Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Very disappointed none of you have mentioned CineFix yet, as they're probably some of my favourite reviewers out there. For one, there's tons of variety on the channel, from 8-Bit parodies to trailer remixes to trivia shows like Things You Didn't Know or What's The Difference? and even just straight forward reviews and roundtables for what's happening in theatres right now.

But their best series is easily their movie lists series, which are so, so much better than you'd expect from watching any given top 10 list on YouTube. Here's their top ten on colour in movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILIeNjbH1E

Every spot is basically a completely different category, talking in-depth on colour theory with vivid examples, and there's just such enthusiasm and energy when talking about movies that it makes me want to watch all the picks on this list just because CineFix talked about them so lovingly, which is exactly why I watch video reviewers in the first place, to get excited for and have a reason to watch a movie I've never seen before, or even better, see a movie I've seen before with a new eye. I love it.

On the flip side, Ozzy Man Reviews is an aussie man reviewing random poo poo on the internet. Here he's talking about Ping Pong. Here he's talking about why hockey is better than soccer. He also does Game of Thrones reviews, his longest reviews but still clocking under ten minutes yet nailing all the basics like what's happening and why it matters. He churns out a lot of stuff and not all of it's good but it's all short so he's great if you need to burn a couple of minutes and want a laugh.

Alacron posted:

If anyone is into videogame speedruns, a youtuber named Summoning Salt has been releasing videos on popular speedruns (Mario, Punch Out, etc.) and how their world records have developed over time. It's pretty neat stuff, though a little dry.

This one is for the Super Metroid world record.

This is also a good series and I'm hopeful he continues cause it's a super niche thing that not many people would be familiar with beyond those already involved, and there's tons of material to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I find it really telling that Bob's critiques of CinemaSins videos is consistently better edited with obviously more time, effort and thought put into each one.

CinemaSins is basic subtitles with a "ding" sound. You can pound that out in an afternoon.

Meanwhile in the response videos you've got pans, zooms, actual design elements around the counter with video-in-video, and some other effects, nothing super fancy or complex but a definite step up compared to the no-effort videos CS puts out, even discounting the scripts (which is what the response video is all about) there's obviously more time spent on each video.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
BotW has everybody sucking Nintendo's dick, and so far Turbo Button is one of the better people to articulate why one change they made works so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgBvbX1wTRA

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I "finished" BotW recently, or at least beat Ganon so I could put the game down and play Nier, and I also noticed a lot of Wind Waker similarities, with the biggest notable change being that BotW is much more willing to trust players than Wind Waker ever was.

Like, in Wind Waker, you start on your home island, then you sneak into the Forsaken Fortress, then get the boat, sail to Dragon Roost, get the actual Wind Waker so you can change wind direction and beeline to Forest Haven. You can try to explore at this point but you don't even have bombs yet, so you still need to get the final pearl to open the Tower of the Gods to get the Master Sword so you can save your sister, finally, which happens with a healthy dose of plot twists and cutscenes. It's only after all that happens that you're given the quest to find the Triforce pieces and power up the Master Sword that the game actually opens up and lets you explore without limits. It's only then, after three full dungeons and hours of exploration already having taken place, that the game has given you all the tools you need to actually explore everywhere with no restrictions.

You can do either of the final two dungeons in any order! You can find any of the Triforce pieces in any order! You can go anywhere and do anything! It's an amazing feeling and one of the reasons Wind Waker is one of the better Zeldas.

But the game spent half it's playtime holding the players hands, slowly loosening the grip over time but never really letting go until all of the useful items have been found, usually with a dungeon serving as a useful tutorial so the players know how to use the items they have. Wind Waker is a slow, slow burn to get to the good stuff, because it never trusts the player to figure things out on their own, they need to be shown how to use what they have before they're let out into the world.

BotW does none of that. It's got the starting area, with the old man showing you how to hunt, how to chop down trees, how to cook, all things you need to actually explore and talk to him for him to explain, he doesn't lean over your shoulder the whole time telling you where to find the axe to chop down trees with, and there are shrines teaching you how to use your powers, and then you get the glider and you're done! You have everything you need to beat the game now, and only two quests to start with; go see Impa, and Destroy Ganon.

Both games have the same basic structure of giving you useful, multipurpose items and a huge, open world to explore at your leisure, finding interesting things at your own pace, but the pacing between the two is radically different, and it mostly comes down to WW not trusting players to understand how to play as much as BotW does.

EDIT: Also, and I only just thought of this now, but one of the reasons people hated the Triforce quest is because the game's pace slows right the gently caress down when it starts, because it's such a sudden shift to go from constantly being pushed towards the next stage of the quest, to the game finally letting go and saying "you go figure it out yourself now." That shift in tone, that push to get to the real meat of the game, the exploration, comes very suddenly, and people didn't like it because it's different from what the game had been doing up to that point. Players didn't have their own agency up until that point, and they didn't know what to do with it when they got it.

Nintendo's response to that was to make Twilight Princess just like the early parts of Wind Waker all the way to the end, with the game constantly pushing you towards your next objective.

BotW fixes that mistake by never pushing the player at all. Everything the player does, is by their own agency. The game actually teaches players to be self-motivated.

SatansBestBuddy has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread