Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Condumb
Oct 25, 2012
Great big rear end = OSU LB all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So in the past day, UGA has had 2 comitments for the 2018 class. Some people were worried because there was a lack of star-power in this class, but considering the monster class the 2017 one was, this was always going to be a small class anyway.

4-star offensive guard Warren Ericson, which is a position of need even though this last class had a ton of o-line talent
2/3-star (depending on service) cornerback Rachad Wildgoose, which is a top tier name.

Wildgoose will be interesting considering that if you give a drat about overall star ratings, he seems like a head scratcher. Some of the UGA messageboards are gnashing their teeth saying that he is like 114th at his position why isnt UGA getting top 10 at his position. It would be great if he was one of those diamond in the rough guys and played bigger than both his size (5'10") and rating.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We've had a really nice week of recruiting.

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/871019045641957376

2018 safety Amari Burney also picked UF over tOSU a few days ago.

Cool and good that Mac is actually recruiting early now.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

So in the past day, UGA has had 2 comitments for the 2018 class. Some people were worried because there was a lack of star-power in this class, but considering the monster class the 2017 one was, this was always going to be a small class anyway.

4-star offensive guard Warren Ericson, which is a position of need even though this last class had a ton of o-line talent
2/3-star (depending on service) cornerback Rachad Wildgoose, which is a top tier name.

Wildgoose will be interesting considering that if you give a drat about overall star ratings, he seems like a head scratcher. Some of the UGA messageboards are gnashing their teeth saying that he is like 114th at his position why isnt UGA getting top 10 at his position. It would be great if he was one of those diamond in the rough guys and played bigger than both his size (5'10") and rating.

UGA fans attitude over what they "deserve" never ceases to amaze or make me laugh.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah it's pretty sad tbqh. Then again, message board fans for all teams are a special level of crazy, especially on pay sites

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah it's pretty sad tbqh. Then again, message board fans for all teams are a special level of crazy, especially on pay sites

There's also gotta be some correlation between the most obnoxious fans being ones that didn't go to the school. Maybe I saw it more because I lived in Atlanta for so long but I felt like the ones that were most vocal about them deserving a NC or whatever coach, etc. didn't go to the school.

Most of the guys I knew that actually went to the school, and I'm not specifically talking about UGA, were pretty level headed.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Wildgoose is pretty good, we briefly had him as a commit before his recruitment blew up. Going over ratings from months ago before the sites did their homework is dumb.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Aggies got a 4 star safety and DE on the same day for 2018; remains to be seen if Sumlin will be there to capitalize on it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Wildgoose is pretty good, we briefly had him as a commit before his recruitment blew up. Going over ratings from months ago before the sites did their homework is dumb.

I also know that the more you camp, (generally) the better your ratings can get because you can get more exposure, so I don't know if he hasn't done a lot of those camps. I don't have access to the UGA pay sites anymore because the guy whose account i was borrowing to read their forums let his account lapse and i'm to cheap to pay to follow SUPER INSIDER NEWS that is mostly BS anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
These are getting to be a bit much

https://twitter.com/DeleAdeoye20/status/871522634449604608

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/acoker2k19/status/871764368572076032

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Our 2019 class is so good already. Humping the shark is the best recruiting move Mac ever made.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kids these days think this kind of stuff is fire emoji fire emoji fire emoji however so it's only going to get worse

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
drat, was hoping he'd choose Mizzou. They're gonna whiff on a lot of their 4-5* in-staters this year, aren't they?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/872265519688163328

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I just don't see him coming to UGA. 2 pro style QBs, Eason has 2 more seasons with us, Fromm takes a redshirt this year and has 2 or 3 as starter, so I don't see any big QB recruit this cycle.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Justin Fields decommits from PSU, which is a surprise to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

I'm shocked they have any commits at all. They're a top 5 class right now, and who are these kids who are like "I want to go to that school where they hosed all the young boys"?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm shocked they have any commits at all. They're a top 5 class right now, and who are these kids who are like "I want to go to that school where they hosed all the young boys"?

Kids dont give a poo poo about that, plus when that all went down was what.... 6 years ago? They were in 6th grade.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Eltoasto posted:

His supposed handler, a UGA fan on a Georgia messageboard, has been saying so for the past couple weeks.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, Fields de-committing has been coming for awhile now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fields, Parsons,... gently caress off Franklin

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Can't hurt he made the Elite 11 finals for the Opening which will raise his already well positioned rankings. Enjoy the process kid.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Korranus posted:

Kids these days think this kind of stuff is fire emoji fire emoji fire emoji however so it's only going to get worse

I actively discourage the kids at IMG from making these stupid videos. We've only had a single kid participate in one since these dumb videos became a thing. And even then, I asked him to go home and do it because we wouldn't have any part of it. I just think they're tacky as poo poo, and if you have even a 0.1% chance of flipping, then it makes you look like an idiot.

I got a call from a pretty major site last year wanting to know if I could talk Kellen Mond into doing a trick shot commitment - wait for it - from a loving hot air balloon. I only told them that if they ever ask for a hot air balloon again, they'd never make another video on campus. That was the third time they asked about something involving a balloon like that.

