Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
PYF Internet Video Reviews: I want my BlipTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LFK posted:

Closed in 2015

Ah, that's a pity. Last I heard the dude was planning to franchise, but it obviously fell through. Don't really keep up with him outside of ZP. :v:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Has anyone bought/borrowed copies of the films featured in Best of the Worst? I must admit I've been tempted by Xtro and Dangerous Men. Anyone else?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

On my phone but everyone should check out Grand Illusions. Dude loves old toys.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lonos Oboe posted:

I have wondered many times over the last year or so why Yahtzee doesn't just go onto Patreon and do his schtick there and make the 12 grand a month or however much Jim Sterling makes.

I figure it's two reasons.

1. The Escapist "owns" his Zero Punctuation ip. As I heard that some other shows that were cancelled could not go on and continue with their own work on youtube.

2. Jim Sterling works like a mule to put content out and who the gently caress wants that?

Any thoughts on that one?

I think 2's a big part of it. At the moment, he's got a steady gig paying his bills, leaving him free to make games and stuff without worrying too much about whether they'll be commercially viable. I remember on one of his Drown Out videos he was saying he really enjoyed the freedom of being able to make a game that was exactly what he wanted without other people involved, taking as long as he wanted. Sounds like a nice level of creative freedom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Has anyone bought/borrowed copies of the films featured in Best of the Worst? I must admit I've been tempted by Xtro and Dangerous Men. Anyone else?

I've had Thunderpants since I was younger because it had Rupert Grint in it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen Xtro due to it being recommended by a bunch of people in the horror movie thread. They were all pretty into it but the only part I really like is that one really memorable shot of the car driving by and the alien appears briefly on the side of the road.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Thew's Awesome Transformers Reviews: It's a guy named thew who usually makes videos reviewing Transformers toys and has the highest frequency of alliterations, puns and portmanteaus that you'll find in any review show. It's awesome.

Super Eyepatch Wolf: An anime... critic? Most his videos are him giving really good recommendation videos on why you watch [insert anime here]. He's also made other types of videos, like what makes a villain feel great and what makes Junji Ito's work such good horror.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

ROTOR has an amazing ending that they don't even mention in their video.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I saw Dangerous Men before BOTW. I've seen a lot of the ones they liked, and I've seen Double Down.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

For anyone who hasn't already got RLM on their subscribe list, here is the new re:View of Starship Troopers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kunster posted:

Doctor Sparkle 's Chrotendo, a rather ambitious project to review every Nes and Family Computer game around. The Lo-Fi aesthetic and the incredibly chill presentation has been growing in popularity for several years. Atm his youtube is a bit disorganized, so a link to his rehosted videos on the Internet Archive is advisable

He has a side channel where currently he's reviewing the Video Nasties. As it's Dr. Sparkle it's excessively researched and still very chill.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My favorite reviewer is this guy I discovered a few months ago, Joseph Anderson. He does long form (and I do mean long) discussions about games, mostly focusing on plot and gameplay.

Here's a great example, a long rear end Fallout 4 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For anyone who hasn't already got RLM on their subscribe list, here is the new re:View of Starship Troopers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

One of the most delightfully subtle things about the fascist society of Starship Troopers is that everyone in Buenos Aires is a white American. Their entire world is a post-genocide ethnostate.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

edit: nvm

For example, if Hbomb has a largely non-political video than I think it would be fine to share it here. Yes, how do you define "political" etc etc.... It is easy enough for newcomers to find political takes on X, Y, Z just by internet searches and following links etc. They don't need our help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

One of the most delightfully subtle things about the fascist society of Starship Troopers is that everyone in Buenos Aires is a white American. Their entire world is a post-genocide ethnostate.

Verhooven filmed it much like what that kind of society would film a story like that.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
hey horrible poster cyron here i am wondering if we can bring up internet critics/podcasters who review wrestling. i recommend any podcast from Kevin Mahon like the attitude era podcast and how2wrestling. https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

i feel their a good mix of jokes and when poo poo goes down that is horrable they call it out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I watched RepliGATOR because I was curious if it was as bad as they said.

It's worse.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

It's probably safe to say we've all watched Space Mutiny. I'd like to see Xtro too. That seemed pretty cool.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

LordZoric posted:

It's probably safe to say we've all watched Space Mutiny. I'd like to see Xtro too. That seemed pretty cool.

the only reason we can watch space mutiny is because we had a guy and his 2 robot friends making fun of it.

Cyron has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Feb 13, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

WampaLord posted:

My favorite reviewer is this guy I discovered a few months ago, Joseph Anderson. He does long form (and I do mean long) discussions about games, mostly focusing on plot and gameplay.

