Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

To elaborate a bit on Chuck and SF Debris: This guy has a rather insane work ethic that puts many other reviewers to shame. He has been uploading an average of two fifteen minute reviews a week for well over a decade, and has a backlog that is probably years long. Recently, he has had to suspend taking on anymore review requests due to stress until he can get the backlog under control. Also to note: he has been doing this while also raising two kids. The guy is a machine when it comes to producing content. He doesn't have much flair when it comes to style, but his reviews are chock full of detail, and like the guys above have said, he is open to just about anything.

I just wish he would get something more interesting to review than Full Moon on the anime front.

He has been intermittently posting videos on Gurren Lagann and Kino's Journey, and he did Gundam 0080 a while ago so he does have good stuff to review.

And to add on to that incredible backlog, when he reviewed 0080 he also said that other Gundam stuff was on his to do list, and literal years after the fact has still not done anything else even remotely Gundam related.

Terrible Opinions posted:

He also works full-time as a teacher.

I thought he quit so he could work from home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, i mean, i don't begrudge him for sticking with something if it's working for him, i'm just amazed it's still working when the escapist is a empty-husk of a website
it would not surprise me if ip issues play a role though. i remember there was a big semi-public fight when extra credits stopped getting paid and tried to take their show independent and what's his name, bob, had to rebrand his show after getting cut since the escapist still owned the name or something

Speaking of Extra Credits, aside from their main show (which is mostly okay to occasionally pretty good) they also have Extra History where they spend 4-6 episodes picking some less known historical moments, or the lives of historical figures and giving a crash course narrative on them. I'd recommend their series on Admiral Yi for one of their best sets, but most the stuff in there is really fascinating and an easy listen.

On the negatives though, the narrator, Daniel, edits his voice over to give it a higher pitch which I know annoys the poo poo out of some people, and they also make frequent mistakes (flags in particular, to the point that it's kind of running joke) though they do own up to these whenever they can. Almost every topic ends with an extra video where the writer points out mistakes that they made as well as pointing out where they fudged details to make for a better story. You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

Did anyone do a good review on the Bye Bye Man yet?

Red Letter Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1m3rGh6DUI&t=1383s

Brad Jones and Allison Pregler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0t9wcqIG1w

Nyx Fears and Night Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__fxBha_1N4

Pick your poison

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If anyone is into videogame speedruns, a youtuber named Summoning Salt has been releasing videos on popular speedruns (Mario, Punch Out, etc.) and how their world records have developed over time. It's pretty neat stuff, though a little dry.

This one is for the Super Metroid world record.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A guy by the name of Jon Bois a series called Pretty Good, which are about stories, mostly sports stories, that he finds genuinely entertaining. It's kind of confusing to find, as the first ten are on his personal Youtube channel, and the latest one is on SB Nation, which I'm pretty sure is a website he works for(?)

Here's his thoughts on professional poker and how absolutely insane it is.

Here's an episode on the career of Lonnie Smith

The story of the Dumbest Boy Alive

The utter depravity that was the 1904 Olympic Marathon

My personal favorite, the most humiliating, crushing defeat in football history

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Summoning Salt did another world record progression video, this one's on Mario Kart 64.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If you're not already sick of videos dissecting The Dark Knight, Rant & Bollox analyzes the movie through the theme of identity

I'd recommend some of his other videos too, particularly the ones on Green Lantern, Terminator 1 & 2, and Batman v Superman :can:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
drat you Wallace, I just rewatched all your Baywatching episodes and now you drop this on me! :argh:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Down the Rabbit Hole on Rajneeshpuram, a new age movement that managed to take over an Oregon city and morphed into hilariously inept supervillainy.

• Locked thread