Most of these things start with click-hungry sites covering offseason camps, and talking the kids into thinking anyone will be impressed with it. So odds are, yes, it'll probably get bigger/dumber as time goes on

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Trick shot bros from A&M?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT got a commitment from 3* NC CB DJ Crossen today. Former UNC commit, should be a good one for us at a position of huge need.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Doronin posted:

I actively discourage the kids at IMG from making these stupid videos. We've only had a single kid participate in one since these dumb videos became a thing. And even then, I asked him to go home and do it because we wouldn't have any part of it. I just think they're tacky as poo poo, and if you have even a 0.1% chance of flipping, then it makes you look like an idiot.

I got a call from a pretty major site last year wanting to know if I could talk Kellen Mond into doing a trick shot commitment - wait for it - from a loving hot air balloon. I only told them that if they ever ask for a hot air balloon again, they'd never make another video on campus. That was the third time they asked about something involving a balloon like that.

Most of these things start with click-hungry sites covering offseason camps, and talking the kids into thinking anyone will be impressed with it. So odds are, yes, it'll probably get bigger/dumber as time goes on

Haven't encountered any ridiculous recruiting stuff yet, though I cover an area of mostly small, rural schools.

National Signing Day brought out the most overblown thing I've seen.

Tiny middle/high school in out in the sticks had five signing, two with Florida State, two with middling Division II programs and one with a junior college.

The signings took 90 minutes in a schoolwide assembly. We had to have:
- The JROTC bringing in the flag
- Cheerleaders to lead out the players
- A student leading the pledge
- The National Anthem from the high school band
- A student-led invocation
- Words from the principal
- A student to describe National Signing Day
- The coach to introduce the parents
- A local DJ to introduce the players
- The coach to further introduce the players
- Each player to speak
- Finally, the signings

I'm citing this from a slick program that was distributed. The only thing missing was videos, which I assume the system was too poor to own any editing software.

By contrast, the much larger school took five minutes after school to conduct its pair of signings. They also had a player sign with a pretty decent Division I school.

The local school finally has a legit D-I prospect who's gotten offers from most of the SEC (including Bama), FSU and Oregon. I'll see how ridiculous this gets. Hopefully not too bad as the coach lets kids have fun but has no tolerance for bullshit.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Mostly decent weekend for VT.

Commits from: 3* DT Cam Goode from DC, 3* DE Eli Adams from South Carolina, 3* OL John Harris from GA. Both the DL are short, but very much fit what Bud Foster likes to do with his DL, so I imagine they'll be fine in Blacksburg. The OL was top of our board remaining for interior OL, and is our first committed this class at a position of huge need, so that's nice.

On the negative side, 3* WR Bryce Thompson, who should likely be a 4* based on pure talent, decommitted from VT and seems unlikely to be able to enroll in any P5 school.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, Thompson is unfortunate but he probably wouldn't have qualified anyway so much ado about nothing. I like Goode, indifferent about the DE, but really like Harris.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
OU just flipped top 100 player Ron Tatum from Texas. No worries with stoops retiring it looks like.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jimbo Fisher's camp attracts people from loving Connecticut, wow

https://twitter.com/joshnewberg247/status/875106491476447233
Offers from Iowa, UNC, Toledo. Will probably get more

Justin Fields is there now after what felt like a pit stop to Auburn and he's throwing and its good I guess

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Illinois has five commits. None of those players have an offer from another power 5 school. Hah.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

gvibes posted:

Illinois has five commits. None of those players have an offer from another power 5 school. Hah.

Tech just got a commit from a 2* DT whose only other P5 offer was Kansas State.

But he also plays more than half his snaps at RB for his HS team. At 6'1", 270 lb.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So, Tech's picked up 10 commits in the last 11 days, including 4 today.

That's the upside.

The downside, well, let's list out the commits + their best offer:

Alan Bowman - 3* QB - Houston, Illinois
Corey Fulcher - UR WR - No other offers
Myron Mitchell - 3* WR - No other offers
Gabriel Douglas - 3* WR - Indiana (only other offer)
Troy Bradshaw - UR OL - Tulsa
Clayton Franks - 2* OL - New Mexico
Weston Wright - 3* OL - Air Force
Jabari James - UR Ath - Tulsa (only other FBS offer)
Jaylon Hutchings - 2* DT - Kansas State
John Graves - 2* DE - Colorado State
John Scott - 2* DE - Kansas State
Cameron Valentine - 3* DE - Navy (I guess)
Mekhi Garner - 3* S - Navy

That's some cruitin' right there.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al blades Jr officially commits to Miami on Father's day. There's been a blades on most of the teams that either won a championship or laid the groundwork for one.

Dilber fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 19, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Toledo-then FSU QB commit now flips to UNC

https://twitter.com/jaceruder/status/876924689758781440

Good for him. Guess FSU is all in on Justin Fields

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

uh i think you'll find that unc is now QB university thanks

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

uh i think you'll find that unc is now QB university thanks

Only if it's dry out!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nur_Neerg posted:

Only if it's dry out!

I've seen drier swimming pools than that loving game.

Mitch was basically Titus playing blitzball out there. Except he sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I've seen drier swimming pools than that loving game.

Mitch was basically Titus playing blitzball out there. Except he sucked.

Just messin' with ya, but I do have to say I LOVE crazy inclement weather games. Stayed in the crowd bodypainted for a game in Blacksburg my freshman year against TAMU that had a hurricane pass through, was far too much fun (and far too cold).

• Locked thread