Here's a great example, a long rear end Fallout 4 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs

He also went back to it to talk more about the game and the DLCs, including outlining all the ways Nuka-World is poo poo

https://youtu.be/jVyjRhSX92E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyjRhSX92E

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
anyone know what happend to total biscuit? i first rememebr him with his wow video's on the release to the cata expansion and last i follow him he join that movement that should not be named, and i stop following him since.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He just put out a video looking at two mediocre 40k games that recently were ported from mobile to PC

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Cyron posted:

hey horrible poster cyron here i am wondering if we can bring up internet critics/podcasters who review wrestling. i recommend any podcast from Kevin Mahon like the attitude era podcast and how2wrestling. https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

i feel their a good mix of jokes and when poo poo goes down that is horrable they call it out.

Seconding this.

If you don't like Wrestling I'd still say check out the AE podcast as it's really funny and the guys have a great chemistry together. You don't need any real knowledge on the subject as they explain it all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did anyone do a good review on the Bye Bye Man yet?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

Did anyone do a good review on the Bye Bye Man yet?

Red Letter Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1m3rGh6DUI&t=1383s

Brad Jones and Allison Pregler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0t9wcqIG1w

Nyx Fears and Night Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__fxBha_1N4

Pick your poison

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thank you, dad. Much appreciated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best part of Brad and Allison's Bye Bye Man review is what is clearly Phelous just sitting in the backseat behind Brad but off camera and never saying anything so it's super loving creepy.

At least as assume that was Phelous. Allison, if you read this thread alongside the RGD one, can you confirm or deny that that was indeed Phelan in the car with you guys?

nine-gear crow has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Feb 14, 2017

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

The best part of Brad and Allison's Bye Bye Man review is what is clearly Phelous just sitting in the backseat behind Brad but off camera and never saying anything so it's super loving creepy.

At least as assume that was Phelous. Allison, if you read this thread alongside the RGD one, can you confirm or deny that that was indeed Phelan in the car with you guys?

There's no one sitting behind Brad.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Probably already posted but I'm loving Harshlycritical and MrKraven. Both mostly do jumpscare type horror games but play them as genuine as possible. I hardly ever see harshlycritical get caught by a jumpscare. Dudes got nerves of steel. He also knows every font type by heart which is impressive.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Red Mundus posted:

Probably already posted but I'm loving Harshlycritical and MrKraven. Both mostly do jumpscare type horror games but play them as genuine as possible. I hardly ever see harshlycritical get caught by a jumpscare. Dudes got nerves of steel. He also knows every font type by heart which is impressive.

They're let's players, so I dunno how well they fit into this thread, but I gotta second that they're both pretty fun to watch.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

nine-gear crow posted:

If it was Phelan he'd be in the video. ;) He doesn't live in the states. There's actually two people in the backseat with me on either side, Brian and Brad's girlfriends. They don't want to be on camera but it was also freezing. But they're in the back seat of videos a lot, with varying degrees of being hidden, ha ha.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

If it was Phelan he'd be in the video. ;) He doesn't live in the states. There's actually two people in the backseat with me on either side, Brian and Brad's girlfriends. They don't want to be on camera but it was also freezing. But they're in the back seat of videos a lot, with varying degrees of being hidden, ha ha.

Oh cool. Thank you for clearing that up.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

They're let's players, so I dunno how well they fit into this thread, but I gotta second that they're both pretty fun to watch.

There is actually a thread for off-site LPers in Let's Play that I am not gonna try to link because I'm on mobile and still pretty bad at it. Cyron asked about Totalbiscuit earlier and he has come up there several times.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Does Erik from "Internet Comment Etiquette" count as an "internet video reviewer"? He just uploaded a new episode dealing with the "Mandela Effect" and it's pretty fantastic stuff. There are episodes where he deals with more political subject matter, but I think this one avoids that?

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

I watched Miami Connection and Hard Ticket to Hawaii after that BOTW. Both were enjoyably cheesey which is what I expected based on the talks about them.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

New Best of the Worst video: Sequels to Carnosaur, Skateboard Kid and Future Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNUg3XvVKk

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

New Best of the Worst video: Sequels to Carnosaur, Skateboard Kid and Future Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNUg3XvVKk

Rich Evans is love, Rich Evans is life

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I Hate Everything's Search for the Worst turns up a kind of gem of earnestness, I guess you could call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtiVL6z8wE

Gets kinda sweet at the end, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If anyone is into videogame speedruns, a youtuber named Summoning Salt has been releasing videos on popular speedruns (Mario, Punch Out, etc.) and how their world records have developed over time. It's pretty neat stuff, though a little dry.

This one is for the Super Metroid world record.

• Locked thread