while committed but I just can't buy into it happening for a benign tweet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah. A lot of the kids tweet every offer they get. It's so novel to several of them that even Florida Atlantic is looking at them. There's a local who's getting a ton of offers from major schools and he's acknowledging and thanking even the Troy-sized offers on Twitter.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wisconsin commit says Chryst pulled his offer after he tweeted he'd gotten a Georgia offer.

https://twitter.com/benbryant_7/status/863571965294129152

https://twitter.com/Ted_Ruxspin/status/863577880185495554

https://twitter.com/HarbaughWeTrust/status/863584871373000704

https://twitter.com/QuackingTiger/status/863587486886313984

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Kinda sorta doubt what happened here is what really went down and NCAA rules basically ensure everyone will only ever believe the kid since the coaches can't address it until after the fact.

I believe the kid even more now.

Shame about those NCAA rules that constrict coaches from defending themselves attacking kids though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh he was committed, I didn't realize. This all makes way more sense then.

They definitely didn't remove his offer because of the tweet, that was just the bullshit excuse because they found out they didn't like him as a QB after all and had been distancing themselves for some time. Schools do this all the time although usually the kids pick up the hint by the lack of communication and start to look elsewhere on their own. I'd guess in this case since its the QB position UW couldn't afford to wait for him to put it together that they didn't want him.

Schools do this all the time, usually in the case of early offer/commits that don't pan out like they thought for one reason or another. At least the kid has time to find another school he likes and I'm sure if he can get UGA or UW offers he'll have no problem getting in somewhere good.

Grittybeard posted:

I believe the kid even more now.

Shame about those NCAA rules that constrict coaches from defending themselves attacking kids though.

I believe it now, too. I originally didn't know he was a commit which is why it confused me.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 14, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Isn't Georgia a better offer anyway?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Korranus posted:

To a neutral observer. Wisconsin was probably that kid's dream offer; he's crushed. In the long run he may be better off but he wants to be at UW.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Korranus posted:

He would probably be a career clipboard holder at UGA if he came; Eason will be on board for 2, maybe 3, more years, and then Fromm fro either 1 to 2 years depending on Eason.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

He would probably be a career clipboard holder at UGA if he came; Eason will be on board for 2, maybe 3, more years, and then Fromm fro either 1 to 2 years depending on Eason.

The Matt Cassel Trajectory

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The problem is offers don't mean poo poo nowadays though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Korranus posted:

Georgia had fewer people drafted than west Georgia.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Go ahead and read this, everyone

http://thespun.com/college-football/person-posing-as-football-recruit-managed-to-catfish-reporters-fans

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Saw that brought up a couple days ago, very unimpressed. There's no real payoff and tricking recruiting site reporters, who are essentially just random people who write about recruiting not actual reporters with the time, ability, and resources (or conviction) to vet all their info, isn't really proving anything.

This is like calling the National Enquirer with a tip about Bat Boy and getting them to put it in the magazine for that week. They could have done more with this, I think.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2017

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
To CB's point, recruiting writers with actual journalism experience or talent are few and far between. But simply on the fact that it's such a copy-cat business and writers, even across rival networks, share so much information that I can't believe more than one guy fell for it.

Although all the Florida based writers are dished so much bullshit from players and/or handlers so frequently that it's not surprising it was a South Florida guy to debunk it. Andrew Ivins is one of the good ones.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

FizFashizzle posted:

Georgia had fewer people drafted than west Georgia.

Likelihood matters too

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

4* NC WR Tre Turner commits to VT.

Supposedly portends a couple other kids following him to VT. KJ Henry seemed excited but VT fans know better than to think a 5* DE would choose us.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 1, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Doronin posted:

To CB's point, recruiting writers with actual journalism experience or talent are few and far between. But simply on the fact that it's such a copy-cat business and writers, even across rival networks, share so much information that I can't believe more than one guy fell for it.

Although all the Florida based writers are dished so much bullshit from players and/or handlers so frequently that it's not surprising it was a South Florida guy to debunk it. Andrew Ivins is one of the good ones.

Ivins isn't actually that good. He aggregates a lot of info from places, but doesn't validate it as he should. Probably the best one i've seen is Peter Ariz, and he covers Miami only. He's actually gotten picked up in a couple news papers and radio shows as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

4* NC WR Tre Turner commits to VT.

Supposedly portends a couple other kids following him to VT. KJ Henry seemed excited but VT fans know better than to think a 5* DE would choose us.

Should get a 4* LB and 4* CB from it, most likely very soon and probably more, those 3 were just considered more of a package deal of sorts. Was important to land Turner as VT went all in on a #NC2VT campaign this year and whiffing on NC kids would look bad but the staff's actually really good at it and has gotten a bunch of quality players from there in recent years.

Turner's like a top 150 national prospect and the first big "star" to want to come play for Fuente (because why wouldn't you).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Teradja Mitchell commits to OSU. Kinda figured he was bound for FSU so that is a nice surprise!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'm pretty sure the only way you're beating OSU for a recruit right now is if Urban decides to back off. I'd love to see how many "top 2/3" battles they lose this year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

::looks at our LB coach::

Yeah....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone wanna guess how fat he is when he gets to school? Supposedly he's a soft/pudgy ~250 so far as an incoming freshman linebacker.

• Locked thread